12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

lyric
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2013 , 08:55   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm00 View Post
He meant that players have probably blacklisted your servers, therefore provoking the aforementioned decrease in impressions.

yes this is exactly what i meant and thank you for your reading comprehension. i honestly dont see how my comment could have been interpreted anyother way. i guess people are more apt to respond emotionally instead of logically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotfits View Post
if the servers are still full 24/7 i doubt im losing players, also quickplay keeps them full. so no change in players.
isnt the recent changes to quickplay made by valve supposed to hinder pinion impressions? if people arent blacklisting you they maybe have html motd's turned off which is another side effect to coming across servers running pinion that annoys players. they will do everything to get rid of it though i dont see pinion as anything bad in of itself
Old 06-12-2013 , 11:45   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
I wish we could add our own analytics code to see how much were getting ass rammed.

I guess we can edit the pinion plugin to open a hidden window in the background and close it once it loads
I've been doing that for a very long time (once Pinion is done a hidden page gets opened for tracking purposes).

The panel always had a big mismatch and yeah with the changes that Pinion keeps making there's a bigger and bigger discrepancy. At this point Pinion records only about 15% of the total views for me.

But remember, Pinion now ONLY pays you for impressions that are watched 100%. And anyone who joins through quickplay can skip the ads as soon as they want. So really you can only force those who come through the server browser to watch your ads, and the few quickplay players who actually want to watch the whole advert/don't know they can skip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
isnt the recent changes to quickplay made by valve supposed to hinder pinion impressions? if people arent blacklisting you they maybe have html motd's turned off which is another side effect to coming across servers running pinion that annoys players. they will do everything to get rid of it though i dont see pinion as anything bad in of itself
It's definitely not blacklisting. Most people just can't be bothered to do it manually, let alone go to some website, download a blacklist and import it. Even if 10000 people did it, that wouldn't even be 1% of the TF2 player base.

Quickplay changes are a part of it yes, but the impressions have been dropping all the time. Even before those changes. All of that has been explained through Pinions email bulletins. Whether you like the explanations or not is another question.

First they used Google to track ad views (those had the highest impressions), then they switched to liverail which dropped them by nearly half (so they stopped paying for what they considered bad impressions). Then they only started to count ads that players watch until they finish. It went from counting every view, to needing at least 5 seconds to what it is now. Then they stopped counting views for all countries and now do only for those in sell-able regions. The most recent change they announced is that there was a bug which lead to impressions being doubled. Because every impression was treated as two.

What's good is that they did pay for all of those impressions before, they honored it. Even with the double count bug. What's bad is that there's been about 500% less countable impressions if I compare today to over a year ago.
But really the biggest problem is that they can no longer pay for partial views.

Last edited by 1nsane; 06-12-2013 at 11:48.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-12-2013 , 19:08   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

I have a day of impressions showing -400 ?? how is that possible?
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 06-12-2013 , 19:12   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
I have a day of impressions showing -400 ?? how is that possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur.PinionGG View Post
The Liverail reporting API is giving us some funky data, we already have contacted them and are working towards a solution. Once they fix their API we will update control panel for everyone and backfill all impressions.
Old 06-13-2013 , 00:02   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Just letting everyone know we added a Pinion plugin thread. We understand both threads are used for different purposes and I'll continue to hover between both.

The control panel overview might be useful for users who don't often visit the My account tab.

Last edited by Arthur.PinionGG; 06-13-2013 at 00:02.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-13-2013 , 16:30   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

why yes I saw the posting but he posted right after that a version update but didn't say if the API was fixed from liverail or not so I just figured I'd post anyway.
Arthur.PinionGG
Old 06-14-2013 , 02:53   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Just letting everyone know all data has now been back-filled, if anyone has any issues shoot a ticket to support.
realdreams
Old 06-16-2013 , 02:44   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Just curious how much people are actually paid by pinion.. of course it depends on the server, can someone give me some idea what to expect?
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-16-2013 , 17:06   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdreams View Post
Just curious how much people are actually paid by pinion.. of course it depends on the server, can someone give me some idea what to expect?
I have many servers and I average around 50-70 a month, I'm around $27 for this month thus far. If I can get $60 I break even and so far its been rare to break even each month but I'm fine with that and this is only forcing 15 second ads - I will not do more.
DeathMaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-18-2013 , 19:09   Re: Pinion Discussion Thread

I was considering using pinion again but I see they force ads on everyone and there is no option to disable that now... :/ Guess ill go back to having a good old motd with rules or something...
Closed Thread