Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server

Post New Thread Reply   

Chungking
Old 10-11-2020 , 23:01   Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #1

Hi there,

I've been an avid source gamer basically since 2005, however it wasn't until this year, specifically Covid, that I've taken the time to truly become immersed in servers, linux, etc. This has led me to want to run a vanilla Dod:S server, since most of the active servers in that game are, unfortunately, lame gun game stuff that I'm not really into.

Anyway, my current issue is this:

I'm currently running ubuntu 14 with steamcmd on a VPS I recently purchased.
Steamcmd was set up, as was the dedicated dod:s server (code 232290), mostly without issue.

As of Oct. 11, the server is running. My goal is to have stats, rank, kdr ratio, nextmap, votemap, votekick, etcetera through the chat. These are commands I'm used to playing with old servers back in the day. But in order to get close to this, I understand it's important to install some prerequisites, which has led me to the installation documentation for metamod, which seems straightforward.

After uploading via ftp, the extracted 'addons" folder provided on the downloads page for metamod, I was unable to find any indicator that it was installed. (rcon meta version yields no result). As far as I know, the 'addons' directory and files were copied into the correct game directory (dod).

The filepath: home/steam/steamcmd/dods/dod/addons# ls
metamod metamod.vdf sourcemod

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. I'm reasonably familiar with basic unix/ubuntu cli bash shit, ssh, ftp, but that's about it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this post. I really appreciate it, and am hopeful to become a new rookie hobby server admin!

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 10-12-2020 at 02:54. Reason: Merge cross posts
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2020 , 03:20   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #2

Hiya. Surprised this didn't get moved to the Source Servers subforum; seems like a better fit there.

What does rcon plugin_print output? If neither of those respond to anything it may be a DOD:S quirk (as I don't operate such a server myself), and you may want to try connecting your game client to the server and running meta version there, without RCON. That said, you should at least be getting "Unable to connect to remote server (x.x.x.x:p)" in the game console if RCON isn't successful.

It looks like you're quite familiar with *nix tooling, so make sure that the server is indeed up and running, and - just in case - that you've installed the correct binaries for the platform.

Good luck on the game server management!

Last edited by nosoop; 10-12-2020 at 03:21.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 10-12-2020 , 04:02   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoop View Post
Hiya. Surprised this didn't get moved to the Source Servers subforum; seems like a better fit there.
Please do the Report Post button trick for those parts in the future.

Anyway, I agree - should have been there, but fixed now.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Chungking
Old 10-12-2020 , 11:37   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
What does rcon plugin_print output?
It just shows two blank lines:
Loaded plugins:
---------------------
---------------------

Quote:
try connecting your game client to the server and running meta version there, without RCON.
I get "unknown command meta"

Rcon is successful, however. I am not familiar with many rcon commands, but when I connect my game client to it and type in the password, which I modified in the config, I am able to log in without issue.

Quote:
It looks like you're quite familiar with *nix tooling, so make sure that the server is indeed up and running, and - just in case - that you've installed the correct binaries for the platform.
I'm not actually familiar with nix tooling. All I've done in the past until now as far as using package managers is apt, running basic snaps, curl, wget, tar, etcetera.. real basic stuff.

What do you mean by correct binaries? The server is indeed up & running, it just doesn't appear to be detecting the metamod install, which I added through FTP.

Thank you for responding so quickly! I am happy to see that there's an active community here, and I can't wait to get this server loaded up with good plugins, though I suspect it'll take some time.

Edit: Sorry about the post being in the wrong forum. I saw that I may have at first put it in the wrong spot so I went to the metamod forum.

Last edited by Chungking; 10-12-2020 at 11:40.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-12-2020 , 16:55   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #5

Here's a couple of things to try:

1) Look in `dods/dod/` for a `metamod_fatal.log`
2) Run `find addons/metamod/ -type f` in `dods/dod/` and post the ouput
3) Run `plugin_load addons/metamod/bin/server` and see what happens
Old 10-12-2020 , 19:54   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungking View Post
I'm not actually familiar with nix tooling. All I've done in the past until now as far as using package managers is apt, running basic snaps, curl, wget, tar, etcetera.. real basic stuff.

What do you mean by correct binaries? The server is indeed up & running, it just doesn't appear to be detecting the metamod install, which I added through FTP.

Edit: Sorry about the post being in the wrong forum. I saw that I may have at first put it in the wrong spot so I went to the metamod forum.
That's fine; as long as you have an understanding on how to navigate around the system and have no problems with looking up how to do things, you should do pretty well.

The correct binaries would be the Linux version, just a validation pass to make sure you didn't grab an archive with DLL or DYLIB files instead.

Judging by the console output it doesn't look like MM:S is loading in. I do actually have a DOD:S installation for testing a few plugins, so the game is definitely supported. Ubuntu 14.04 is close to EOL though, so it may be possible that the libraries are compiled with toolchains that are too new for your machine (my test instance uses 16.04).

But do try asherkin's suggestions first; it should tell you exactly what's wrong.
Chungking
Old 10-12-2020 , 21:46   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
1) Look in `dods/dod/` for a `metamod_fatal.log`
In that directory, there is no log by that name. There is only a console.log\
Quote:
2) Run `find addons/metamod/ -type f` in `dods/dod/` and post the ouput
"No such file or directory" when typing that in whilst in the dods/dod/ directory.

Quote:
3) Run `plugin_load addons/metamod/bin/server` and see what happens
"command not found"

--
In /steamcmd/dods/dod/addons, I do have a /metamod/ directory, which contains the following.

bin, metaplugins.ini, Readme.txt, sourcemod.vdf
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2020 , 22:06   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #8

The plugin_load command should be run from the server (game) console.

What's in the bin/ subdirectory?
Chungking
Old 10-12-2020 , 23:53   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
The plugin_load command should be run from the server (game) console.

What's in the bin/ subdirectory?
Name:  swearingallowed.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  80.2 KB
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 10-13-2020 , 03:26   Re: Help installing metamod on ubuntu 14 VPS running Dod:s server
Reply With Quote #10

Apologies for the confusion. I'm asking about ~steam/steamcmd/dods/dod/addons/metamod/bin, since that's where I expect the Metamod:Source binaries to be.

Last edited by nosoop; 10-13-2020 at 03:27.