Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Developing New Web Interface

Post New Thread Reply   

lps
Old 02-06-2015 , 04:07   Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #1

Hello gents,

As part of a personal hobby (running game servers) I've been re-writing the front-end to HLStatsX:CE.

The 'back-end' of the new Web interface is powered by PHP using Laravel and Composer. This represents a complete re-write of the web portion of HLStatsX:CE. Since Laravel is an MVC controller this separates the PHP code from the HTML. This allows for communites to be able to modify the layout to fit their templates easier and seamlessly.

The 'front-end' of the new Web interface utilizes Bootstrap and jQuery to bring the look into the 21st century. This will also allow it to be easily customziable with just some CSS modifications.

I know this software hasn't received much in the way of updates in the last few years but I'd like to see if I can breathe some new life into it. The beautiful part is this new interface requires no modification to the existing table layouts or software. It is a drop-in web replacement.

I have just begun my journey down this path and it is already showing promising results. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The development version is available at https://lps.rocks/. The servers page is about the only thing I have complete. I'm trying to minimize dependencies and optimize code performance.

Thanks guys!
iraqiboy90
Old 02-06-2015 , 20:21   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #2

Be careful man. Suddenly they say that "it's mine" so whatever modification you do will become theirs.... So check with the devs first...
Just saying...
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-06-2015 , 20:31   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #3

I would be interested to see how this turns out.
lps
Old 02-06-2015 , 23:18   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqiboy90 View Post
Be careful man. Suddenly they say that "it's mine" so whatever modification you do will become theirs.... So check with the devs first...
Just saying...
I'm not worried. The code will be released under licenses that prevent commercial profiting from it. Also, there will be zero code from the original web frontend (cause well, honestly it's junk. Nothing aginst the devs it's just outdated and just.. bad). They're is no way they can get their grubby little hands on it without violating a license. I'm writing this to interface with their product. Modifying their existing code could grant them some grounds to retain rights to it. That's not what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFallen View Post
I would be interested to see how this turns out.
Well I've already gotten the player list up, made some navigation changes, cleaned up the templates a bit, made things prettier. https://lps.rocks/statistics/l4d2/players

I hadn't updated my servers which is why they were empty all damn day. Now you can see some real-time data.
lps
Old 02-07-2015 , 02:49   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #5

Some more updates.

https://lps.rocks/statistics/l4d2/players
https://lps.rocks/statistics/l4d2
  • Added disappearing form columns for narrow views. This makes the layout dynamic
  • Added Search Feature for players. Search is about the same as the origional. I'd like to improve the algorythm.
  • Improved pagination, columns are now sortable.
  • Improved second level navigation
  • Added points(skill) change indicators
  • Added various totals in a non-intrusive manner

I have opened a GitHub repo where I will be releasing the source code once I get things to a stable point and have my configs correct. It will be released under a GPL v3.0 license. This requires attribution back to LPS Servers and also requires anyone using or modifying the source code to make that code public.

Please post any feature-requests that you've wanted for HLStatsX:CE that haven't been completed that you might want, or if you find a problem with my code. Keep in mind im actively working on it, so if it breaks, come back later, if it's still broken file a bug report please.

https://github.com/lps-rocks/hlstats...rontend/issues

Last edited by lps; 02-07-2015 at 03:05.
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2015 , 07:21   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #6

Looking good, definitely looks better without either of the frontend graphs to added, Any idea how you're going to implement switching between different ranks say if you were running both l4d and tf servers for example. Overall it's more the backend that needs a dire update.
RaidenEX
Old 02-07-2015 , 08:34   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #7

Hey dude, just joined because I am the owner of an upstart TF2 gaming community and we need something like this.

I was wondering, will this work on Team Fortress 2? If not, I would be willing to provide code to make it work on that, as I do have a GitHub as well as a website to host some stuff on. If you need anything, ask me for my Skype (or you can PM me, whichever) and we can talk about some things.

Thank you! I've known PHP/MySQL for a while, I've just not had the opportunity to get into a new project like this.

Time Factory TF2 | Time Factory Open Source (coming soon)

Last edited by RaidenEX; 02-07-2015 at 08:34.
Send a message via Skype™ to RaidenEX
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2015 , 08:57   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenEX View Post
Hey dude, just joined because I am the owner of an upstart TF2 gaming community and we need something like this.

I was wondering, will this work on Team Fortress 2? If not, I would be willing to provide code to make it work on that, as I do have a GitHub as well as a website to host some stuff on. If you need anything, ask me for my Skype (or you can PM me, whichever) and we can talk about some things.

Thank you! I've known PHP/MySQL for a while, I've just not had the opportunity to get into a new project like this.
The original plugin supports most if not all Source engine games however it hasn't been updated for tf for about a year I think.
RaidenEX
Old 02-07-2015 , 09:03   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFallen View Post
The original plugin supports most if not all Source engine games however it hasn't been updated for tf for about a year I think.
I see.

I'm still willing to offer some code towards the web panel though - if not fixes, improvements too, which is why I want to get into contact with him.

See, the server I used to play and moderate on uses gameME Stats but it costs money, which is why I am so willing to offer a free one, so I am offering my expertise to him.

Time Factory TF2 | Time Factory Open Source (coming soon)
Send a message via Skype™ to RaidenEX
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 02-07-2015 , 10:32   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lps View Post
It will be released under a GPL v3.0 license. This requires attribution back to LPS Servers and also requires anyone using or modifying the source code to make that code public.
That isn't how the GPL works. It puts limits on distribution in that if you are distributing compiled binary files, you must also convey the source code used to build them. When hosting a website, you're not distributing any of that, and not under any such restriction. Perhaps you're getting it mixed up with the AGPL.