Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. Jekyll
Old 09-25-2015 , 01:58   How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?
Reply With Quote #1

Is this the right place to ask this kind of question? I'm still not really sure where I should post about this.

I've been messing around with Custom Weapons 2 over the past week (which is an awesome plugin). It mentions the ability to add custom skins to your weapon, which I really want to do. Someone mentioned that Valve purposefully broke the ability to do this because people were giving themselves fancy hats.

Is this true? Is it impossible to give weapons their own custom skin?

Also, how do you give a weapon custom sounds?

And lastly, is it possible to do this in such a way that when a player on your server equips a custom weapon, they also get the skins and sounds?
bally
Old 09-25-2015 , 13:30   Re: How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?
Reply With Quote #2

yes... it is possible however, it's against Valve's policies, and can make your server blacklisted.

Custom sounds on weapons isn't.

Last edited by bally; 09-25-2015 at 13:33.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2015 , 18:36   Re: How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally View Post
yes... it is possible however, it's against Valve's policies, and can make your server blacklisted.

Custom sounds on weapons isn't.
The blacklisting thing doesn't apply to TF2. You can install unusual hat givers and nothing will happen to your server (so long as it's kept out of quickplay and other forms of matchmaking).

@OP: Yes, Valve broke attachables on purpose because of that. There is a workaround for it (you're on your own to figure it out and write a plugin to work around attachables). You can also try Xykon's shit, which is meant to allow custom visible models to be used, although I have had no success in using that.

Even if we assume you worked around attachables, you would need all the clients to download the models for the custom weapon models to show up on their side. I have no idea if that's possible or not, but if it is, then yes, you can make your own skin and use it in-game.

I have no idea about the sounds thing. (what do you mean by 'sounds' anyway?)

Last edited by Potato Uno; 09-25-2015 at 18:41.
Dr. Jekyll
Old 09-25-2015 , 23:00   Re: How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
The blacklisting thing doesn't apply to TF2. You can install unusual hat givers and nothing will happen to your server (so long as it's kept out of quickplay and other forms of matchmaking).

@OP: Yes, Valve broke attachables on purpose because of that. There is a workaround for it (you're on your own to figure it out and write a plugin to work around attachables). You can also try Xykon's shit, which is meant to allow custom visible models to be used, although I have had no success in using that.

Even if we assume you worked around attachables, you would need all the clients to download the models for the custom weapon models to show up on their side. I have no idea if that's possible or not, but if it is, then yes, you can make your own skin and use it in-game.

I have no idea about the sounds thing. (what do you mean by 'sounds' anyway?)
Yeah I tried Xykon's plugin. It made my server lag like hell, and custom weapons 2 stopped working. I'm not sure if that was caused by the plugin or something else.

By custom sounds I mean I want to change the sound a weapon makes when it's fired, reloaded, revved up, etc.

Why doesn't Valve just fix wearables so that you can equip custom ones, but not the ones that are already in the game? And also make it so that servers with custom wearables aren't listed in matchmaking?

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 09-25-2015 at 23:03.
Akuba
Old 09-26-2015 , 08:21   Re: How do i give custom weapons their own skins and sounds?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Why doesn't Valve just fix wearables so that you can equip custom ones, but not the ones that are already in the game?
People would "edit" and upload the original models to their servers so they can equip them. Its not very hard.