Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Nav Mesh

Post New Thread Reply   

Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 17:49   [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #1

I was just wondering. Is there any tool available to edit nav mesh on l4d2 maps? An extension probably? I thought of Stripper, but not sure, if it allows you to edit nav mesh.
Old 09-25-2016 , 18:17   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #2

Edit it in-game? I don't think you can do that (and you risk segmentation fault if you can).

Otherwise, you should be able to edit it through your client.
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 18:39   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #3

I been needing to do so for some custom maps, but the problem is that they all come in vpk. I would have to extract them and then change nav files. Its too much of a hassle. Was thinking if there is an easy way.
Old 09-26-2016 , 08:12   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_12 View Post
I been needing to do so for some custom maps, but the problem is that they all come in vpk. I would have to extract them and then change nav files. Its too much of a hassle. Was thinking if there is an easy way.
If I remember correctly, there is still (was?) an extension that do this. Don't know how but I noticed it in some modded servers obviously. Was playing in the middle of the round, saw bots getting stuck due to a Stripper-made entity when an admin joined and suddenly, the bots went around it at the same time the admin left.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 08:26   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #5

You can punch "sm exts list" on any SM server to get their list of extensions (ditto for "sm plugins list").
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 10:36   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
If I remember correctly, there is still (was?) an extension that do this. Don't know how but I noticed it in some modded servers obviously. Was playing in the middle of the round, saw bots getting stuck due to a Stripper-made entity when an admin joined and suddenly, the bots went around it at the same time the admin left.
That could be admin teleporting bot. Anyway, I would appreciate, if you can get me the name of the extension.
Old 09-26-2016 , 10:44   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #7

There was a plugin that allowed for edited nav mesh.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...=nav+generator

I couldn't figure out how to get it working for L4D2 though, because I desperately was looking for a fix for that Dark Carnival finale, with at least one tank dying out around 50 percent of the time and the specials always getting stuck in those new spots Valve added years back to 'fix' the camping in the finale.

I ended up having to wipe my server because the old nav meshes would no longer work.

Last edited by Sev; 09-26-2016 at 10:44.
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 13:01   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #8

That plugin's source code makes no sense to me. Seems like it copies the base.nav file and renames it to map name.

I got a question here. What if you have map.nav, and then map.nav_1. Which one is loaded for the map, if anyone tested that?
Old 09-26-2016 , 15:27   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #9

You can edit the nav FILE while in game with some plugin, but if you want to edit the loaded navmesh you need to find an access to the game variable named "TheNavMesh" and use the CNavMesh functions. ( CNavMesh::DestroyArea(CNavArea*), CNavMesh::RemoveNavArea(CNavArea*) ect...)
Some of them are virtuals, but not all. If you need a clean interface exposing the CNavArea you can use this plugin made by Kit o' Riffty and updated and maintened by me: https://github.com/Benoist3012/sourc...de/navmesh.inc, you can contact me on steam if you have any question about it.

But I'll be honest with you, I never tried to get an access to CNavMesh so I don't know how to guide you on how to get it. But it should be similar to how sourcemod gets g_pGamerules. Editing the loaded navmesh while the game is running is possible (see the local edition with bots). So I'm pretty sure it's possible on a multiplayer server.

Doing what you want is entirely possible, but requires a good knowledge on valve navigation mesh. I would probably make one a day, but don't expect it to come out before 1-2 years lol, I have other projects to work on. So you better make it yourself, the hard work about CNavArea is entirely done, you just have to expose the CNavMesh functions, and build a bridge between my plugin and your.

Last edited by Benoist3012; 09-26-2016 at 15:34.
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 23:02   Re: [L4D2] Nav Mesh
Reply With Quote #10

you can simply edit it in game and after a nav_analyze wouldn't it create a new .nav file outside of the vpk? at the very least you could get the map/nav out of the vpk and then edit it in game.