Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] ABM: A MultiSlots / SuperVersus Alternative (Updated: 11-13-17)

Post New Thread Reply   

Xanaguy
Old 02-03-2017 , 02:00   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgBUCKWANGS View Post
Nice find, do you think the event at the gunshop might have had something to do with it? I usually lose the Tank as soon as the meter empties but maybe there are other reasons you can hold onto it longer? Do you ever hold onto it indefinitely? I don't think I'll look into it as to be honest I thought it was a nice bonus but not something I absolutely needed. In fact, I wonder how the game would change if you removed the meter altogether? I'm just glad the Tank is being distributed in my test correctly

Btw, I honestly have no idea what happens in "The Sacrifice" where you come across a train car with a Tank trapped inside. Do you know what happens at this part with the Tank? I haven't tried but I imagine you'll probably get the Tank a lot sooner than those doors open. I'm imagining a smart Tank would wait for the doors to open anyway and the horde to hit to then pop up from some place completely different than expected
No sir. The gunshop event had nothing to do with it as I have had the same issue on another map. And I do believe the same thing happens in The Sacrifice since the game thinks it's Versus despite being on campaign mode, though I have never tried going Infected on The Sacrifice. At least not on the last chapter. That reminds me, there needs to be a fix for ABM regarding The Sacrifice.
MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 02-03-2017 , 10:17   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #102

Just do a map name check in your plugin during round start and set the SI limits dynamically for each map you want. So Tank Playground you can disable all the SI from spawning, or set a limit for each. Whether that will override the vscript(it should) or even work without a map restart first I don't know. I've never dynamically changed SI and tested it...
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 02-03-2017 , 12:39   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanaguy View Post
No sir. The gunshop event had nothing to do with it as I have had the same issue on another map. And I do believe the same thing happens in The Sacrifice since the game thinks it's Versus despite being on campaign mode, though I have never tried going Infected on The Sacrifice. At least not on the last chapter. That reminds me, there needs to be a fix for ABM regarding The Sacrifice.
It's still all very early, I'm sure there's a bunch of issues lying dormant and I'm getting to them as fast as I can. Not sure what the fix you refer to for The Sacrifice is? If it's something that only has to do with one map, chances are I'll warn users to it before trying to fix it If it's a more widespread and general problem that turns out to be pretty common, I'll definitely make it high priority.

What's the problem with The Sacrifice?
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 02-03-2017 , 13:15   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
Just do a map name check in your plugin during round start and set the SI limits dynamically for each map you want. So Tank Playground you can disable all the SI from spawning, or set a limit for each. Whether that will override the vscript(it should) or even work without a map restart first I don't know. I've never dynamically changed SI and tested it...
I was afraid of such a solution and would do almost anything to avoid it. It would I'd imagine become a maintenance nightmare and something I don't want to maintain at all. I have no need to actually work on this but I entertain myself with the thought of it. Sometimes I go to bed with a problem and wake up with the answer or maybe I'm slicing chicken on the cutting board and I'll utter "I got it". I know for a fact you know what I mean.

From my understanding, my plugin can never override a vscript. If a campaigns vscript says I can't spawn Boomers, I will really not be able to spawn them (not normally). If the vscript says no mobs, no mobs. Using the Director Variables plugin I was able to get around these limitations but without it, I can't do much to override anything a vscript says I can't do.

Now, if I wish to avoid anything specific and if I had no choice (there is no other solution) I'd most likely approach the problem like this. I'd set up a "watcher", a sort of spy function whom's sole purpose would be to watch what SI come out of the enemy camp and advise me to only spawn those. This way, I can send in the infiltrators with little chance of being detected. So if only Boomers are spawning, I'll send in Boomers until the watcher tells me, "I see a Smoker", then I'll send in Boomers and Smokers.

I still see a problem with this approach and is why I thought I ask. The problem I foresee here is, what if all the Boomers go out for a lunch break and aren't supposed to spawn anymore. I'm caught. I don't really have the answer but an idea I thought would be worth a conversation. In a very general sense I suppose what I am truly after is understanding a campaigns limitations. How do I get around or understand a vscript without any manual intervention? I'm thinking it's impossible but I'm also hoping I'm wrong.
MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 02-03-2017 , 14:57   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #105

Quote:
I was afraid of such a solution and would do almost anything to avoid it. It would I'd imagine become a maintenance nightmare and something I don't want to maintain at all. I have no need to actually work on this but I entertain myself with the thought of it. Sometimes I go to bed with a problem and wake up with the answer or maybe I'm slicing chicken on the cutting board and I'll utter "I got it". I know for a fact you know what I mean.

From my understanding, my plugin can never override a vscript. If a campaigns vscript says I can't spawn Boomers, I will really not be able to spawn them (not normally). If the vscript says no mobs, no mobs. Using the Director Variables plugin I was able to get around these limitations but without it, I can't do much to override anything a vscript says I can't do.

Now, if I wish to avoid anything specific and if I had no choice (there is no other solution) I'd most likely approach the problem like this. I'd set up a "watcher", a sort of spy function whom's sole purpose would be to watch what SI come out of the enemy camp and advise me to only spawn those. This way, I can send in the infiltrators with little chance of being detected. So if only Boomers are spawning, I'll send in Boomers until the watcher tells me, "I see a Smoker", then I'll send in Boomers and Smokers.

I still see a problem with this approach and is why I thought I ask. The problem I foresee here is, what if all the Boomers go out for a lunch break and aren't supposed to spawn anymore. I'm caught. I don't really have the answer but an idea I thought would be worth a conversation. In a very general sense I suppose what I am truly after is understanding a campaigns limitations. How do I get around or understand a vscript without any manual intervention? I'm thinking it's impossible but I'm also hoping I'm wrong.
Hmm i'm not sure but i believe a vscript can be overridden. The reason why I say this is because a vscript is called, the settings are changed and then the map continues with the new settings so with that being said you should be able to change the settings after the vscript is called, i have minimal experience testing this myself but, maybe take a look at the plugin left4dead, i believe is the name. It dynamically changes the zombie counts and I believe SI based on player count, so if a player leaves you will either have less or more depending. But i'm not 100% sure i'm pointing you to the right plugin or not because its been so long since i've used it, but there may be something useful there...but i'm pretty sure theres a way of doing what you want through coding, with minimal maintenance involved...
Xanaguy
Old 02-03-2017 , 14:58   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #106

Quote:
It's still all very early, I'm sure there's a bunch of issues lying dormant and I'm getting to them as fast as I can. Not sure what the fix you refer to for The Sacrifice is? If it's something that only has to do with one map, chances are I'll warn users to it before trying to fix it If it's a more widespread and general problem that turns out to be pretty common, I'll definitely make it high priority.

What's the problem with The Sacrifice?
When I swap to any other team in The Port (Last Chapter) at any point I will get a "Survivor's Failed" message and I am forced to start over. I commonly see it alone and I have no doubt it applies in other circumstances too
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 02-03-2017 , 15:38   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
Hmm i'm not sure but i believe a vscript can be overridden. The reason why I say this is because a vscript is called, the settings are changed and then the map continues with the new settings so with that being said you should be able to change the settings after the vscript is called, i have minimal experience testing this myself but, maybe take a look at the plugin left4dead, i believe is the name. It dynamically changes the zombie counts and I believe SI based on player count, so if a player leaves you will either have less or more depending. But i'm not 100% sure i'm pointing you to the right plugin or not because its been so long since i've used it, but there may be something useful there...but i'm pretty sure theres a way of doing what you want through coding, with minimal maintenance involved...
So far, the Director Variables plugin may be the way out for me but I'm afraid to depend on it atm. It does almost exactly what I'm looking for but may no longer be supported and that's what scares me the most. If I end up depending on it and an update comes along that breaks it badly, I will be responsible for it.

I'll try to find the plugin you mentioned and see if I can maybe learn something. Thanks
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 02-03-2017 , 15:49   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanaguy View Post
When I swap to any other team in The Port (Last Chapter) at any point I will get a "Survivor's Failed" message and I am forced to start over. I commonly see it alone and I have no doubt it applies in other circumstances too
I think this is normal and The Sacrifice finale was the first map I tried with a few friends when I tested the distribution of the Tanks. I knew this map spawned more than one at a time and this was the map of choice to try it out on. I think the reason why you need two guys and one has to be human is probably because the bots won't do anything on their own and there's a lot of things that need to be done? I'm not sure but I don't believe bots will pour gas into the generators on their own, hit the button to raise the bridge, or know which bot to send for the last generator?

This is not something I think I'll fix. One plugin that comes to mind and is worth a try is the No Death Check Until Dead plugin and maybe that'll keep the game going? I doubt it'll keep the game going but it's worth a try?

Also, If you just want to murder innocent survivors on the Port, you can do it in survival?
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2017 , 17:57   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #109

Actually, there is a way to bypass that message and that's to create two fake clients and teleport them somewhere out of map and in case all survivors die, kill the fake clients too. Also, you can force bots to go to the generator by using CommandABot.

Edit: It's actually funny sometimes when using that as bots look like stupid again like walking even though there's something that blocks their paths.

Last edited by cravenge; 02-03-2017 at 18:02.
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 02-04-2017 , 02:26   Re: [L4D2] ABM: A L4D2 5+ Player Enhancement for Campaign
Reply With Quote #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
Actually, there is a way to bypass that message and that's to create two fake clients and teleport them somewhere out of map and in case all survivors die, kill the fake clients too. Also, you can force bots to go to the generator by using CommandABot.

Edit: It's actually funny sometimes when using that as bots look like stupid again like walking even though there's something that blocks their paths.
I got the message with 4 survivors alive and sb_all_bot_game set to 1 the moment I switched to infected. I don't like the idea of adding code for one specific map to one specific campaign. Does this message pop up anywhere else? I can't recall from the hundreds of campaigns I played seeing this more than once?