Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID

Post New Thread Reply   

WaLLy3K
Old 02-17-2009 , 05:23   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #131

Yeah, it's a complete load of crap (at first, at least) that Valve decided to change it for L4D and TF2 - most people just didn't realise and (I) thought that it like, just a new auth server or something. Never having to look at my own Steam ID in L4D, I never saw that my own ID had changed.

It should all now just be 1 instead of having it mixed between orangebox and non orangebox.

Last edited by WaLLy3K; 02-17-2009 at 07:30.
Send a message via MSN to WaLLy3K
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 02-17-2009 , 13:29   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #132

Everyone should just switch to using the 32 bit int version of the STEAM ID's for everything.

Future proof that way, and works all over.
BAILOPAN
Old 02-18-2009 , 10:32   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
Everyone should just switch to using the 32 bit int version of the STEAM ID's for everything.

Future proof that way, and works all over.
It's not and there's little convincing reason to believe this, for redistributable plugins. The intermediary formats are irrelevant, users only care about the input format. In terms of compatibility, as long as there exists a conversion algorithm, values can be normalized internally to anything with no usability expense.

Such a conversion algorithm isn't a real guarantee in the first place, so this is moot, or even refuted - instead a Steam ID in a database should be a tuple of [type, identifier], which is implicitly preserved (unoptimally) in using the straight string format.

This isn't to say that there is no value in converting Steam IDs to integers. It's not a panacea though. As with everything Valve does, I will tread carefully until a solution is verifiably required. After all, the TF2 change was reverted pretty quickly.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 02-18-2009 at 10:42.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 02-18-2009 , 21:13   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
It's not and there's little convincing reason to believe this, for redistributable plugins. The intermediary formats are irrelevant, users only care about the input format. In terms of compatibility, as long as there exists a conversion algorithm, values can be normalized internally to anything with no usability expense.

Such a conversion algorithm isn't a real guarantee in the first place, so this is moot, or even refuted - instead a Steam ID in a database should be a tuple of [type, identifier], which is implicitly preserved (unoptimally) in using the straight string format.

This isn't to say that there is no value in converting Steam IDs to integers. It's not a panacea though. As with everything Valve does, I will tread carefully until a solution is verifiably required. After all, the TF2 change was reverted pretty quickly.
Theres a new GetClientSteamID on IVEngineServer that returns a CSteamID instance, I think it's a matter of time before valve actually changes the steamid strings, the ID's themselves will be the same (at least I suspect), just they will change it's representation as a string.

I've actually decided to store them as 64 bit ints (same as SteamCommunity ID's) now.
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 02-22-2009 , 21:42   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #135

Some MySQL stored procedures to do this for you (Note: Assumes you are entering these using the command line client, otherwise you may need to fiddle with the delimiters)

Code:
DELIMITER | 
drop function SteamToInt|

create function SteamToInt(steamid varchar(64))
RETURNS bigint(64)
BEGIN
	declare authserver int;
	declare authid int;

set authserver = cast(substr(steamid,9,1) as unsigned integer);
	set authid = cast(substr(steamid,11) as unsigned integer);
	return 76561197960265728+(authid*2)+authserver;
END |

drop function IntToSteam|

create function IntToSteam(communityid bigint(64))
RETURNS varchar(64)
BEGIN
	declare ret varchar(64);
	declare authserver int;
	declare authid bigint;

set communityid = communityid-76561197960265728;
	set authserver = mod(communityid,2);
	set communityid = communityid-authserver;
	set authid = communityid/2;
	set ret = concat("STEAM_0:",authserver,":",authid);
	return ret;
END |
DELIMITER ;
Usage:
Code:
select SteamToInt("STEAM_0:1:1199"), IntToSteam(76561197960268127);
Old 02-25-2009 , 03:10   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #136

Damn i still don't get it how this converting works!
I think we all know AMXBans and i'm trying to add this converting technique to it so when you click on a steamID you automaticly go to the steam community page for the banned player.

I see al huge scripts here in this topic and i don't understand what they actualy are doing or how to add them, i'm just looking for a simple script which only convert the steamID to the communityID.

For example:
$steamid = $result->player_id;
$community_id = "convert $steamid
to steam_communityID";

Then i can use the below line in the template:
<td><a href='
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/{$community_id}'>{$bans.player_id}</a></td>

Anyone know how to write the red part in working PHP language or is it just not possible to use it together with the AMXBans script?
Old 02-25-2009 , 03:47   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #137

Add this in the amxbans query and make a link of the steamid with the comid, i hope you know what i mean, im not to good in explaning, player_id is the field in amxbans for the steamid but i guess you already knew that

Code:
SELECT somefield, cast(mid(player_id,9,1)  as unsigned) + cast('76561197960265728' as unsigned) + cast(mid(player_id, 11,10)*2 as unsigned) AS comid, somefield FROM sometable
Old 02-25-2009 , 04:17   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #138

Thanks for the help but is it not possible without an extra query something like this for example.

PHP Code:
$communityid "cast(mid($player_id,9,1)  as unsigned) + cast('76561197960265728' as unsigned) + cast(mid($player_id, 11,10)*2 as unsigned)"
The above line doesn't work but maybe with a changement it can?
Old 02-25-2009 , 05:22   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #139

What i wrote will work, add it in all querys were you get player_id like i wrote above and the parse comid to the template for bandetailes and use comid do do a link of the steamid like this
Code:
<td height='16' width='70%' class='listtable_1'>{if $ban_info.player_id == "&nbsp;"}<i><font color='#677882'>{"_NOSTEAMID"|lang}</font></i>{else}<a href=http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/".$ban_info.comid." target=_blank>{$ban_info.player_id}</a>{/if}</td>
Old 02-25-2009 , 16:57   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Add this in the amxbans query and make a link of the steamid with the comid, i hope you know what i mean, im not to good in explaning, player_id is the field in amxbans for the steamid but i guess you already knew that

Code:
SELECT somefield, cast(mid(player_id,9,1)  as unsigned) + cast('76561197960265728' as unsigned) + cast(mid(player_id, 11,10)*2 as unsigned) AS comid, somefield FROM sometable
Why would yo do that when I just gave you a nice stored procedure to do it