Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

L4D2 update broke sourcemod?

Post New Thread Reply   

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 07-06-2013 , 13:11   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx2 View Post
@psychonic - feel free to move this discussion to the new thread I just created for this topic.

My server is brand-spanking new, freshly downloaded because of SteamPipe (twice, actually, since I wanted linux symbols for sig scanning). I archived the old server wholesale so I could start from scratch. After SteamPipe finished, I ran the server once to ensure it launched, then shut the server down and added latest snapshots of MM 1.10 and SM 1.6.

All clients were upgraded through the Steam interface as usual. They still have pre-SteamPipe VPKs that modified game files (e.g. Rayman's All Mutations Unlocked, Private Game Enabler, etc) - could those be causing the issue? FYI, I know better than to muck around with Steam binaries, because I would never even risk triggering VAC.
It's also possible that Steam was just temporarily down at the time.

I only mentioned the other possibility as it seems to be a little more widespread in L4D(2) than in other games. If you have haven't mucked with steamclient.so or libsteam_api.so, it was probably just a temporary issue.

Regardless, the 1.4 branch won't be supported forever and it is vulnerable to certain types of admin-takeover attacks that fortunately are not very widespread.

Last edited by psychonic; 07-06-2013 at 13:13.
dcx2
Old 07-06-2013 , 13:29   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #192

I don't think it was a temporary Steam being down thing, because it was messed up over the course of 24+ hours, and fixed the minute I switched to 1.4.8. Personally I'd like to move to a newer SM, since it has SDKHooks built in and all.

Wait, is this an issue with my server or client? I'm confused now...I use Windows for both, not linux, so I have dll's instead. It is possible the server or client has a virus on it (they *are* Windows laptops lol)?

I'm rather concerned now, because I haven't touched any files like that, and my issue was not temporary...
Old 07-06-2013 , 13:37   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #193

That feature that messes up admin when steam is down only is in SM 1.5 and 1.6, so it makes sense
that it stopped after you had downgraded. Though, whenever that happens you just need to set SteamAuthstringValidation to no for a short period and set it back when steam servers are ok.

Last edited by Visual77; 07-06-2013 at 13:38.
wendigo
Old 07-06-2013 , 13:49   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx2 View Post
It's not your GSP's responsibility to update extensions. You need to contact the extension's author, probably in their respective thread, and get them to recompile. Then point your GSP at the new extension and they'll install it.
Let me get this straight. Extensions, are files deep inside the steam/l4d2 folders for server?
dcx2
Old 07-06-2013 , 14:02   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #195

Extensions are the highest level of kung-fu possible. There's basic kung fu, which doesn't even require gamedata, like my laser sight plugin. There's intermediate kung fu, which can use gamedata to call game functions, like resetting your ability meter in the infected release plugin, but it can't change things the game does on its own. Then there's advanced kung fu, which uses extensions like Left4Downtown2 and SDKHooks, like in my Undo Friendly Fire plugin where I completely block the damage from happening. Extensions can actively change the values that the game is using in real-time, not just after-the-fact. These are called "Forwards".

Extensions for Linux will require recompiling, because the insides of the Linux dedicated server have changed, and extensions need to know what the insides look like in order to change things in real-time.

Last edited by dcx2; 07-06-2013 at 14:03.
Minoru
Old 07-06-2013 , 15:10   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #196

Hi !

I've installed MM 1.9.3-hg821 and SM 1.5.0-hg3849 but the server don't load anything :

Code:
Connection to Steam servers successful.
   VAC secure mode is activated.
meta version
Unknown command "meta"
Any idea what I am missing ?

Thank you very much for the mods
Tamasa
Old 07-06-2013 , 15:12   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #197

Can anyone link me to the latest version for Linux servers that is working, because I'm a noob and can't find it.
NoNmae2013
Old 07-06-2013 , 15:18   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #198

Same for me could someone please post a link to the Linux updates if/when they are ready please, Thanks
monkman
Old 07-06-2013 , 15:33   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #199

Took all of 1 minute to go back a page or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Okay, the changes are now in.

For linux, you'll want
MM:S 1.10.0-dev+hg847 or 1.9.3-dev+hg821 (or any later).
and
SM 1.5.0-dev+hg3849 or 1.4.8-dev+hg3634 (or any later).

Any extension developers compiling against the sdk will need to recompile their extensions for linux after pulling the latest changes from hl2sdk-l4d2. You may also need to update your makefiles to link against libtier0_srv.so and/or libvstdlib_srv.so.
bluebrain
Old 07-06-2013 , 15:41   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #200

check http://sourcemm.net/snapshots for mm
check http://www.sourcemod.net/snapshots.php for sm