Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Update to support more games

Post New Thread Reply   

Calystos
Old 08-27-2013 , 00:23   Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #1

I know its been asked before, including by myself (way back in Jan 2012, though I never got a reply to my last question), but that was quite some time ago back when TF2/etc were all on Source 2009 so I thought its time to bring up the question again since everything is moving/moved to SteamPipe and Source 2013.

Is it possible to now update SteamTools to support other games such as Left 4 Dead 1/2, Nuclear Dawn, etc?

Specially since SteamTools hasn't been updated in such a long time now.

Or does anyone know how to mod the source code in order to recompile it ourselves in order to make it work with other games?

As I know that if you try to load the last steamtools.ext.so dated October 2012 in ND/L4D2 it complains about
Quote:
Could not find interface: ServerGameDLL007
If anyone can give me the info on how to change SteamTools source and recompile/build it for Linux (and Windows I guess, heh) servers, I'd gladly work on it to help out and bring it up to work with more games.

Or failing all that, is it possible to create the same functionality or features for those other games? Or maybe even re-write certain plugins to do the job without requiring the SteamTools extension?

As there are lots of plugins that require SteamTools, and lots of people who've been asking for the support for some time now but no updates or anything. So any tips or guides or anything would be great as I'm sure many people would be thankful for a version that works on those games too, I know I certainly would be! :-D

Thanks.
Send a message via ICQ to Calystos Send a message via AIM to Calystos Send a message via MSN to Calystos Send a message via Yahoo to Calystos Send a message via Skype™ to Calystos
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-27-2013 , 14:18   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #2

Source SDK 2013 is just a port of part of TF2's codebase to build new Source games with (you still see #ifdef TF_DLL scattered around it). That doesn't mean Valve's other games were moved to it.

Edit: For that matter, TF2 is now up to ServerGameDLL009.
Edit 2: According to the AlliedMods hl2sdk, L4D2 is using ServerGameDLL005

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-27-2013 at 14:37.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-27-2013 , 16:04   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #3

For the record, attempting to compile it against L4D2 on Windows throws these errors (every other error skipped due to them being caused by the odd numbered errors):

Code:
Error    1    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIActivated' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    74    1    steamtools
Error    3    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIActivated' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    74    1    steamtools
Error    5    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIActivated' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    74    1    steamtools
Error    7    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIShutdown' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    75    1    steamtools
Error    9    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIShutdown' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    75    1    steamtools
Error    11    error C2039: 'GameServerSteamAPIShutdown' : is not a member of 'IServerGameDLL'    c:\projects\sourcemod\dev\sourcemod_extensions\steamtools\extension\extension.cpp    75    1    steamtools
and some other errors dealing with 'PEntityOfEntIndex' not being a member of 'IVEngineServer', but iirc that can be worked around.

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-27-2013 at 16:09.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-02-2014 , 20:18   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #4

Bumping this in the hope that this might be the cure against F2Pers flooding L4D2 versus and destroying the games.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Sillium
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-07-2014 , 08:44   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #5

I don't think you can block F2P-L4D2-Players.... because L4D2 is not F2P. Yes Valve gave it away for free for a while but it's no F2P-Game like TF2 where you can distinguish between F2P and Premium players.

www.unterwasserpyromanen.de
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-07-2014 , 19:06   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #6

It is possible and would be done the exact same way, as previously discussed in the IRC.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Sillium
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-08-2014 , 04:57   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #7

So how can you distinguish between someone who got L4D2 while Valve gave it away and someone who bought it?
I'm just curious

www.unterwasserpyromanen.de
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-08-2014 , 05:38   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #8

Look at the TF2 plugin.

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-08-2014 , 09:18   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
Look at the TF2 plugin.
The TF2 plugin checks to see if players have Premium DLC, which TF2 players get the first time they buy something from the in-game store or when someone buys them an Upgrade to Premium thing from said store. L4D2 doesn't have that.

Last edited by Powerlord; 01-08-2014 at 09:23.
KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 01-08-2014 , 11:06   Re: Update to support more games
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
L4D2 doesn't have that.
You're right in the sense that it doesn't have DLC. However, their subscription is different then those who bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorDen View Post
I think you must use Steam_CheckClientSubscription/Steam_GetClientSubscription from SteamTools. Subs for F2P are 36144 (ROW), 36145 (DE), 36146 (AU)
Something like
PHP Code:
bool:IsClientF2P(client)
{
    new 
subIdsubCount Steam_GetNumClientSubscriptions(client);
    for (new 
0subCounti++)
    {

subId=Steam_GetClientSubscription(clienti);
        if (
36144 <= subId <= 36146)
        {
            return 
true;
        }
    }
    return 
false;

As to if it works or not is beyond me. SteamDB seems to support what was written; though.