12% 

Cleaning kit

Post New Thread Reply   

scout121
Old 10-22-2004 , 16:43  
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by malex
AK, M16, new guns? You have an interesting concept of time, my friend. The AK-47 was first put in service in 1949. The M16 went into service in 1964. The M4 is the baby of the bunch, only being a decade old, but it's basically a chopped M16.
\malex\
New, ok i should have used the word modern(i think most people understood that). They are the most widely used modern gun to date. A cleaning kit would not be required for a few hours to one day of gun fire. CTs would not carry stuff they dont need.
imported_malex
Old 10-22-2004 , 16:59  
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout121
Quote:
Originally Posted by malex
AK, M16, new guns? You have an interesting concept of time, my friend. The AK-47 was first put in service in 1949. The M16 went into service in 1964. The M4 is the baby of the bunch, only being a decade old, but it's basically a chopped M16.
\malex\
New, ok i should have used the word modern(i think most people understood that). They are the most widely used modern gun to date. A cleaning kit would not be required for a few hours to one day of gun fire. CTs would not carry stuff they dont need.
Up above, someone with more experience than both of us combined mentioned the M4 requires cleaning after 3-4 magazines. In CS, it's not unusual to go through that in a single round. Granted, in real life you might not clean your rifle every 10 minutes, but you also don't fire nearly as many rounds as in CS.

\malex\
K2
Old 10-22-2004 , 17:36  
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout121
A cleaning kit would not be required for a few hours to one day of gun fire. CTs would not carry stuff they dont need.
A few hours? HEH... I can go thru 3-4 mags in a matter of minutes. I HAVE gone thru 3-4 mags in a few minutes. We clean our weapons after every single mission we go on, regardless of whether that weapon was fired or not. You cant take the risk of mis-firing, period. I cannot imagine any rifle or carbine being able to fire, maintenence-free, for hours or even a full day without having problems. All that carbon produced would just be too much friction in the barrel and firing chamber.

Given that - the army is supposed to debut a new carbine next year, the (X)M8. Units like my own should get first dibs on 'em. The way they are designed, 90% of the carbon produced when firing is expelled from the carbine, greatly reducing the amount of time having and needing to clean it. Something like that you could get away with firing for days on end between cleanings. You can interchange the barrel on it too, can go from a standard configuation, to a shorter barrel for close-quarters combat, to a longer barrel for limited sniper acquisition type targets. THAT would be a nice addition to CS: Source...
rompom7
Old 10-22-2004 , 19:40  
Reply With Quote #24

When you buy any weapon in Counter-Strike: Source the most mags you have is 4. (eg The M4A1 has one mag in the weapon and usually 3 out.)

So if you need to clean your weapon every 3-4 magazines, what would be the point? You can safely assume that you will not use 4 rounds of magazines in one round. And after the round end that any weapon you were holding is cleaned anyway (just like you can safely presume all your dead team mates will come back to life)

Personally, again, I think this is better left to the realism mod. Most people don't understand that CS is popular because it isn't fantasy, and it isn't realistic. CS is the bridge between fantasy and realism.
scout121
Old 10-22-2004 , 19:58  
Reply With Quote #25

yes the colt does only have a few rounds and "We clean our weapons after every single mission." Well 1 round or 1 life in CS is 1 mission, so they do the cleaning inbetween rounds. OK, but the main point is that CS is a game, where matches are usually set no longer than 3-5 mins. Time should not be spent cleaning ur gun after u have reloaded it. You would never survive a round. And it would just encourage camping. But this is stupid, if some1 wants to make a pluggin for this. A few people may use it. I wont.
This post should be locked.
imported_malex
Old 10-22-2004 , 20:11  
Reply With Quote #26

At no time did anyone say the weapon should be cleaned every round. I envision an ammo counter that gets reset when you die. This would even out the game a little bit between the best and the not so great players, as those who never die would clean their weapons more often than those who die. You wouldn't have to be required to clean it, of course, but this plugin could make it so after 150-200 rounds fired, your weapon would start functioning worse. This counter would be reset either on death or on weapon cleaning. The effects could be graduated, starting with a little less accuracy and ending with complete weapon failure.

Now, some of you seem to think the suggestion was for SourceMod to always enforce this plugin. That's far from the truth. There is no separate plugins forum here yet, and I expect this post moved there once one is established.

\malex\
K2
Old 10-22-2004 , 21:36  
Reply With Quote #27

Lock this thread? Ah... ok if this thread were turning into a flame-fest or whatnot yeah, but it's not that; it's simply a difference of opinion. You have yours, I have mine, others have theirs... deal with it.

So, let's not stray off-topic. Like I said in a past post, I like the idea, but I feel a mod such as this would have to be implemented carefully and thought out to make it fun or viable.

If ya wanna talk realism, might as well make a mod to where breathing and trigger squeeze were a factor too, because IRL both of those play a direct result on how accurate you are ;)
scout121
Old 10-24-2004 , 14:01  
Reply With Quote #28

yea but this thread is for ideas, the idea has been listed and now its just a debate back and forth and may never end. so this is my last post on this thread lol.
imported_malex
Old 10-24-2004 , 21:46  
Reply With Quote #29

An idea is proposed. Its merits are debated. The implementation is debated. The sanity of debaters is debated. The idea is implemented. Everyone is happy. This is the way of things, forever before and forever after.

\malex\