Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

FF2 [warning] content stealers!!

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

FurretX
Old 10-12-2021 , 08:19   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian_ View Post
When you're uploading your boss to your server and making it fully downloadable (except configs, subplugins and their source codes) - you're making agreement, that it will become public, because these files will be downloaded to clients.

You can stay your plugins and configs at your server and it'll be private, but someone can recreate them.

If someone taking your files to make the same boss, that's means, that they're love it, is this bad?

No, you misunderstood me, you can't take something from me, because I did not allow. The thought is you're allowing to download bosses files (models, materials, sounds) by yourself. That's your decision
By your logic, you’re literally saying that if I downloaded a document from online that I can steal it from them and use it as my own because “They made it publicly downloadable online.” No, that is literally plagiarism.
The same goes with bosses that are supposed to be private but you downloaded from a server.
Owner of FXFF2

“Nothing will ever work first try.”

Feel free to message me, I’ll respond within a few days.
Maximilian_
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2021 , 08:52   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurretX View Post
By your logic, you’re literally saying that if I downloaded a document from online that I can steal it from them and use it as my own because “They made it publicly downloadable online.” No, that is literally plagiarism.
The same goes with bosses that are supposed to be private but you downloaded from a server.
make a patent on you boss then and you'll be defended from plagiarism

Last edited by Maximilian_; 10-12-2021 at 08:58.
Kolaxie
Old 10-12-2021 , 09:49   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
When you're uploading your boss to your server and making it fully downloadable (except configs, subplugins and their source codes) - you're making agreement, that it will become public, because these files will be downloaded to clients.

You can stay your plugins and configs at your server and it'll be private, but someone can recreate them.

If someone taking your files to make the same boss, that's means, that they're love it, is this bad?
Yes it's bad, because in the current drama, they are not made because the person like it but because the person want to tag it as his creation, which isn't love. (And also pretending the copy was authorized) And if the person really liked it, he would just log into the server and play with it.

Also, stealing this kind of contents can destroy a servers, because i'm pretty sure that a lot of people logs to certain servers because they like what THEY have. If we had a possibility to make these files impossible to get, trust me, you wouldn't be able to touch a single boss from most servers.

And about the plugins and configs, yes indeed, you can keep them private but someone can re-create these, but as i said, stealing these can be dangerous for a server or someone reputation, in the current case, someone made the exact same boss but just changing the model to pretend it's his own creation. Which isn't. The person didn't even took time to change the abilities name, which make it kinda obvious that the person wanted to steal the boss.

Quote:
No, you misunderstood me, you can't take something from me, because I did not allow. The thought is you're allowing to download bosses files (models, materials, sounds) by yourself. That's your decision
No i'm correct because under law, if you have taken something out of possession of the owner dishonestly or you can say without his permission, then it is said ‘theft’. Having private bosses is allowing everyone to see it and use it in a certain limit. (Which is the server he is in) Owner of these bosses didn't allow permission to re-upload or re-create these files.

Quote:
make a patent on you boss then and you'll be defended from plagiarism
Can you even imagine how long it would take? And how expensive it is? This is just crazy.

Last edited by Kolaxie; 10-12-2021 at 09:54.
Maximilian_
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2021 , 10:12   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolaxie View Post
Yes it's bad, because in the current drama, they are not made because the person like it but because the person want to tag it as his creation, which isn't love. (And also pretending the copy was authorized) And if the person really liked it, he would just log into the server and play with it.

Also, stealing this kind of contents can destroy a servers, because i'm pretty sure that a lot of people logs to certain servers because they like what THEY have. If we had a possibility to make these files impossible to get, trust me, you wouldn't be able to touch a single boss from most servers.

And about the plugins and configs, yes indeed, you can keep them private but someone can re-create these, but as i said, stealing these can be dangerous for a server or someone reputation, in the current case, someone made the exact same boss but just changing the model to pretend it's his own creation. Which isn't. The person didn't even took time to change the abilities name, which make it kinda obvious that the person wanted to steal the boss.

No i'm correct because under law, if you have taken something out of possession of the owner dishonestly or you can say without his permission, then it is said ‘theft’. Having private bosses is allowing everyone to see it and use it in a certain limit. (Which is the server he is in) Owner of these bosses didn't allow permission to re-upload or re-create these files.

Can you even imagine how long it would take? And how expensive it is? This is just crazy.
What you can suggest to prevent stealing then?
Kolaxie
Old 10-12-2021 , 11:32   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
What you can suggest to prevent stealing then?
Well not much, but since most freak fortress 2 players doesn't make bosses, it's usually not an issue but in the rare case when this happen, exposing people works, they probably won't dissapear from the server, but it can prevent some other thief to happen and call out people stealing them.
UberMedicFully
Old 10-12-2021 , 16:00   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZV View Post
Just a noob question: How did they steal the boss? Did you give them the CFG, or they just downloaded the Models/Materials/Sounds and re-made the CFG? Or something else?
They took the Hale files from the download folder (Materials, Sounds and Models) and stole the Hales Ability names aswell, Hale concept etc etc.
Didnt even bother asking the Creators
I love to make Freaks that are related to TF2
UberMedicFully
Old 10-12-2021 , 16:12   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZV View Post
Just a noob question: How did they steal the boss? Did you give them the CFG, or they just downloaded the Models/Materials/Sounds and re-made the CFG? Or something else?
Quote:

No one gives you Permissions to recreate a Private Hale neither take their files without the Agreement of the Creators behind the Hale. Since the Creators actually invested Time making such Hales its just disgusting to take their Files and claim it that its your own Hale as they did with Onimusha.
Again you are not allowed to just take Private Hales files, just because you downloaded them doesnt mean you are allowed to take anything without them agreeing, obviously they will say no because such Hales have been made for specific Communitys, Disc -FF- aka Fire Friendly and Nec Gaming as an Example

People like him disgust me honestly, many other Content Creators might see the same

Also, people have to download the Hales files to have no issues running lol... Bad excuse to use
"Oh look i downloaded Private Hale files, im allowed to take them because theyre in the 'Public'."
They never got Published and never will get Published, as you can see none of these Hale files exist in AlliedModders or somewhere else since the Creators kept them PRIVATE. jesus

And by that you cant just steal Hale concepts aswell maybe just ask? ..
I love to make Freaks that are related to TF2

Last edited by UberMedicFully; 10-12-2021 at 16:14. Reason: miss spell; Forgot to add more information
A_T_R
Old 10-13-2021 , 12:54   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

feels bad
Scag
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-14-2021 , 00:56   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Dropping my 2 cents. The main thing about custom servers (VSH, FF2) is that the "custom" part of the server is almost completely publicly available through downloads (materials, models, sounds, etc). That is simply the risk that you take by running publicly available servers.

For example and slight digression, I sometimes hear CS:GO server owners complaining about other servers "stealing" their plugins. And by "stealing" they mean people going onto their server, typing sm plugins into their console, and googling the plugins that pop up then adding them to their own servers. It isn't "stealing" as everything is already publicly available in most all cases(usually). These server owners being "stolen" from think that if they block the sm plugins command from their servers, then they won't have that issue. This is the wrong response since you are erasing the work that plugin and content creators put into releasing free and open source software.

Back to my main point: what you as a server owner are doing is hosting publicly available files. You can do quite literally nothing about that without erasing the content of hard-working individuals. Yes, these content stealers are scummy. They are also uncreative assholes. However, they aren't breaking any laws or any rules. They are just taking what is publicly available and using it for themselves. They don't need permission from anyone.

Config files aren't public. They can't steal that. But they can google. I bet 90% of server owners here use config files and abilities that are publicly available on this forum. There is nothing you can do about that.

The main takeaway from my rant is that there is very little you can do about content stealers when you take the risk of publicly hosting files on a server. The only thing that you can really do is keep people aware of who is the real owner of the server content and to educate them on who the content stealers are. And even then you'll find yourself in drama which isn't much of an improvement.

The true solution is to be unique, to make your server uncopyable. Now for some they most likely can't do that as that would take time, money, and then some. That's the only actual solution I can think of.

GitHub
BTC
ETH

Retired

Last edited by Scag; 10-14-2021 at 00:59.
Maximilian_
Veteran Member
Old 10-14-2021 , 02:17   Re: [warning] content stealers!!

Just say to each other: "I'm sorry" and close this thread =)
Closed Thread