Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?

Post New Thread Reply   

p0kerx
Old 10-21-2017 , 13:06   Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everybody,

currently i'm constructing one server with a scripter with which we managed to put a FPS limiter/blocker to 99.5. There are on other servers as well. Whenever you enter with FPS higher than 99.5 (no matter what means you have used, developer, override etc) you will be kicked unless you establish 99.5 fps.

But here is the thing - i've heard of some console related commands that hide the fact that you use more than the legit fps and im asking if they actually exist?

Answers would be strongly appreciated.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 13:53   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #2

The server's FPS and the client's FPS are two entirely different things. It is not possible to know (or force) a client's actual frame rate and there is absolutely no reason to enforce a frame rate.

The best that you can do, IIRC, is to query the fps_max cvar and see if they are limiting themselves.

Last edited by fysiks; 10-21-2017 at 13:53.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 14:11   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
The server's FPS and the client's FPS are two entirely different things. It is not possible to know (or force) a client's actual frame rate and there is absolutely no reason to enforce a frame rate.

The best that you can do, IIRC, is to query the fps_max cvar and see if they are limiting themselves.
It's actually pretty easy to know all player's (aproximate)FPS, just count it in prethink
if you calculate for more than a second and then divide, the count will be even more accurate

enforcing FPS? not gonna happen, but you can kick or at least freeze the players
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 18:29   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
It's actually pretty easy to know all player's (aproximate)FPS, just count it in prethink
if you calculate for more than a second and then divide, the count will be even more accurate
I'm quite sure that is based on the update rate, not your graphics card's frame rate.
Old 10-21-2017 , 20:44   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #5

I'm not here to argue wether or not limiting the FPS is possible lol. If you all want some examples - I can give you some IPs where you can't play with more than 99.5 fps, it will kick you and tell you to change it to that much. Im not a scripter, but i've been told that its impossible to forbid using commands in cs 1.6. You cant restrict someone from using developer 1 or fps_override 1 so from what ive been told the plugin simply detects how much fps you are using and kicks you, thats all.

But lets get back to my original question. Are there any possibilites of bypassing this and lying the plugin to how much fps are you actually using? As I said I heard that there are some commands that put a false fps number and magically you could enter in the server while in reality you are playing with say 500 fps.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:13
Relaxing
This message has been deleted by Relaxing. Reason: Wrong, incorrect.
JusTGo
Veteran Member
Old 10-22-2017 , 02:41   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxing View Post
A metamod plugin can overload the CPU, to give the server more FPS
Follow link: mmtimer
his talking about client not server fps.
Old 10-22-2017 , 03:48   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #7

The server can query client's cvars, like fps_max or fps_override, to check their values and do some action based on that(kick the client for example), but you can't force settings.
There are no commands that will allow you to have more than fps_max FPS without the server being able to query it, as far as I know.
However, even though I haven't seen this anywhere, it should be possible to develop a cheat that will send fake cvar values to the server once it queries them.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 10-22-2017 , 05:19   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0kerx View Post
I'm not here to argue wether or not limiting the FPS is possible lol. If you all want some examples - I can give you some IPs where you can't play with more than 99.5 fps, it will kick you and tell you to change it to that much. Im not a scripter, but i've been told that its impossible to forbid using commands in cs 1.6. You cant restrict someone from using developer 1 or fps_override 1 so from what ive been told the plugin simply detects how much fps you are using and kicks you, thats all.

But lets get back to my original question. Are there any possibilites of bypassing this and lying the plugin to how much fps are you actually using? As I said I heard that there are some commands that put a false fps number and magically you could enter in the server while in reality you are playing with say 500 fps.
That really depends on how you are measuring the fps in the first place, hence the discussion about that.

A cvar query can be easily fooled (though you would need a cheat or to alter the game) so its not impossible but somewhat improbable.

There are no such commands readily available in the game however so no need to worry about that.

If you count the fps in the more expensive way I described, then it would be impossible to bypass the check (even if they did, there would be no benefit to higher fps if the server is not processing them).
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
p0kerx
Old 10-22-2017 , 12:06   Re: Is it possible to bypass serverīs FPS limiter with console commands?
Reply With Quote #9

I see. Thanks to everyone. I just wanted to know if there is a, say, popular way of bypassing it. It seems there is not and youd have to code a cheat to do so. Of course, cheaters are everywhere and one cant prevent them at 100% but what I simply wanted is to be sure that at least the majority wouldnt be able to bypass it even if its possible in rare occasions and thats what im aiming for.

Mod can lock the thread.