Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

whats is the best os for hlds server

Post New Thread Reply   

kikizon2
Old 01-28-2014 , 01:14   whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #1

Hi all i need know what is the best os linux? For cs 1.6 server??

Sorry by my bad English
simanovich
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-28-2014 , 02:32   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #2

Any updated linux OS.

Many people use CentOS (v6.X+)
Old 01-28-2014 , 05:39   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #3

The best OS is the OS that you know the best. If you don't know Linux but still want to use it, be prepared to do a lot of learning on your own (there is an abundant amount of information online).
Old 01-28-2014 , 16:10   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #4

Linux is more secure and stable than windows
for me linux is the best
MAUGHOLD
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 06:14   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #5

Linux is horrible for running hlds. If you want the highest possible bullet registration and a much more compatible friendly OS as far as amxmodx is concerned, then run it on windows server 2008 r2 enterprise. It simply comes down to not having to use any -pingboost command in order to get a stable 1000fps and then also AMXX plugin compatability.
{FJ}Justice STEAM_0:0:633975 If anyone needs any help with their server, Just add me to steam friends and I'll help you out.

Last edited by MAUGHOLD; 01-29-2014 at 06:18.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 12:33   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #6

Plugins are not OS specific. I compile everything with the Windows® compiler for both Windows® and Linux. In fact, I have the actual Window® executables on my Linux box.

Last edited by fysiks; 01-29-2014 at 12:34.
MAUGHOLD
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 18:51   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Plugins are not OS specific. I compile everything with the Windows® compiler for both Windows® and Linux. In fact, I have the actual Window® executables on my Linux box.
I've proven to myself that plugins run on Linux that do not work, and then are tried on windows server 2008r2 work flawlessly. I just setup several goldsource servers that I had been running on Linux and I had around 7 plugins that were not working at all on Linux. I copied my amxmodx folder from my Linux server to my windows server and BAM. All of the plugins that were not running at all under the old Linux OS were now running perfectly under windows. These were plugins that had been compiled locally by me on windows 7.

Whats more, the plugins that were running under the Linux OS had some features that were not working correctly and those plugin issues were solved by moving to windows. You can say all you want to about what you think you know Fysiks, but until you've done the amount of testing that I have with both operating systems, you will fail to understand what I mean.

As an aside, I've read several times that if your compiling plugins it should be done on the OS your running them on. But hey if it works for you that's the only thing that matters right ?

P.S. http://www.amxmodx.org/snapshots.php Why would anyone bother to have different OS versions of software if the OS didn't matter. Since then I just scrapped everything and went with AMXX windows 1.83-190 for all of my servers and everything runs so sweet its not even funny.
{FJ}Justice STEAM_0:0:633975 If anyone needs any help with their server, Just add me to steam friends and I'll help you out.

Last edited by MAUGHOLD; 01-29-2014 at 19:10. Reason: typos
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 19:12   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #8

The builds are similar but not the same. Sometimes slight differences cause stability problems in places you would not suspect... Or other oddities.
MAUGHOLD
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 19:38   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #9

I just thought I would also add these stats from EKS's server performance plugin.
As you can see even with running 89 plugins with 19 players, on windows 2008r2 my server side fps stays at a very high level.
Most CAL M skill level players can kill 5 to 7 enemies with the mp40 in under 4 seconds when traveling in a tight group. To put it bluntly my servers are head shot central. I have one DoD1.3 server in London and play from Sacramento California with a 165ms and I hardly even notice the difference from my New York server with 95 ms.

Code:
GenStats version 1.0.0
Generating stats based on: C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxx\Desktop\NEW PLUGINS\ALLMODS_SER
VER_PERFORMANCE_MONITOR\genstats_1.0.0\preformancelog_29.log
FPS info: Average 609
Lowest:132 Time:17:38:48 Players:19/26 Entitys:420
Highest:999 Time:06:49:30 Players:0/26 Entitys:226
Entity Info: Average 195
Lowest:103 Time:07:13:10 Players:0/26 FPS:391
Highest:491 Time:15:38:01 Players:24/26 FPS:308

Last edited by MAUGHOLD; 01-29-2014 at 19:46. Reason: typos
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 19:42   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUGHOLD View Post
P.S. Why would anyone bother to have different OS versions of software if the OS didn't matter. Since then I just scrapped everything and went with AMXX windows 1.83-190 for all of my servers and everything runs so sweet its not even funny.
I didn't say anything about AMX Mod X being OS independent. The plugins themselves are interpreted by AMX Mod X, not by the OS (afaik). I'd be interested to find out what plugin were having issues on Linux but not Windows. I know there are some functions that you can break by specifying an incorrect linux offset which would cause the issue that you describe.

Last edited by fysiks; 01-29-2014 at 19:43.