Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

FF2 [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator

Post New Thread Reply   

The_dr
Old 06-20-2014 , 11:06   [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #1

Making config files for Freak Fortress can be a hard and can easily lead to typos and problems that can cause your boss to not work. This CFG generator will make your bosses for you.

I had to make an application for my coding class and decided, “instead of making a dumb one time use quiz application, why don’t I make something useful?” and so I did, you can use the Generator to make entire bosses, or simply as a starting place for your boss.

Not all the possibilities for a FF2 boss are present in the Generator, however the important ones are, and you can refine the code yourself after you’ve made the boss.

The generator only supports the default rages that come with FF2, any other rages will have to be added manually. There is an in application help button that should answer any problems concerning how the application works.

There are 6 windows that you will need to use.
1. Boss Settings
2. Boss Description
3. Boss Weapons
4. Boss Ability's
5. Boss Sounds
6. Boss Materials

change log
Code:
Bug: Fixed problem where user wold forget to click the up button on the sounds page.
Bug: Removed mat download from the config, you have to include your rage overlay in the materials section as there was a problem with naming before.
Bug: selecting a single audio file was broken.
Addition: you can now select multiple sound files at a time now as well.
Tweak: Refined and optimised some code.
Addition: You can now select multiple materials at a time.
Fix: Fixed a crash caused by an loop going above an arrays max size.
Tweak: Warning added in Character description to not use quotes.
FIX: The material window now has you select both the VMT and VTF files instead of automatically adding the both. (Originally you would have to select the VMT and the VTF would be automatically added, however some bosses have a VMT that points to several VTF so you have to manually select all the VMT/VTF ‘s now.)
Tweak: Added some more help for adding sounds
Tweak: Added more help boxes for models/materials/sounds
Special Thanks:
Code:
WildCard65: helping me fix an old problem causing the files to be saved in the wrong format.
Jelly beans: Bug Checking/Testing. Requesting to be able to select multiple sounds at a time.
Source code

If you have any questions or problems please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FF2CFGGenerator v3.1.2.zip (937.3 KB, 2805 views)

Last edited by The_dr; 11-29-2015 at 13:47. Reason: updating
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2014 , 13:50   Re: Freak Fortress 2 cfg Generator
Reply With Quote #2

Try saving file without bom?
BBG_Theory
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2014 , 18:32   Re: Freak Fortress 2 cfg Generator
Reply With Quote #3

nice efforts. How good is it with the weapon's attributes ???? I'll try it out next boss
The_dr
Old 06-20-2014 , 19:11   Re: Freak Fortress 2 cfg Generator
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG_Theory View Post
nice efforts. How good is it with the weapon's attributes ???? I'll try it out next boss
Unfortunately, attributes are the same as they where before. (ex 1 ; 5 ; 2 ; 100 ; 3 ; 50 etc...)
Old 06-20-2014 , 21:22   Re: Freak Fortress 2 cfg Generator
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard65 View Post
Try saving file without bom?
Thanks For The help, I Changed the codec that the cfg Files and it now works perfectly
Old 06-22-2014 , 19:45   Re: [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #6

I got a small problem with the config generator. Whenever I select a 'path' for it to find soundfiles, model files, or materials, it sprouts out the following(i removed my username from it for privacy reasons).

m.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog: Title: FF2 .cfg Generator, FileName: C:\Users\"explunged"\Desktop\Krieg the Pyro\sounds\kill.mp3

I know I could manually fix it, but this is for the model files, sound files, and download lists as well, which are the most tedious and longest parts of creating a hale. Could I know why it does this?

If its due to a glitch, is there any way around it, or do i need to wait for an update to fix it?
The_dr
Old 06-22-2014 , 19:55   Re: [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxray View Post
I got a small problem with the config generator. Whenever I select a 'path' for it to find soundfiles, model files, or materials, it sprouts out the following(i removed my username from it for privacy reasons).

m.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog: Title: FF2 .cfg Generator, FileName: C:\Users\"explunged"\Desktop\Krieg the Pyro\sounds\kill.mp3

I know I could manually fix it, but this is for the model files, sound files, and download lists as well, which are the most tedious and longest parts of creating a hale. Could I know why it does this?

If its due to a glitch, is there any way around it, or do i need to wait for an update to fix it?
The application looks for the files relative to their folder, if it can’t find the folder it doesn’t know what to do. An easy fix for this is to put your models/materials/sounds into a folder call models/materials/sounds. For example make a folder called sounds on your desktop and place the sounds in that folder. For example you sound path would look like this: (C:\Users\"explunged"\Desktop\sound\Krieg the Pyro\sounds\kill.mp3)
Then the application would find the sounds folder and your file.
Old 06-22-2014 , 22:34   Re: [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #8

I tried it, it still gives me the same problem. Welp...
The_dr
Old 06-22-2014 , 22:37   Re: [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #9

I released a new version, you could try that.
Old 06-24-2014 , 10:10   Re: [TOOL] Freak Fortress 2 Boss CFG Generator
Reply With Quote #10

As someone who has been drafted as the official nerd of a community (no, not this one ), I'm a little bit concerned. Yeah, the folks in the community I'm a part of are already familiar with .cfg's so it's not that...I'm just a bit uncomfortable with front ends in general.

The reason being that when things change and the front end fails to be maintained, folks who never spent the 10 minutes to learn the command line or scary cfg format or whatever...are completely clueless and think they're unable to do their work because the front end is broken. Some recent examples...one person who doesn't know how to use the command line to compile models, stuck using some outdated program that doesn't support jigglebones. I had to instruct them how to use the command line and batch files. Another person couldn't get any front ends for compiling maps working and I had to make them a crappy but functional Java program that generates a command line build script for them. (though I also told them how to use the command line functions manually )

But the root of the problem isn't your fault or anything...it's just that front ends often just serve to make people ignorant, much like Windows' despicable practice of hiding file extensions from people by default. Yes people will make mistakes at first but if they're persistent they'll figure things out. Front ends just delay this process and slow people down in the long run.

I do have a number of concerns about this program, though. Well made rages will have documentation commented out in the cfg files, but if this program is encouraging people to avoid the scary cfg files, they'll never see this documentation. It also seems like it only generates new cfg files and maintenance will require editing the cfg file anyway. People will probably end up making more mistakes because without looking at existing examples of non-stock rages, people won't know what to add in the first place...so they'll need to edit cfg files manually which is what the program is aiming to keep people from doing.

That's my two cents, anyway. If the FF2 folks are going to officially back this program, they're going to have some awkward support posts to handle...

By the way, I think one way people could better learn how to edit .cfg files themselves is for documentation for rage parameters for stock hales to be in their .cfg files. Much like I did with my DOT platform and the example hales I included.

Last edited by sarysa; 06-24-2014 at 10:14.