Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on [FIXED]

Post New Thread Reply   

Scoot Sauce
Old 10-28-2015 , 21:43   [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on [FIXED]
Reply With Quote #1

Okay, I have been trying to get this model to work for 2 hours and I reached my breaking point.

When I use crowbar to compile the qc, it generates a few new stuff and doesn't pop out with any errors. However, when I go to the files location or hit "Load in model viewer" it isn't there because the files weren't dropped at all.

I looked at the .qc several times and nothing apears to be wrong, but it doesn't work at all.

So PLEASE help.

Here is the foldier

*Fixed so DL is down*

Last edited by Scoot Sauce; 11-01-2015 at 15:18.
Maximilian_
Veteran Member
Old 10-29-2015 , 02:18   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #2

All compiling, lol
Scoot Sauce
Old 10-29-2015 , 21:33   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #3

Old 10-29-2015 , 23:28   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #4

Yes, yes, all compiling, this is not a trick

Last edited by Maximilian_; 10-29-2015 at 23:28.
Scoot Sauce
Old 10-29-2015 , 23:52   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #5

No I know how to compile, it doesn't export the files when I have finished compiling spite it saying it had no errors.

Last edited by Scoot Sauce; 10-29-2015 at 23:52.
Maximilian_
Veteran Member
Old 10-30-2015 , 11:46   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #6

Hm, for me all exported (this scout like elf?)
Scoot Sauce
Old 10-30-2015 , 20:11   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #7

Well if it exported correctly PLEASE send me the export products

(And yes it is a Elf Scout, working on a huge update for Transit's server and my own)
Old 11-01-2015 , 09:32   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #8

for a while now it puts the in the /bin/models dir, unless you specified a different path in crowbar or your qc
sarysa
Old 11-01-2015 , 12:39   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #9

Or you can just command line compile, which is what I do. Here's an example batch file:

Code:
Z:\steam\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin\source2009\bin\studiomdl.exe -dumpmaterials -game "Z:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" -nop4 -nox360 C:\vsp_models\epicscout\scout.qc
copy /Y "Z:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\models\epicscout\epic_scout_normal.*" C:\hlserver\tf2\tf\download\models\epicscout\epic_scout_normal.*
Z:\steam\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin\source2009\bin\studiomdl.exe -dumpmaterials -game "Z:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" -nop4 -nox360 C:\vsp_models\epicscout\scout_protected.qc
copy /Y "Z:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\models\epicscout\epic_scout_protected.*" C:\hlserver\tf2\tf\download\models\epicscout\epic_scout_protected.*
pause
These are the contents of a batch file that compiles both of Epic Scout's models. I've used the same scheme for dozens of other models.

Lines 1 and 3 compile the normal and an alternate model for Epic Scout. It ends up in the "models" directory of TF2, but not "download/models". For this, you'd have to add "download" to the TF2 path. Since this only puts it in the TF2 directory...
Lines 2 and 4 copy the model from the client TF2 directory to an appropriate location on my test server, which is stored locally. This is necessary as certain aspects of the model will be bugged if it's not on the server side. (for player models, the most that will break are taunts like Conga...for object models, they'll fail to function because the server needs its physics model)
Line 5 simply pauses the output so you can see any errors that happen when you double click the batch file.

Obviously, your file paths will have to be set to reflect the locations of your studiomdl.exe file (I use Source SDK 2009 for this), your TF2 location, your server location, your model's export path, and your QC location. You also need to manually make the directory on your server path if you use lines 2/4. It's more of a learning curve to do the scary command line thing, but once you do, for your object you can simply double click the batch file and it builds in 5 seconds. It's way faster than using Crowbar if you need to fine tune the model multiple times.

Last edited by sarysa; 11-01-2015 at 12:44.
Akuba
Old 11-01-2015 , 14:43   Re: [HELP] Crowbar won't export a .mdl for a new boss I am working on
Reply With Quote #10

actually:
Quote:
$modelname "models/freak_fortress_2/elf_scout"
means the model will be saved in "models/models/freak_fortress_2/elf_scout". There is no need to use models/ in the path:

EDIT 1: What you wanted to write was probably:
Quote:
$modelname "freak_fortress_2/elf_scout/elf_scout.mdl"
EDIT 2: Oh, and your animationlist in your .qc is outdated ^^"

Last edited by Akuba; 11-01-2015 at 14:46.