Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

is sourcemod same guys from amx?

Post New Thread Reply   

sniper_strike
Old 05-08-2005 , 00:16   is sourcemod same guys from amx?
Reply With Quote #1

ok like i know you guys posted an amx source interview a long time ago and i was wondering if you are the guys like source mod is replacing amx mod? Or is that different people and there working on there own stuff too?

66.150.188.42:27015
manorastroman
Old 05-08-2005 , 01:07  
Reply With Quote #2

And i know that you've been here for a while, but i'll answer anyways.

SourceMod will not replace AMXx, mainly for the reason that they don't even go on the same engine. SourceMod is in no way related to AMXx except for the startling conincidence that it has almost the exact same Developers. The owners of AMXx will be still tending to AMXx, but just releasing minor updates, nothing major, most of the efforts are now focused on SourceMod.
Old 07-28-2005 , 20:26  
Reply With Quote #3

Is sourceMod anything like AMXx to code plugins for? for example how easy will it be port an amxmodx script to sourceMod?

thanks,

Mikey_trw
Send a message via MSN to mikey_trw
Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-28-2005 , 16:53  
Reply With Quote #4

My thoughts...

AMX was a great addon for Metamod that exposed the engines eventing system to a scripting language that had it's own small compiler and was simple yet powerfull for what you could do with it.

There is nothing like that for HL2 (that i've found) I really don't know what sourcemod is for. I keep seeing that it's a "replacement" for AMX (of hl1) for hl2, but if you're going to code in C++ to create a sourcemod plugin, why not just create a straight HL2 Server Plugin in C++ and skip sourcemod all together?

What is really needed is a plugin that does exactly what AMX and AdminMod did, expose the eventing system and objects to a low level scripting engine.

Now, matties addin sort of does this, but it isn't as sophisticated as AMX was.

Am I making sense? Please comment on my post and correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. Thoughts?
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 10-28-2005 , 17:12  
Reply With Quote #5

That is the basic idea of SourceMod, but for certain functions of SourceMod to work right in certain ways it needs a "2nd" party so to speak (SourceMM). SourceMod supports more than just the Small Scripting language, it supports javascript and I think another one too. All of them simple, yet if used properly powerful. The SourceMod Source is open and there is a CVS floating around somewhere if you want to look at it's code.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-28-2005 , 17:46  
Reply With Quote #6

Thanks for the reply flying.

This is where I get confused though. When I go to the SouceMM plugins forum everything is written in C++, not a scripting language.

Can you point me to something that shows the implimentation of SourceMod or SourceMM that uses scripting?
BAILOPAN
Old 10-28-2005 , 18:08  
Reply With Quote #7

Because SourceMod is really just a set of API. The concept of C++ (native code) being equal to scripting languages is extremely powerful; you see this concept in COM in Windows. You gain extreme flexibility at the sacrifice of a very complex framework.

Essentially, SourceMod is just a wrapper around MetaEng and a Metamod. It's a way for a C++ API to talk to plugins written in any language that conforms to another API. You'd use C++ to either write APIs that plugins can generically use, or to simply write something that can't be expressed in a normal scripting language.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-28-2005 , 20:47  
Reply With Quote #8

Again thank you for the reply.

So what is the API C++ engine that has events exposed to scripting langauge? (Ala AMX)
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 10-29-2005 , 01:45  
Reply With Quote #9

The answer to your question is SourceMod

Metamod: Source (SourceMM) exposes some events in the Source engine that you normally wouldn't have access to without (as well as some modifications and what not, you can look into it's source code. It uses C++.

SourceMod is a SourceMM Plugin
Fakeclients is a SourceMM Plugin
VIPMod (when it comes out) is a SourceMM Plugin

SourceMM is a plugin to the Source Engine

Beetlesmod is an administration plugin to the Source Engine.

There's a bit more breakdown to it than this, but it's as simple as I can put it.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
cybermind
Old 10-29-2005 , 01:47  
Reply With Quote #10

Blast, barely beaten by flyingmongoose. I've edited my image to name some plugins he mentions in his post.

This is the general framework for MetaMod:Source and SourceMod.

You may see MetaMod:Source also called SourceMM, as as flyingmongoose did. This is not to be confused with SourceMod.

At this time, JavaScript, AMX, and C++ plugins will be supported for SourceMod.