Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Ping trouble

Post New Thread Reply   

P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2008 , 04:26   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #21

@Lee, I don't think contesting his upload speed is going off-topic since most users that makes these kinds of posts/claims here in AMXx don't even know the difference between downstream and upstream. That's why at least provide a solid proof that your bandwidth is not the one causing problems. That way, it can be set aside and other questions can be asked.

@doone, are you playing on the same machine? HNS + BLOCKMAKER uses a lot of resources too IIRC.
doonne
Old 03-03-2008 , 05:48   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #22

I have downloaded blockmaker_v3.60 [BM] And Ultra Hide-N-Seek! from this site.
I have also recently discovered that the lag (high ping) also comes up when I walk on some blocks.

I think I'll make an exception and copy my last post from blockmaker_v3.60 [BM] thread since this isn't the right place for it, but here is what I wrote:

as soon as someone steps on for example camouflage, invicible or stealth blocks the game starting to go very slow.
How come? solutions?
SCHWEDEN
Old 03-03-2008 , 09:39   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #23

Yes I think its the cpu failing too, sounds exactly like a problem i had. Either dont use the plugin or buy a dual/quad core

Send a message via MSN to SCHWEDEN
TheNewt
Donor
Old 03-03-2008 , 13:21   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #24

doonne answer these questions:

What kind of internal network do you have set up?
Do you have a router?
Do you have multiple machines on your network?
Is your server directly connected to the modem, or is there a router in between?
Do you have a firewall?
Are you playing on the same machine that the server is hosted on?

Please answer as accurately as you are capable of.
Styles
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2008 , 14:02   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #25

Thats amazing...I really wish I had a 20mb connection.. I'm sitting here with 3MB ... this guys got 20mb.. I hate the us.
Send a message via AIM to Styles
doonne
Old 03-03-2008 , 15:06   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #26

I have 3 computers and yes I have a router.
I have portforwarded the Counter Strike ports.
No, I dont have a firewall.
Playing from the same machine as the server is hosted on, yes.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-03-2008 , 15:13   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonne View Post
That is probably your problem. Accourding to others, BCM and HnS require a lot of Proc power. So, running the server AND playing on the same comp is normally not a good idea. And adding plugins that need a lot of proc, that is even worse. I would recommend putting the server on a dedicated box just to it or think about purchasing a server to rent

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
TheNewt
Donor
Old 03-03-2008 , 15:33   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonne View Post
That is your problem right there. You can't do that since it will waste the computer's resources, both CPU and the network will slow down.
kp_uparrow
Penalized Member
Old 03-03-2008 , 18:23   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #29

just dont play the same machine as the server, or set hlds priority to high

@lee, its 20/20, not 100/20, and i bet its shared, like all dedicated server hosting, and it should cost $200 minimum, the $64 one is probably 5/2

@doonne, why not show us a real bandwidth test @dslreports.com or something, ur graph just shows a constant 18.7, min 18.7, max 18.7, what are the chances?

Last edited by kp_uparrow; 03-03-2008 at 18:27.
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-03-2008 , 20:24   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #30

I'm well aware of what I linked to kp_uparrow. You said "20megabit costs like 200 at least" when the simple fact is no, it doesn't. Stop refusing to accept reality. All residential connections are shared as I've already said. I'm not sure what you meant by "its shared, like all dedicated server hosting" because that's not true either if you rent a leased line.

The chances of min and max being the same are 1 (certain) if he only took one test (as the graph clearly shows, with one point plotted). The piece of software he's using conducts a speed test and averages the throughput during the test (like all speed tests) and then uses that value to draw the graph.

At this point I'm dumbfounded. A speed test was requested (which was in my opinion wrong to begin with, since he confirmed he was not confusing units of data) and when presented with one, you don't believe the results of that either. Unbelievable.

I feel like I'm the troublemaker, when all I'm trying to do is defend common sense.

Last edited by Lee; 03-04-2008 at 00:28.