Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)

Post New Thread Reply   

Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:53   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #321

Stupid me.. Damn dislexia, I substituted You for I in your statement. I was wondering why you were seeming to go defensive on me stating like you qouted my msg so i couldn't go change it now. lol sorry bro.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 04-15-2011 , 01:10   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
That is too bad too. (Please read this with a polite tone, which is how I'm writing it) Valve wants to protect a huge commerce investment they made with hats. Definitely greed fueled.
And you're not greedy?

Hint: everyone is greedy.

Did you know it costs money for them to have people work on this game, and others?

Is there something wrong with earning money? Every dollar that they earn, is someone giving them a dollar all on their own, voluntarily.

They aren't forcing you to give them money. It's optional.

Second, they share the revenue with the people who make the good maps, they share the revenue with the modelers.

Therefore, it's not exactly like they are being evil. And if they were, it's your choice not to play or do business with them.
Mecha the Slag
Veteran Member
Old 04-15-2011 , 11:04   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #323

I noticed on my server that some custom models seem to be visible (without attachables) for no apparent reason. Others are still invisible.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern and I'm not really encouraging anyone to investigate and exploit, but it might be a small sign of hope in the future.

Thanks Voogru, for an awesome extension, sorry that people like Pulp Fortress had to exploit it.
Old 04-15-2011 , 15:08   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #324

Funny they care so much about the hats while servers that have been around for a while can still abuse special characters in their hostnames, fake players, fake bots with names, pings, etc.

As the little guy, you either have to appear busy and full as they do or your server will stay empty.

I've given up on keeping my server populated. It seems it can't be done unless you give people retarded premium benefits or use the aforementioned tricks.

I mean, servers like night team and saigns actually have active players for the garbage they do and offer while smaller servers suffer.

You should bring that up to Valve.
JossAckland :{D
Old 04-15-2011 , 17:31   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #325

Without completely agreeing with Casvdry, certainly my server's biggest perk was the attachable items. It set us apart. And all I offered was funny facial hair items. That alone seemed to keep people coming back.

A hat tip to Voogru regardless, the mod served me well. Rather than give more money to Valve, I'd be happy to donate to you for all the good times it has brought me and my crew.
eco3576
Old 04-15-2011 , 17:45   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #326

Was this change undocumented? I can't seem to find it in the update notes. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction?
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 04-15-2011 , 17:57   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco3576 View Post
Was this change undocumented? I can't seem to find it in the update notes. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction?
the name of the update was hatless
eco3576
Old 04-15-2011 , 18:00   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #328

I know, but I couldn't find any note of them breaking all attachable entities in the patch notes.
eraserhead
Veteran Member
Old 04-15-2011 , 18:21   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
I noticed on my server that some custom models seem to be visible (without attachables) for no apparent reason. Others are still invisible.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern and I'm not really encouraging anyone to investigate and exploit, but it might be a small sign of hope in the future.

Thanks Voogru, for an awesome extension, sorry that people like Pulp Fortress had to exploit it.
Why are you blaming us Mecha? The deal was that we could use attachments as long as we don't equip Valve models. And we didn't. Also i already argumented that in the facepunch thread that what we did is no threat to Valve. Lets just try to find out what the official reason is why Valve did this.

I don't understand why Valve never communicates with Alliedmods admins. Right now sourcemod is broken again as well, great update
Inspector Javert
Old 04-15-2011 , 18:24   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco3576 View Post
I know, but I couldn't find any note of them breaking all attachable entities in the patch notes.
They never documented it in the first patch that disabled it, either.