Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Signals

Post New Thread Reply   

Robotex
Old 03-18-2017 , 21:13   Signals
Reply With Quote #1

I'm wondering is there something that allows a script to intercept signals such as SIGINT/SIGTERM on linux or CTRL_CLOSE_EVENT on Windows?
If not, is there a function/forward that will notify a script that the server is about to shutdown (after pressing CTRL+C for example) and allow me to cancel the shutdown process?

Thanks in advance.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 03-18-2017 , 22:09   Re: Signals
Reply With Quote #2

No.

You can implement a signal handler in an extension, I guess. On Linux, you could use bash's trap (probably also available in most shells) to set the server to ignore whatever signals you want before you start it.

It seems really weird that you would want this, though.
Robotex
Old 03-19-2017 , 06:13   Re: Signals
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyren View Post
No.

You can implement a signal handler in an extension, I guess. On Linux, you could use bash's trap (probably also available in most shells) to set the server to ignore whatever signals you want before you start it.

It seems really weird that you would want this, though.
I don't want to ignore the signals but actually use them to notify my scripts to do some actions.
One common case is when you run SRCDS in a Docker container, whenever a stop command is performed it sends a SIGTERM signal to the process and I would like to run some triggers and cleanup before it shuts down gracefully.

Sure, I could find other ways to do the same like constantly polling for some specific files that have the only purpose of triggering actions, but it seems a bit "hackish" way to do what I want to achieve.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 03-19-2017 , 09:34   Re: Signals
Reply With Quote #4

In general, you can't just do whatever you want in a signal handler because they interrupt your main program flow. To be safe, an extension would probably do no more than set a flag in the handler with the flag(s) being polled elsewhere. It's conceptually not much different from files, though I suppose less expensive, relatively.

You have other choices for communication that don't require much work such as rcon or directly sending commands to the terminal (easily done with screen/tmux).