Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D] Restricted Zones

Post New Thread Reply   

msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 01-14-2009 , 22:51   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #61

Yeah the update invalidated a lot of good plugins, but really good for Valve for recognizing the issues and fixing them.
Old 01-15-2009 , 01:55   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #62

I like this idea, not sure about the implementation... timers?

I was thinking of using spawning invisible entities that the survivors couldn't go past, but the infected could (can you even do that? at least in ghost mode you can go past it). No extra strain on the server that way at all, no "teleporting" which breaks the feel of the game either.
djromero
Old 01-15-2009 , 09:43   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
I like this idea, not sure about the implementation... timers?

I was thinking of using spawning invisible entities that the survivors couldn't go past, but the infected could (can you even do that? at least in ghost mode you can go past it). No extra strain on the server that way at all, no "teleporting" which breaks the feel of the game either.
Well, if the "move-to" location is near the "restricted-zone" and it's radius is small (less than 100), it won't break the feel of the game.

About timers, well, would you think of a better way of doing checks every X amount of time??

If you didn't notice, the checks only become often when the player is near a restricted zone, and the smaller frequency is 0.5 secons.

Do you really think this would put strain on the server???? Not at all. An additional common infected would put more strain in the server than these checks.

Why don't you give it a try?

msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 01-15-2009 , 13:45   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
If anyone wants to try this, a "locked" func_door with the tools/toolsnodraw texture would work.
Old 01-15-2009 , 18:09   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #65

I just installed the plugin and I must say, it's brilliant, The only problem is that we are not able to specify if we want to restrict an area for infected or survivor, there are some areas that I would like to restrict for infected, such as the exploit in the first level of no mercy that lets you get out of the map as hunter.
djromero
Old 01-15-2009 , 20:25   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
If anyone wants to try this, a "locked" func_door with the tools/toolsnodraw texture would work.
That could work .... i'll look into it. Thx.

djromero
Old 01-15-2009 , 20:26   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgooch View Post
I just installed the plugin and I must say, it's brilliant, The only problem is that we are not able to specify if we want to restrict an area for infected or survivor, there are some areas that I would like to restrict for infected, such as the exploit in the first level of no mercy that lets you get out of the map as hunter.
Hum, you're right. I'll add that.

Yareking
Old 01-23-2009 , 14:26   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #68

I do not have root over the server i rent. So how do i make those .cfg file on my computer so i can upload them to my server via Ftp. Thx
liam12360
Old 01-31-2009 , 01:42   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #69

I haven't read the whole thread so I dont know if this has been implemented but..

You should add some kind of HUD notification when the player has been moved saying like 'That place is restricted on this server.'
Also, arn't those closets made for survivors to spawn in then wait to be rescued? This might screw that up a bit, but im no expert.

-----

Quote:
I do not have root over the server i rent. So how do i make those .cfg file on my computer so i can upload them to my server via Ftp. Thx
Well, you'll need to open a fresh notepad document and type whatever you want to be in the cfg. then when you go to save it, change the .txt extension to .cfg
Then, assuming you know how to log in via FTP to your server, simply upload to the desired server. If you don't know how to upload via FTP, click here to learn.
I know you don't have root on your server, but i'm 99% sure that your host would give you FTP. Try looking around in your web control panel. If you still can't find it, drop them a support ticket.

Last edited by liam12360; 01-31-2009 at 01:47.
djromero
Old 01-31-2009 , 01:51   Re: [L4D] Restricted Zones
Reply With Quote #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam12360 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread so I dont know if this has been implemented but..

You should add some kind of HUD notification when the player has been moved saying like 'That place is restricted on this server.'
Also, arn't those closets made for survivors to spawn in then wait to be rescued? This might screw that up a bit, but im no expert.
Yes, the players get a message (using hinttext) about the place being restricted.

About the closets, yes, they're meant for survivors to spawn when they get killed, but that's on COOP, and this is meant for VS. COOP and VS maps are different maps.