Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

"SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed

Post New Thread Reply   

Arkarr
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2015 , 05:30   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #61

I actually use a simple FTP server to send my updates tu users.
You might want to host in my server ? Free of charges of course !
Old 03-10-2015 , 12:18   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_ninja
I'm not particularly fond of being forced to install beta 4 via installer. It gave no option for custom install path nor did it display its hardcoded install path so I have no clue where it put the thing. The only .zip releases are the for the source code.

EDIT: Okay, it does show the path when its extracting but the extraction time is less than a second. Too fast to read. I could only make out that its somewhere on partition C. Still don't know where it installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact123
To add to what urban_ninja said. I don't want to use an installer myself if i can avoid it, please provide a portable version.
Mhh year I'll release the next time the standalone zip file again with the installer so you can choose. But the standalon will not register the file associations.
The Program is located in '%appdata%\spedit' and will ever be. This is, to prevent the UAC from interfere with spedit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILANDO
For example program crash, if i press F5, compiler say error in code and if i press f5 again, program closed.
I found and fixed the error.
Because of this (admittedly horrible) error, I'll release a 5th beta rollout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarr
I actually use a simple FTP server to send my updates tu users.
You might want to host in my server ? Free of charges of course !
Thank you but I got many many offers for that and I already decided on one. But thanks anyway ^^
BAILANDO
Old 03-10-2015 , 14:55   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #63

Good job And one idea, dont know if you made this already in v5.0, but will be great, if you can add code highlighter for pair bracked(start from - end where), for better orientation and make autoTAB if you write for example:
public OnMapStart(){
//This automatically TAB
}//end this bracket automatically move on this position, like in Visual Studio
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-10-2015 , 16:36   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #64

To use GitHub's releases system, you need to add a Git tag. Once a tag exists, you can go to releases on the GitHub website and choose to modify a release, which gives you the option to upload files for it.

Last edited by Powerlord; 03-10-2015 at 16:46.
urban_ninja
Old 03-10-2015 , 19:40   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AeonOne_ View Post
Mhh year I'll release the next time the standalone zip file again with the installer so you can choose. But the standalon will not register the file associations.
The Program is located in '%appdata%\spedit' and will ever be. This is, to prevent the UAC from interfere with spedit.
I wouldn't have a problem with an installer release if it allowed custom install location which is kind of standard for any installer to have. People shouldn't be forced to install where you want them to. For me I have no UAC that would get in the way and its a minor annoyance to have to dig somewhat deep in the directories to start it.
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2015 , 19:47   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_ninja View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with an installer release if it allowed custom install location which is kind of standard for any installer to have. People shouldn't be forced to install where you want them to. For me I have no UAC that would get in the way and its a minor annoyance to have to dig somewhat deep in the directories to start it.
Not to get too off-topic but isn't the only way to 100% avoid UAC not to allow an installation path that could have UAC permission issues-which is why both AeonOne's installer and Squirrel.Windows doesn't allow changing the path? But yes, portable zips are a must .

Also, AeonOne: You mentioned %appdata%. Why not %localappdata%?

Last edited by Wliu; 03-10-2015 at 19:50.
_AeonOne_
Old 03-10-2015 , 21:42   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
To use GitHub's releases system, you need to add a Git tag. Once a tag exists, you can go to releases on the GitHub website and choose to modify a release, which gives you the option to upload files for it.
I know, i still using this - but this doesn't enable the ability to write an auto updater? ;)
(At least not with many workarounds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILANDO
Good job And one idea, dont know if you made this already in v5.0, but will be great, if you can add code highlighter for pair bracked(start from - end where), for better orientation and make autoTAB if you write for example:
public OnMapStart(){
//This automatically TAB
}//end this bracket automatically move on this position, like in Visual Studio
These tasks are not as trivial as you might think. They are longer in planing but it's unlikely to be in the first RTM release. sry :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_ninja
Okay so, let me explain this decision from me in detail.
The reason is obviously the UAC. Even if YOU have disabled it, many other people don't including me, and i wont set the requirement for the installation to: "You have to disable the UAC for the editor to work". You might ask what does the UAC to prevent spedit from work. The installation will work seamlessy with UAC and even the editor will run with no problems - as long as you don't do other things than open it.
UAC blocks writing to protected directorys if the executing program does not have administrator rights. But the editor MUST write files. At least the options file will be renewed on every execution of the editor.
A workaround for that would be to locate the options files, config files, etc. in another directory, but i wanted all files to be in one directory. But this was not the only reason to not seperate them. If custom installation where allowed, the editor would have to save these location anywhere (likely the registry) to know where it is. That becomes especially problematic with file associations when you change this directory out of nowhere.
The (planned) Auto-Updater would also have difficultys with this situation.
Another reason: the spedit is relativly sensitive to file changes from outside of itself. At example:
A user decides to look in the deep files of spedit (lets say the config) and opens the config.xml. He looks a bit in there and decides to change something, lets say to make a new config with the Name "A&B" - what the user didn't know: xml must escape the ampersand and spedit will likely crash itself on every startup now or stops itself because it cannot start without a config. When a user want to change something in the install directory: every possibility is safely given in the editor but manually changing is somewhat of dangerous here.
And to the install-standart thing:
let the user decide where he wants to install, is becoming more and more unpopular. See programs like minecraft or Telegram. Both are fully installed in AppData
I know that there is sometimes a cry for own customization, but for these people, I will also release the zip file like you suggested. So everything for everyone.
I will also add a "Add Shortcut to Desktop" option in the installer for people who are curious where the install directory is. And when i think of it, i will also write this in a faq section in the release thread.
Everything fine now? ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wliu
Also, AeonOne: You mentioned %appdata%. Why not %localappdata%?
This was a 'flip-a-coin' decision. There is nothing against localappdata to use. When you have reasons for this directory i will change it ^^
urban_ninja
Old 03-10-2015 , 22:18   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #68

Thanks for clearing that up. However its possible for an auto updater to locate the installation without writing to registry. Possibly have the updater installed to the same folder as the SPedit.exe and only make use of its folder and child folders. If not that then an .ini file would do the trick. Some game updater clients work that way.

Last edited by urban_ninja; 03-10-2015 at 22:23.
Impact123
Veteran Member
Old 03-11-2015 , 01:19   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AeonOne_ View Post
but this doesn't enable the ability to write an auto updater? ;)
(At least not with many workarounds)
How about you call this url from your updater and parse the json for the newest release-xxx tag?

Last edited by Impact123; 03-11-2015 at 01:23.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-11-2015 , 01:56   Re: "SPEdit" - A Sourcepawn Editor - Betatester needed
Reply With Quote #70

Just an FYI, but did you know you can locate special paths using Environment.GetFolderPath in .NET? It takes an Environment.SpecialFolder value (such as Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData)