Raised This Month: $198 Target: $400
 49% 

Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval


Post New Thread Closed Thread   
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Old 09-11-2015 , 01:49   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
When name change tracking functionality is added.
I'm entirely in a hellbent state to change my name that this site could pump a fucking mortgage payment out of me to make it happen, I swear.
__________________
Taking private requests: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drixevel/
Drixevel is offline
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Join Date: Feb 2013
Old 09-11-2015 , 04:58   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#52

Wouldn't it just take a competent VCoder to add something like this: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236980

Or am I missing some bigger element and/or version history that doesn't allow this. It does what we want.
Maxximou5 is offline
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OnGameFrame()
Old 09-11-2015 , 05:14   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
Or am I missing some bigger element and/or version history that doesn't allow this. It does what we want.
Wrong vB version, and still requires an audit for security and compatibility with AM's custom vB modifications.
__________________
asherkin is offline
404UserNotFound
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 🍁
Old 09-12-2015 , 12:03   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Wrong vB version, and still requires an audit for security and compatibility with AM's custom vB modifications.
Would it not be possible for whoever has access to this site's PHPMyAdmin to like, go into the user records, find my username and edit it in the database to "404UserNotFound"?

Actually, based on that idea, would it not be possible to do some kind of webform where you have to log into your AlliedMods account (I'll explain why in a second), then you choose a payment option and pay....let's say $10, and choose a new name. When payment is received by the system, it logs it under the donation banner on the forums and then sends an SQL command telling the database to find the old username and change it to the new username.

Logging into your account first is because if we just had an open form that said like..."enter your current username", "enter your new name choice", "payment", then people could go around renaming everyone to stupid shit.

Regardless, that method should result in a forum-wide username change. Then just have our profiles display name changes as well (for admins). This could help attain more donations for server costs.

Or I could be talking out of my ass and be completely wrong in my assumptions (though I specifically have renamed a PHPBB forum account username in PHPMyAdmin back when I was hosting the TF2Classic forums and it did indeed change the username site-wide, so I'd have to say I'm not wrong)
__________________
I'm not a SourcePawn expert, I just play one on TV.
Want to join the new SourceMod Discord? Click here!

404UserNotFound is offline
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canada
Old 09-12-2015 , 12:04   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#55

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
Would it not be possible for whoever has access to this site's PHPMyAdmin to like, go into the user records, find my username and edit it in the database to "404UserNotFound"?

Actually, based on that idea, would it not be possible to do some kind of webform where you have to log into your AlliedMods account (I'll explain why in a second), then you choose a payment option and pay....let's say $10, and choose a new name. When payment is received by the system, it logs it under the donation banner on the forums and then sends an SQL command telling the database to find the old username and change it to the new username.

Logging into your account first is because if we just had an open form that said like..."enter your current username", "enter your new name choice", "payment", then people could go around renaming everyone to stupid shit.

Regardless, that method should result in a forum-wide username change. Then just have our profiles display name changes as well (for admins). This could help attain more donations for server costs.

Or I could be talking out of my ass and be completely wrong in my assumptions (though I specifically have renamed a PHPBB forum account username in PHPMyAdmin back when I was hosting the TF2Classic forums and it did indeed change the username site-wide, so I'd have to say I'm not wrong)
Again, the forums need a way to track user name changes to prevent anyone abusing them to get away with stuff
__________________
WildCard65 is offline
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Old 09-12-2015 , 12:29   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#56

You CAN change your name even to this day. They only will do it if "something doesn't work right", as stated on the rules. Now I don't know what classifies as "doesn't work" but it's there.
Potato Uno is offline
404UserNotFound
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 🍁
Old 09-12-2015 , 12:53   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard65 View Post
Again, the forums need a way to track user name changes to prevent anyone abusing them to get away with stuff
Quote:
Then just have our profiles display name changes as well (for admins)
Learn to read. And a quick Google search can yield results on this. It's incredibly possible to show name changes on a forum profile page. Just need to log all name changes in a SQL table that way they can be retrieved from the database and displayed on a page.

Especially simple if you create your own name change form like I suggested in my post above. That way you have full control over how the form works and how it logs the information (old username, new username) and that then allows you to use that information for name change logs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
You CAN change your name even to this day. They only will do it if "something doesn't work right", as stated on the rules. Now I don't know what classifies as "doesn't work" but it's there.
I think that has to do with like, forum-based issues. Like if you can't access your profile and the page gives you an error page no matter what, and the admins figure out that it's something to do with your username, then they'll change it to something else.

And again, your username can always be modified in the SQL tables for the forums and given a quick forum cache purge, the name change will show forum-wide.
__________________
I'm not a SourcePawn expert, I just play one on TV.
Want to join the new SourceMod Discord? Click here!


Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 09-12-2015 at 12:58.
404UserNotFound is offline
psychonic

BAFFLED
Join Date: May 2008
Old 09-12-2015 , 13:22   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval
#58

Locking as this is going way offtopic. If you have further feedback regarding the changes noted in the news post, please make a thread in the SM General forum.
psychonic is offline
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:33.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Theme made by Freecode