Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"

Post New Thread Reply   

Passburger
Old 08-17-2013 , 11:00   [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #1

I've had a dedicated LEGIT L4D2 server that was working and updating just fine up until valve switched to SteamCMD, ever since it has been pure hell trying to update. There were always 3 files not willing to update. So I decided to start from scratch and once it's working, get some addons & plugins in there.

I've successfully installed and updated the "vanilla" server files, but after making a new server.cfg from scratch, it just wouldn't connect anymore. I can't find which parameter or line or file is stopping me from connecting. All I get at the very end is:

"exec: couldn't exec console_commands.cfg" (I don't even have such a file)
"Could not establish connection to Steam servers."

Please let me know what files/logs/codes that need to be posted here in order to make my server error easier to single out.
eric0279
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-17-2013 , 12:48   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #2

Hi, check your firewall.
Passburger
Old 08-17-2013 , 14:40   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0279 View Post
I don't know whether you were trying to be funny* (*read "douche-bag") or helpful. Either way, it was among the first things I've checked. I know that I'm not blocking any of the ports that I'm using. Searching the web has led to no useful information, thus my reason for asking for help here.
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 08-17-2013 , 15:13   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #4

There was a L4D2 UPDATE 08/16/13. The latest L4D2 version is new version is now 2.1.2.7 2.0.4.2. See my post (just posted today) for the reat of the story....DBD
Passburger
Old 08-17-2013 , 15:31   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #5

Yeah, I did a clean install of the server yesterday though. Still, I will read you post and see if it helps. Thank you for not "lmgtfy"ing me.
Passburger
Old 09-10-2013 , 17:38   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #6

Someone? Anyone? I'm sure most of you must have had this error at some point?

Last edited by Passburger; 09-10-2013 at 20:32. Reason: big fonts ≠ yelling
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-10-2013 , 18:01   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passburger View Post
Make a file named console_commands.cfg, and leave it blank, or ignore the error.

Quote:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...11&postcount=4

Quote:
I don't know whether you were trying to be funny* (*read "douche-bag") or helpful. Either way, it was among the first things I've checked. I know that I'm not blocking any of the ports that I'm using. Searching the web has led to no useful information, thus my reason for asking for help here.
Then you have not looked far, or haven't tested it with a port checker. Perhaps your ISP is blocking it.

Spoiler

"Yelling" will get you no help and no further in your quest.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 09-10-2013 at 18:02.
Passburger
Old 09-10-2013 , 20:29   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
Make a file named console_commands.cfg, and leave it blank, or ignore the error.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...11&postcount=4

Then you have not looked far, or haven't tested it with a port checker. Perhaps your ISP is blocking it.

"Yelling" will get you no help and no further in your quest.
Thanks for replying.

I had to get someone's attention somehow, besides that wasn't yelling, I'm sorry if you interpreted it as such. No caps= No yell, just bigger font.

I've been able to run the server just fine before steam went SteamCMD, from several computers actually, so that ain't it. Yes I tested my ports just to be sure. My server will run fine as long as I make a fresh and don't apply any mods to it. But there's no fun in un-modded servers.

If my server is totally vanilla, I'll not get "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."

Setting the server's IP to the same as my internal IP let's me connect to Steam's server, but The server won't show up on either Internet nor LAN. Also If I join it "manually", I'll get in there, but hte server won't "start" the map.

Do you have any other suggestions please?

Last edited by Passburger; 09-10-2013 at 21:26.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-10-2013 , 21:26   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #9

Does this occur only when you have sourcemod installed?
or
Does this occur only when additional plugins are installed?
Do you have the correct metamod.vdf & sourcemod.vdf for your game?
Are you running the latest release of Sourcemod & Metamod?
*tip- SM 1.5.1 was just released

If this does occur only after you have modified the vanilla server, then we should look into what stage does the server come into contact with that problem.
XAFAfterShock
Old 09-10-2013 , 23:01   Re: [L4D2] Dedicated server: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers"
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I've had a dedicated LEGIT L4D2 server that was working and updating just fine up until valve switched to SteamCMD, ever since it has been pure hell trying to update. There were always 3 files not willing to update. So I decided to start from scratch and once it's working, get some addons & plugins in there.

I've successfully installed and updated the "vanilla" server files, but after making a new server.cfg from scratch, it just wouldn't connect anymore. I can't find which parameter or line or file is stopping me from connecting. All I get at the very end is:

Please let me know what files/logs/codes that need to be posted here in order to make my server error easier to single out.
I was having the same problems when they switched to steamcmd, after multiple clean installs it finally started working properly and I didn't have to bind any ip or port in my servers command line.

here is my install script and startup script with auto restart from crashes.

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\l4d2 +app_update 222860 validate +quit

Code:
echo off
cls
echo Protecting srcds from crashes...
echo If you want to close srcds and this script, close the srcds window and type Y depending on your language followed by Enter.
title srcds.com Watchdog
:srcds
echo (%time%) srcds started.
start /wait srcds.exe -console -game left4dead2 -nocrashdialog +sv_gametypes coop,realism +fps_max 0 +map c8m1_apartment
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
goto srcds