Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D & L4D2] Weather Control (1.17) [12-Mar-2024]

Post New Thread Reply   

ResistanceYoshi
Old 05-10-2012 , 19:59   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #11

Congratulations on releasing the storm plugin. As always, it is pleasing to see a new plugin released to the public, you earned my greatest respect and I'll be sure to grab this.

Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 05-10-2012 , 20:24   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Plugin does seem to crash a bit due to too many entities with storm related configs.

It probably doesn't have room to utilize them but the maps with only light/skybox changes seem fine for me anyway.

But the storm related configs are causing client side crashes.

Maybe a tweak is in order. I have trust Silver will.
I forgot to add the bugs list to the first post, but this cannot be fixed. I think it's due to PC specs / game settings.

Rain bug:
Large maps and open areas will cause the game to crash, especially with lower hardware specs. The error message is: "Engine error: too many indicies for index buffer. . tell a programer ( 42432>32768 )". DO NOT report this problem, you can minimise the chances of the crash by setting rain to "1" or "0" on some maps. Or lower the maps z far clip.

Skybox bug:
Users with "low" shader settings will see the black and purple missing texture image if you use a skybox from Valve maps "c1" - "c5" on maps "c8" - "c12". Skyboxes from "c6" - "c13" will do the same on maps "c1" - "c5". "c6", "c7" and "c13" display a blue (or other solid color) background instead of the missing texture image. The "docks_hdr" skybox works fine on all maps for all users.
Old 05-11-2012 , 09:20   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #13

OMG looks awesome. Going to test this right away. Great job!
jake84
Old 05-11-2012 , 15:59   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #14

this works fantastic silvers. thank you
darkblades
Old 05-11-2012 , 18:45   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #15

Absolutely nice plugin, but way too many issues and errors!

Engine Error Dialog
Randomly the engine error dialog comes up and returns you to desktop, not sure how to follow it up, tried taking a screenshot but it comes up as a white box in photoshop. Anyone else want to confirm this? My computer is an absolute powerhouse with 8-cores, and a nice gfx, so if you think this is a pc end issue. I can assure its not.

Massive FPS Drops, and CPU Spikes
Randomly again, you will notice FPS drops down to heavy loads and other times cpu spikes causing the game to lag and you end up 10 feet in a direction you didn't want to go. Various player complaint the server sucked and or host was ****!

Bad Dynamic Lighting
Some areas have horrible dynamic lighting, but i think this is one of those features that cannot be fixed.

Good release overall, tons of bugs to be fixed! 6/10

Last edited by darkblades; 05-11-2012 at 18:46.
alexip121093
Old 05-11-2012 , 23:49   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblades View Post

Engine Error Dialog
Randomly the engine error dialog comes up and returns you to desktop, not sure how to follow it up, tried taking a screenshot but it comes up as a white box in photoshop. Anyone else want to confirm this? My computer is an absolute powerhouse with 8-cores, and a nice gfx, so if you think this is a pc end issue. I can assure its not.

Randomly again, you will notice FPS drops down to heavy loads and other times cpu spikes causing the game to lag and you end up 10 feet in a direction you didn't want to go. Various player complaint the server sucked and or host was ****!

Bad Dynamic Lighting
Some areas have horrible dynamic lighting, but i think this is one of those features that cannot be fixed.

Most likely It is the problem of your computer.
You underrated this plugin
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 05-12-2012 , 02:13   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:

Sure. Humans love to find patterns to things. Studies have shown this. Here's a true story, there have been times where I changed some hint text in a plugin or other small edit, and people complained that the new update was causing crashes or lag etc. Shows how people love to relate random issues to something else. A few friends recently complained about the map flashing in some areas of the map, but this has always been the case with dynamic light entities. The flashlight plugin can causes, it's not even storm related.

You say there are way too many errors? What errors, paste them.

Quote:
Engine Error Dialog
So now suddenly the plugin causes photos to appear white? No. This is an issue with your computer.

The engine crash thing is related to the rain and number of things visible on the map at the time of crash. List the maps which crash and your games graphic settings.

Quote:
Those who helped me testing did not complain about CPU spikes or lag spikes. The FPS drops will only occur 3 times on the player who first spawns. No one else will experience the FPS drops, unless you use the sm_maplight command. You will probably have a lower frame rate with the plugin because of the fog and cloud particles. What kind of gfx card do you have? "A nice one" doesn't cut it.

Quote:
Bad Dynamic Lighting
Lets see some screenshots. Are you talking about the Map Light Style? I have another version which affects 99% of the surfaces 99% of the time but would cause more lag on players first spawn, whereas the current one may only affect 70% of surfaces.

Last edited by Silvers; 05-12-2012 at 11:03.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 05-12-2012 , 09:57   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #18

Yeah I wouldn't trust that 'review' at all IMO.

Just sounds like some nutjob pub that's mad that he might run into a server with this plugin because he won't have his bright sun or his lukewarm skies.

I've found settings that are able to run the plugin just fine and so far haven't heard any complaints from clients. In fact nothing but praise.

Granted I've only been using it for Coop. VS I have yet to test it and VS is another animal full of morons.

Last edited by Sev; 05-12-2012 at 10:01.
darkblades
Old 05-12-2012 , 12:28   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #19

You don't have to, witha 6-core Amd processor clocked at 3.2 and a GTX460 you telling me I can't handle Left 4 Dead 2 Vanilla let alone with this plugin? Blaming people's PC has nothing to do with it. If you respecfully accept that fact that bad optimization in your part was done, that is a different story, but blaming a user like me with specs like that. Either your plugin is just so damn good it requires a 2000 dollar machine, or its just badly coded that you are too happy about it. Just cause you released 10-20 previous plugins doesn't change the fact that the last plugin you released can have hiccups...

Accepting them, and trying to fix them is the attitude i was expecting, but not this. Yeah, I run l4d at 254 FPS MAX, so I have a shitty pc. :/
http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces...h-yao-ming.png

Last edited by darkblades; 05-12-2012 at 12:29.
Sal Grosso
Old 05-12-2012 , 13:33   Re: [L4D2] Weather Control (1.0) [10-May-2012]
Reply With Quote #20

Worked fine on my dedicated Vs server. Silvers a question: if "use_section" is "random" and Random storm selection is "7"; on each map change, the custom storm types will cycle?

Sorry my bad English.