Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Youtube video in MOTD

Post New Thread Reply   

MrPickles
Old 08-29-2022 , 19:20   Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #1

Hi!, i wanna add a video of youtube in a MOTD, its possible? and how can i do it, and other doubt, if its possible to add buttons to the MOTD, like the main motd and 2 buttons for rules 1 and 2, if u pick rules 1, other motd appears with the rules 1, thanks!
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2022 , 21:35   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #2

The MOTD is a simple web browser (it doesn't support of of the fancier stuff). Typically, the best you can do is to point it to a website (that has been tested to work with the simple web server). So, you can have links and buttons to open different pages for your rules and stuff. It will need to be hosted on a public web server.

I've never tried to embed a YouTube video. I would guess it wouldn't work but it might (I think someone once said that Counter-Strike 1.6 has a newer web browser engine than what I play (Day of Defeat).

EDIT: I tested a YouTube video in an iframe and it didn't work for me.

Last edited by fysiks; 08-29-2022 at 21:49.
MrPickles
Old 08-29-2022 , 22:34   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
The MOTD is a simple web browser (it doesn't support of of the fancier stuff). Typically, the best you can do is to point it to a website (that has been tested to work with the simple web server). So, you can have links and buttons to open different pages for your rules and stuff. It will need to be hosted on a public web server.

I've never tried to embed a YouTube video. I would guess it wouldn't work but it might (I think someone once said that Counter-Strike 1.6 has a newer web browser engine than what I play (Day of Defeat).

EDIT: I tested a YouTube video in an iframe and it didn't work for me.
mm HL1 only shows plain text, not HTML, is there a way to update the MOTD for HTML, just like CS 1.6?
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2022 , 22:58   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #4

Looks like the MOTD in Half-Life was discussed here.
Old 01-20-2024 , 07:17   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #5

So, adding a YouTube video to an MOTD, right? I did something similar for my gaming server once. What you need to do is grab the Embed'code from the YouTube video. Just hit Share under the video and click on Embed. Then you copy this code and paste it into your MOTD. It's a bit of copy-pasting, but it works.

For the buttons thing, it's a little more complicated. You're gonna need some basic HTML and maybe a touch of JavaScript. I made buttons once for a different project. They weren't perfect, but they did the job. Look up some simple tutorials online, they'll guide you through making these buttons that can switch between different MOTDs.

Oh, and for making cool stuff for your MOTD, I found this neat video editor, https://www.movavi.com/mac-video-editor/. It's pretty straightforward and has some cool features that might help you jazz up your content. I used it for some of my own stuff, and it's pretty handy.

Last edited by armis12; 01-22-2024 at 08:39.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2024 , 10:27   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #7

Youtube videos worked several years ago in MOTD. The end was surrounding the time CS:GO had some money laundering activities from the containers.
Old 01-29-2024 , 10:39   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #8

html5 made things easier
Old 03-27-2024 , 17:55   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by armis12 View Post
So, adding a YouTube video to an MOTD, right? I did something similar for my gaming server once. What you need to do is grab the Embed'code from the YouTube video. Just hit Share under the video and click on Embed. Then you copy this code and paste it into your MOTD. It's a bit of copy-pasting, but it works.

For the buttons thing, it's a little more complicated. You're gonna need some basic HTML and maybe a touch of JavaScript. I made buttons once for a different project. They weren't perfect, but they did the job. Look up some simple tutorials online, they'll guide you through making these buttons that can switch between different MOTDs.

Oh, and for making cool stuff for your MOTD, I found this neat video editor, https://www.movavi.com/mac-video-editor/. It's pretty straightforward and has some cool features that might help you jazz up your content. I used it for some of my own stuff, and it's pretty handy.
Why not just upload video file to some platform like Thumbsnap? He can get direct video link from there and use it with video tag if he wants to make it play when player joins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
mm HL1 only shows plain text, not HTML, is there a way to update the MOTD for HTML, just like CS 1.6?
No, there isn't any form to change MOTD to make it HTML. It stills same since WON / CD Release. Never touched.

IC3k1ng
Old 03-31-2024 , 10:14   Re: Youtube video in MOTD
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibre View Post
html5 made things easier
Well yes, but you can also count CSS for styling. It's easy to understand it and helps you to make it look different than an old 90s website. For example, this one: https://cscontrol.ru/load/server/plu...th-knight.html

You can also style your MOTD inside HTML file using style tag without linking a CSS stylesheet. Example: https://cdn01.counterstrike.com.pk/g...tent/motd.html