Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

What I got deleted from ES Forums

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-08-2007 , 12:46   Re: What I got deleted from ES Forums

Explain how my arguments are flames, please, do tell. I'd like to hear the breakdown.

We're not bitter, we decided to take the time to confirm what we already knew but no one believed.

This is not the only thing SourceMod can do, it can do significantly more, however in the field of benchmarks these are the most common tests and they are relevent.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
BAILOPAN
Old 06-08-2007 , 13:27   Re: What I got deleted from ES Forums

PAGC: We delete posts linking to EventScripts because this forum is about SourceMod; we don't want users promoting EventScripts here right now.

sessus: You have a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. The article isn't about SourceMod, and the test wasn't about "1+1."

I am (trying) to specialize in high performance language design and implementation. The article is a research article and you could swap SM for any other language and the performance difference would be the same. I've said this a number of times now.

Even though this isn't about SourceMod, since you brought it up, Sessus - we also released benchmarks against our OWN past product (AMX Mod X), because performance is one of our biggest feats with SourceMod. We've written article after article extensively on SourceMod's API features. There's at least 20 of them, maybe double that. We can't release benchmarks as well?

awuh0: Is there a newer version available? I tested with 1.5, not 1.3.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 06-08-2007 at 13:30.
OneEyed
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 06-08-2007 , 14:16   Re: What I got deleted from ES Forums

He's not saying to use SourceMod, but merely pointing out how optimized it's gotten to be. Any real programmer knows that making something run as fast as possible is the main goal.

This just puts it into perspective. If you could careless about how fast optimizations work, and want simplicity, by all means use EventScripts. Bailopan even mentioned the finer points of why it was laggin behind. Matti can definately improve the engine a lot more. But at its current state, it just can't compete with SourceMod.

The team is coming out with new extensions to hook into new functions every day. By the time you know it, you'll be seeing a lot of ports from AMXX plugins to Source. Can't say that's a bad thing!