Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ TF2] Random Screen Static

Post New Thread Reply   

CelestOrion
Old 10-24-2012 , 12:00   [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #1

Basically, what this means is that, whenever you enable the plugin on the server, at random times, maybe about 30 seconds to a minute apart (that could probably be configured, as well), the screen will cut to about half a second static as what you would see on a TV screen or in one of those creepypasta zalgo-ified games online.

A good example of what I'm talking about could be found here, I've linked to the time when it should happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ANmqmOI#t=213s

I'm not sure if it would be something easy or difficult to throw together, but it was something a few of my server friends thought would be a boon to the game for a Freak Fortress boss we're about to try and configure.

Thanks for taking the time to check through this message.

Last edited by CelestOrion; 10-24-2012 at 14:22. Reason: Fixed broken example link
Send a message via Skype™ to CelestOrion
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-24-2012 , 14:18   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #2

FF2 already has a rage that replaces the entire screen with a specific image... rage_overlay in the file of the same name, as I recall.

The only thing it doesn't do is do it on a timer.
Old 10-24-2012 , 14:20   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #3

Are the images able to be animated, such as gifs, or need to be in a specific format? If so, then that would possibly work out for us. A timed one would also work, just for environmental effects.

EDIT: Fixed the link, it appeared to be broken.

Last edited by CelestOrion; 10-24-2012 at 14:22.
Send a message via Skype™ to CelestOrion
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-24-2012 , 14:22   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestOrion View Post
Are the images able to be animated, such as gifs, or need to be in a specific format? If so, then that would possibly work out for us. A timed one would also work, just for environmental effects.
I believe they have to be in VTF (or was that VMT?) format and I'm not sure if that supports animation... although it must, because it's the same format sprays use and I've seen animated sprays before.
Old 10-24-2012 , 14:26   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #5

True, and it would possibly work out for us in the meantime. When you say it's a rage, does that mean that it remains on the screen for the duration of the rage, or something that only lasts a second? Really just aiming for something quick that catches you off-guard, and I'm not sure that .vtf supports sound files in it, as well. I could be wrong, and might look into it further.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-24-2012 , 14:39   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestOrion View Post
True, and it would possibly work out for us in the meantime. When you say it's a rage, does that mean that it remains on the screen for the duration of the rage, or something that only lasts a second? Really just aiming for something quick that catches you off-guard, and I'm not sure that .vtf supports sound files in it, as well. I could be wrong, and might look into it further.
The second argument is the duration that it should show. When creating a boss, you have to specify a number of arguments for an abilitiy. The material used is arg1, the duration in seconds is arg2.

You're right, it doesn't currently play a sound. You'd need a modified version for that... or to just use a different ability to play a sound at the same time the overlay is shown.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-24-2012 at 14:41.
bl4nk
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-24-2012 , 16:48   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #7

VTF does support animations, but I'm not sure if they would display properly using an overlay. You'll probably just be better off producing two or three static images and rotate through each of them using a timer while playing a static sound.
FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 10-24-2012 , 17:01   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #8

I'm pretty sure I've seen animated screen overlays.
Old 10-24-2012 , 17:05   Re: [REQ TF2] Random Screen Static
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
VTF does support animations, but I'm not sure if they would display properly using an overlay. You'll probably just be better off producing two or three static images and rotate through each of them using a timer while playing a static sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTony View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen animated screen overlays.
Fatony is correct, animated overlays do work, i used to use them all the time.
Also i dont think the client needs to download the .vmt i maybe wrong, something to try out though - May just be me mis-thinking

is there a way to make an overlay, like fade, so say if i get closer to a entity or something the static gets more blinding?

Last edited by Mitchell; 10-24-2012 at 17:07.