Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Could not find Database conf "sourcebans"

Post New Thread Reply   

Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-17-2014 , 04:01   Could not find Database conf "sourcebans"
Reply With Quote #1

Sorry for the nusience, first-time SourceBans admin here. Was able to eventually get the web-site running. However, having trouble getting the plug-in to work.

I am seeing this error in my sourcebans.log log:
Code:
L 02/17/2014 - 03:45:54: [sourcebans.smx] Database failure: Could not find Database conf "sourcebans". See FAQ: http://sourcebans.net/node/19
That kind of sounds to me, not like it can not connect to the database (hasn't gotten that far), but can't retrieve/partse the database information properly from the databases.cfg file? But, I can't seem to see what I have (presumably) done wrong here.

Troubleshooting performed so far:
  • Verified that MySQL server permissions for MySQL user are from "any" host.
  • Verified that MySQL database permission for MySQL user are everything except "grant".
  • Verified database is created/available (i.e. the web-site accesses it just fine - using same host-name, user-name and password running on the same server).
  • Verified that plug-in's databases.cfg file uses equivalent configuration.
  • Verified that "driver_default" is not duplicated in the databases.cfg file.
  • Checked the opening/closing braces ("{" and "}") in the databases.cfg file.
  • Tried both "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" in the databases.cfg file for the "host" option under the "sourcebans" section.
  • Tried both "mysql" and "default" in the databases.cfg file file for the "driver" option under the "sourcebans" section.

Sample databases.cfg file (some details redacted):
Spoiler
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2014 , 07:44   Re: Could not find Database conf "sourcebans"
Reply With Quote #2

Yes the 1.5 plugin which is part of rev 160 or higher requires you to place sourceban's entry over default. I think

Last edited by WildCard65; 02-17-2014 at 07:44.
Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-17-2014 , 12:21   Re: Could not find Database conf "sourcebans"
Reply With Quote #3

Update: I think I got this figured-out ... I'll post for anybody who hits similar issue to me:
  • When making changes to databases.cfg, apparently a restart of SRCDS is required - not just a reload the plug-in. In hindsight, I guess that should have been obvious to me, but it wasn't. I just kept making changes and reloading the plug-in, and of course not getting anywhere.
  • Once I restarted SRCDS, I started getting a completely different error message in the sourcebans.log error log:
    Code:
    Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
  • So, then I started working that error (Google it, etc.).
  • The fix for that error is to use "127.0.0.1" as the hostname value in the databases.cfg file (instead of "localhost") - and of course, restart SRCDS. This apparently ensures connections are made to the MySQL server using TCP/IP - instead of resorting RPC's/Named-Pipes.
  • That got me past the "Could not find Database conf" stuff. Of course, you can still get other errors with incorrect user-name or password at this point - if something is incorrect with that, or your MySQL server permissions, etc. But, nothing is complaining about not being able to even determine what database configuration to use.

Last edited by Weasel; 02-17-2014 at 12:22. Reason: Added note about RPC's/Named-Pipes