12% 

SourceMod Package Manager

Post New Thread Reply   

Scag
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-04-2021 , 00:23   SourceMod Package Manager
Reply With Quote #1

Hi.

I thought it'd be fun to make my own package manager. So I made one. I was right. It was fun.

I read Phil25's thesis last year and thought the idea was super neat. Throwing myself through this forum trying to find the right plugin/extension was always fun (I bet I've clicked on the DHooks page at least 1000 times by now). Phil created SourceMod Addon Manager (SMAM) as his way of making a package manager. It was fantastic, but it lacked 2 things: scalability and portability.

I went ahead and rewrote it as a Python package, skewering the portability issue. The next step was making the package manager scalable. Imagine hosting 8 different servers on one big VDS. It must suck having to update SourceMod every time there's a game update (unless you're playing TF2 ). Managing multiple servers was a must-have feature. Secondly, being able to download and extract to multiple servers at once is an extremely powerful utility. But what if you host different types of servers that need different types of plugins to be updated? Differentiating between servers with plugin installations? Now we're talking. What about production? Can I quickly create a server with the plugins and extensions that I need for testing my own plugins? Absolutely something that I, a plugin developer, would want.

I created SMAM2. It combines the portability and power I need when I need to spin up a test server or whip up a VM for server production. I didn't think I would actually use it, but after toying with it a bit, I think it's pretty badass.

If you're interested, please check it out:

GITHUB

Please add your plugins!
I can't do web programming to save my life. So for now, every addon is listed in a .json file in the repo. The cool thing about that is that you can add your own projects to the repo easily. How to do so is listed here. Just file a pull request!

If someone is good at this whole web programming thing, you could totally help make this idea worthwhile :^)

GitHub
BTC
ETH

Retired
Hannibal2210
Old 11-05-2021 , 14:59   Re: SourceMod Package Manager
Reply With Quote #2

Great idea, shall check this one out