Raised This Month: $9 Target: $400
 2% 

Old thread bumping


Post New Thread Reply   
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Author Message
AzureStars
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milky Way
Old 10-18-2021 , 23:20   Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, i would like to bump an old thread of mine the only problem is its 5 yrs old and i don't wanna piss anyone off doing this. What's the forum etiquette in regards to bumping very old threads?
Is it ok to bump it or shall i make a brand new thread even though i will basically be asking the exact same thing again.

I just wanna find out if anyone else can help fix a problem that is still relevant even now.
It was never solved but hoping for some new input

thx
AzureStars is offline
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2012
Old 10-19-2021 , 00:19   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureStars View Post
Hi, i would like to bump an old thread of mine the only problem is its 5 yrs old and i don't wanna piss anyone off doing this. What's the forum etiquette in regards to bumping very old threads?
Forum etiquette, ...? The AlliedModders Rules clearly says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedModders Rules
Do not "bump" your threads. Bumping is posting simply to make the thread higher in the forum sort order.
From the [Solved] Ignored Threads? thread, there is a very crystal clear post about that on this link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureStars View Post
Is it ok to bump it or shall i make a brand new thread even though i will basically be asking the exact same thing again.
Brand new thread? The AlliedModders Rules also include:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedModders Rules
Do not cross-post threads to multiple forums (or posts to multiple threads).
As both options mentioned appear to be in conflict with the AlliedModders Rules, I wouldn't suggest any of them.
__________________
Mostly known as "DarkDeviL".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
DarkDeviL is offline
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Romania
Old 10-19-2021 , 04:09   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #3

I feel like this would not qualify as bumping. Bumping is posting a meaningless reply just to get more visibility for your topic. Adding relevant information(that may help others help you) is not bumping. Saying that the issue is not resolved 5 years later and you still need help is reasonable.

The purpose of this forum is to help people. The rules are there to prevent chaos, but in this case they prevent a user from asking a genuine question. I believe the primary mission of the forum is more important and the rules need to be applied in such a way that they do not interfere with it.

There is clearly an oversight because a different person could post in your 5 years old topic and not break any rules. But since it is your topic, you can't which is silly in my humble opinion.
__________________

Last edited by HamletEagle; 10-19-2021 at 04:11.
HamletEagle is offline
AzureStars
Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milky Way
Old 10-20-2021 , 09:14   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #4

My main thought behind this was since 5 yrs have expired maybe there there were new members since joined the forum that could solve my problem that was all, a problem that still exists to this day. I was hoping for new input or maybe some person didn't even see my original thread but knows a solution.

Anyway it's fine i asked and i got my answer, i wanted to be sure to avoid breaking any rules that was my main concern. I'm not going to get involved in debates over it's right or wrong to bump a thread.

Have a wonderful day everybody
AzureStars is offline
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: mom's basement
Old 10-20-2021 , 13:25   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #5

out of topic,
there are just too many topics of
"what title say",
"I follow tutorial and I did everything...", but never mention which tutorial and what he did

People, just tell more specific into 1st post.
Bacardi is offline
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2012
Old 10-29-2021 , 12:15   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I feel like this would not qualify as bumping.
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
The purpose of this forum is to help people. The rules are there to prevent chaos, but in this case they prevent a user from asking a genuine question. I believe the primary mission of the forum is more important and the rules need to be applied in such a way that they do not interfere with it.
I simply took into account what OP asked about, and that would be multiple options with rule violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
There is clearly an oversight because a different person could post in your 5 years old topic and not break any rules. But since it is your topic, you can't which is silly in my humble opinion.
Silly or not, I'd say rules are rules.

In the end, I don't believe I ever said that nothing would be possible at all.
__________________
Mostly known as "DarkDeviL".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
DarkDeviL is offline
thEsp
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Old 10-29-2021 , 14:31   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
I do.
So what? The majority of us don't feel like so. It just so happens that a thread slips under the hood and is left unanswered, prohibiting its OP from updating their thread is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
I'd say rules are rules.
Whatever the case is this rule should be revamped because: 1) it doesn't verbosely explain what can be considered bumping, 2) in practice it isn't widely enforced, 3) it theory it doesn't have levels of maliciousness, e.g a useful update to a thread is as useless/malicious as a mere bump.

I have no idea why it was dropped but the 14 days bumping delay rule was perfect.
thEsp is offline
bigdaddy424
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Old 10-29-2021 , 20:06   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
So what? The majority of us don't feel like so. It just so happens that a thread slips under the hood and is left unanswered, prohibiting its OP from updating their thread is stupid.


Whatever the case is this rule should be revamped because: 1) it doesn't verbosely explain what can be considered bumping, 2) in practice it isn't widely enforced, 3) it theory it doesn't have levels of maliciousness, e.g a useful update to a thread is as useless/malicious as a mere bump.

I have no idea why it was dropped but the 14 days bumping delay rule was perfect.
There are multiple articles and threads asking the same question as OP did. You will find answers from moderators from different sites, different kind of forums and numbers of active members. Here's a quick google search on regards to posting on dead threads.
https://communitybuilding.stackexcha...active-threads
bigdaddy424 is offline
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2012
Old 10-30-2021 , 06:52   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
The majority of us don't feel like so.
I would be very happy to see your power of attorney to speak on behalf of "the majority of us".

In reality, the AlliedModders Rules isn't about your own personal opinions or feeling, or any other kind of notional things, but what is actually written there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
Whatever the case is this rule should be revamped because:
I don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
2) in practice it isn't widely enforced,
I think you should look up the word "practice", and while you are at it, look up "reality", too.

Because in reality, just because you don't (believe you) see any attention, it doesn't actually mean it isn't widely enforced, or that nothing is ever being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
1) it doesn't verbosely explain what can be considered bumping,
3) it theory it doesn't have levels of maliciousness, [...]
Providing an exact cookbook with backdoors and loopholes, in regards to get away with (what would otherwise be) violations of the AlliedModders Rules, even within the AlliedModders Rules, isn't something I suggest you to expect.

That kind of thing would just cause even more chaos.
__________________
Mostly known as "DarkDeviL".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
DarkDeviL is offline
thEsp
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Old 10-30-2021 , 14:13   Re: Old thread bumping
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
I would be very happy to see your power of attorney to speak on behalf of "the majority of us".
You're delusional! Let's make a poll and then based on the results see which one of us is closer to "the majority". In addition, if you're so sure of your *holy* opinion, let's make it so that: if my expectations win you get to loose moderator privileges, otherwise I get punished with whatever you want and you can do in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
In reality, the AlliedModders Rules isn't about your own personal opinions or feeling, or any other kind of notional things, but what is actually written there.
You say this as if I wanted to personalify the rules, when in reality I was criticizing a part of it for being outdated and arguing why it should be improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
I don't agree.
Your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
I think you should look up the word "practice", and while you are at it, look up "reality", too.

Because in reality, just because you don't (believe you) see any attention, it doesn't actually mean it isn't widely enforced, or that nothing is ever being done.
Firstly, you're again being delusional, because there's enough to see to blatantly call it a not widely-enforced rule. The fact that you're talking to someone who has actually done this "bump but not so bumpy" rules evasion tells enough. (It wasn't a single bit malicious, but still you can't use this as an excuse.)

Secondly, you're being an ignorant, because this forum isn't just about SM. Judging by your title I don't know how much moderator privileges you have over the AMXX side, but what I do know is that you don't see nearly enough (if anything) for your point to stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
Providing an exact cookbook with backdoors and loopholes, in regards to get away with (what would otherwise be) violations of the AlliedModders Rules, even within the AlliedModders Rules, isn't something I suggest you to expect.

That kind of thing would just cause even more chaos.
What cookbook, what backdoors? With this logic a little kid stealing a loaf of bread is as dangerous as a bank robber.

And for once, if you were to get out of the little leecher world of yours and have a thread left unanswered, would you bump it in hopes of finding a solution to your problem?
thEsp is offline
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:34.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Theme made by Freecode