Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Round All Talk

Post New Thread Reply   

Necrothug
Old 12-16-2009 , 23:25   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #11

The reason i asked is because I haven't seen any other plugins for Left 4 Dead that enable and disable Alltalk based upon player locations.
Antithasys
Old 12-17-2009 , 02:19   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #12

Simple AllTalk Manager...

Look at my sig.

When you think about asking a question... consider what have you tried?
Mr. Zero
Veteran Member
Old 12-17-2009 , 04:37   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #13

:/

This plugin doesn't require you to setup multiple events before use AND it uses time delays which I couldn't see your plugin do. I also provide sounds effect for when changing the all talk cvar.

Besides that, this is specifically a L4D/L4D2 target plugin.

I wouldn't say this replicates your plugin, but rather provides an alternative if you are hosting a L4D2 server.
Antithasys
Old 12-17-2009 , 06:09   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #14

Please be aware that I have no bias against your plugin or the coding in your plugin. I have looked at the code and it looks ok. There are some things that I would have, and have done, differently; but that in and of itself doesn't distinguish this plugin from actually two or three other plugins that offer a similar functionality.

That being said.... the unapprovement was not inteded to be a measure of the code, but more of replication. There may be very minor differences from mine, or others plugins, but they are very minor. Approved plugins, and thus the plugin search tool, are only useful if they show the non replicating plugins of good quality.

Necrothug
Old 12-17-2009 , 13:24   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithasys View Post
Please be aware that I have no bias against your plugin or the coding in your plugin. I have looked at the code and it looks ok. There are some things that I would have, and have done, differently; but that in and of itself doesn't distinguish this plugin from actually two or three other plugins that offer a similar functionality.

That being said.... the unapprovement was not inteded to be a measure of the code, but more of replication. There may be very minor differences from mine, or others plugins, but they are very minor. Approved plugins, and thus the plugin search tool, are only useful if they show the non replicating plugins of good quality.
Forgive me for defending this plugin, but I really don't see how you can justify unapproving it. There are multiple plugins for L4D that in the end, achieve the same results, but how they achieve them is different.

For example, Tankbuster 2 and Weapon Spawner both allow additional weapons to be spawned, and both plugins are approved.

I for one prefer this plugin to yours simply because the amount of configuration to achieve the advertised results is dramatically simpler with this plugin. I understand that I can continue to use this plugin even though it is unapproved, but future development and refinement is most likely halted due to the unapproval, and that is disappointing.

In addition, I find it unsettling that it was unapproved by someone with bias on the matter. It seems like a 3rd party with nothing at stake should compare these and make that decision.

My apologies if this has stepped on some toes, I have no connection to the author except for appreciating his plugin, I just feel like an action like this can be detrimental to the plugin authoring process.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 12-17-2009 , 13:58   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrothug View Post
For example, Tankbuster 2 and Weapon Spawner both allow additional weapons to be spawned, and both plugins are approved.
Minor nitpick, but you are incorrect. Neither of those have been approved yet (they are still in the New Plugins forum), and it is very likely that only one of them will be as they do indeed provide near the exact same functionality as each other.
Necrothug
Old 12-17-2009 , 14:12   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Minor nitpick, but you are incorrect. Neither of those have been approved yet (they are still in the New Plugins forum), and it is very likely that only one of them will be as they do indeed provide near the exact same functionality as each other.
Fair enough, but hopefully my other points don't fall on deaf ears.
Mr. Zero
Veteran Member
Old 12-17-2009 , 14:24   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithasys View Post

This plugin is however mod specified, doesn't that make it at least differently from the rest, where yours works generally on every mod? Of course we can agree on that just because one plugin have a just a single change in the code from another plugin, shouldn't mean it would get approved as the similarity would be very much alike.

However this plugin not only is mod specified I also provide a few configurations from other plugins. Sounds and time delays being the primary example. Besides that I also watch for all talk cvar changes to see if an admin changes it, and pause the plugin from doing anything until the cvar is reset.

Of course in my opinion that is enough for one plugin to different itself from other plugins doing "basic" the same job.

All in all, its alright if its unapproved. I can understand you don't want the plugin search to give you 7 millions of the same plugin. After all I did this for my own server, some people just might need the same thing ;).
Antithasys
Old 12-18-2009 , 17:51   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrothug View Post
In addition, I find it unsettling that it was unapproved by someone with bias on the matter. It seems like a 3rd party with nothing at stake should compare these and make that decision.
I certainly understand your point, but there are a few issues with that. I always look at plugins from a non-biased point of view. I have unapproved many plugins for duplication, and wasn't the author of a duplication. I think that if you knew me, how long I have been doing this, and my general rep in the community, you would find that I am always fair.

More to the point thou. If you notice, I am really the only active approver, and one of only a very very few that are also a moderator. Because of this, there are really only two options when it comes to reviewing something similar to what I have written. 1) do nothing, and it would remain in new plugins forever, 2) review it and decided. Since I don't believe #1 is fair, I am left with #2.

That being said, we did get a new approver last week, and I will be more than happy to defer to psychonic when it comes to this plugin if asked by the author. I do not believe the result would be any different, as we all follow the same rules, but still more than happy to do so.

untalented893
Old 12-19-2009 , 02:09   Re: [L4D2] Round All Talk
Reply With Quote #20

Shame that this wasn't approved. I truly appreciate this plugin as well. Was hoping for an update that would allow you to change the sounds via the cfg file. I can understand that it provides similar functionality, but I have to side with Mr. Zero (I know, I have like 4 posts :-/ ). The time delay is very convenient for l4d. It's also a nice plugin that is short, simple, and to the point because it is only meant for 1 game.