Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Overwatch

Post New Thread Reply   

El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2016 , 12:01   [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, I'm the head developer of War3Source:EVO here on AlliedModders.

I've been seriously thinking of modifying the War3Source Engine to create Overwatch for TF2. I strongly feel I can do this, and I'll make it open-source for anyone else whom wants to help make this happen.

I'm going to base some of my changes to TF2 on this article: https://steamcommunity.com/app/440/d...0797996275899/

I plan to change TF2 (first) so that it matches the system Overwatch uses, then I'll modify the War3Source:EVO engine to suit how Overwatch runs. The modifications of the War3Source:EVO engine shouldn't take very much...what will really happen is to create "races" that are based on the characters of overwatch. When someone switches to that race, it will also change their class.

Overall, before I dive into something that may or may not get attention. I want everyone here to give me your thoughts on this process.

P.S. I have tried to resurrect War3Source, but it seems this is a dead. Communities for it seem to not want this, but Overwatch poses a new interest and maybe we can create several servers with it running and it be "free to play"

Last edited by El Diablo War3Evo; 11-26-2016 at 12:06.
theChaosCoder
Old 11-27-2016 , 13:23   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #2

I wonder how characters like D.Va can be implemented in tf2.
And soldiers Ultimate Ability => instant ban lol

Do you plan to make it as close a possible to the Overwatch gameplay/mechanics?
El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 11-27-2016 , 22:00   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theChaosCoder View Post
I wonder how characters like D.Va can be implemented in tf2.
And soldiers Ultimate Ability => instant ban lol

Do you plan to make it as close a possible to the Overwatch gameplay/mechanics?
Unless we have some "Skin artist", I won't be able to recreate the "looks".

D.va
* FUSION CANNONS - just use heavy Canon.
* LIGHT GUN - give heavy the medic rail gun and add tracer effects.
* BOOSTERS - that is easy to add. Although knocking players back via her BOOSTERS maybe difficult.
* DEFENSE MATRIX - yes. Can be done not as well visually, but it will be similar. Easy on rockets, arrows, but demo bombs can not track those with sourcemod.
* SELF-DESTRUCT - have her drop a "bomb" or "yellow present" with a timer to blow up. Special effects possible.

Each race will be lots of work. Some will be very similar while others may have to take lessor skills or effects.

We can give her a female skin too, but snipers do hate skins as they claim they can not head shot them well.

The game mechanics will be the first thing to tackle. I'm sure all (at least most) of the mechanics can be reproduced.

I'm sure it would be as much fun creating it as it would be to play.

Last edited by El Diablo War3Evo; 11-27-2016 at 22:09.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-28-2016 , 08:21   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #4

https://github.com/Pelipoika/The-unf...teabilities.sp

Credits to Pelipoika, this might help you in some places.
Pelipoika
Veteran Member
Old 11-28-2016 , 11:45   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #5

There's alot of Overwatch characters with animations included in the SFM workshop but they don't work in TF2 due to the amount of bones in the models. If someone who knows what they're doing removed some bones to bring the count to the max limit of 128 we could use them.

Last edited by Pelipoika; 11-28-2016 at 11:45.
El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 11-28-2016 , 12:43   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwerewolf View Post
https://github.com/Pelipoika/The-unf...teabilities.sp

Credits to Pelipoika, this might help you in some places.
Nice! Yes some of this code will help.

I wonder how long ago or recent when "OnClientCommandKeyValues" was added to the api...?
Old 11-28-2016 , 12:52   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelipoika View Post
There's alot of Overwatch characters with animations included in the SFM workshop but they don't work in TF2 due to the amount of bones in the models. If someone who knows what they're doing removed some bones to bring the count to the max limit of 128 we could use them.
Yes that would be much help.. I already have a skin system in place with War3Source: Evolution. I could create the race with the skin. I've already have a +ability / +ultimate feature setup for the races along with the ability to use c 1, c 2, c 3, and c 4 combo for activating them without binding keys.

Your tf2items sample code and the new code I see for OnClientCommandKeyValues may prove useful.

If I do use any of your code in it.. I'll include you into credits.

Last edited by El Diablo War3Evo; 11-28-2016 at 12:53.
El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 11-28-2016 , 13:59   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #8

I guess this is what I plan to work on first:

Preparing TF2 for Overwatch game mechanics:

* tf_dropped_weapon_lifetime 0 -- Prevent weapon drops from affecting game play mechanics
* removal of random crits (still have give player crits for different reasons)
* remove domination system as much as possible, including removing player frag scores "so everybody is always playing the objective" passage from https://steamcommunity.com/app/440/d...0797996275899/
* teams are fixed set of 6 players and you will never be thrown onto the enemy team if someone leaves, the game will just go into 'waiting mode' for a new player to join the match. (this will require anyone interested to really go out there and promote this new addon for TF2 to all your friends as it would then be a 12 player requirement and maximum. Anyone else above 12 players are spectators.)
* any other notes you guys want me to do first.

Create Races based on the characters in Overwatch.

notes and links to self:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...&postcount=135
Old 11-29-2016 , 15:37   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #9

Interesting ideas, curious to see if everything works out.

One suggestion is that Overwatch has infinite ammo, so I presume an easy change to add is infinite ammo.
El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 11-29-2016 , 15:39   Re: [TF2] Overwatch
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyJax View Post
Interesting ideas, curious to see if everything works out.

One suggestion is that Overwatch has infinite ammo, so I presume an easy change to add is infinite ammo.
I suggest
[TF2] Advanced Infinite Ammo

With these settings in your server.cfg:

// AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx
// AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx AdvancedInfiniteAmmo.smx
sm_aia_all 1
sm_aia_adminonly 0
sm_aia_bots 1
sm_aia_roundwin 1
sm_aia_waitingforplayers 1
sm_aia_chat 0
sm_aia_log 1
// Sets how to give ammo, 0 = Infinite Clip and Ammo(default behavior), 1 = Infinite Ammo but must still reload clip
sm_aia_ammoonly 1
sm_aia_extrastuff 0

^^ This should replicate the overwatch infinite ammo and require people to reload clips.

I'll have all the other suggestions of other plugins to use with War3Source: Evolution. Plus I'll supply the "races" .. probably in the plugins area which I'll post here when its ready.

Last edited by El Diablo War3Evo; 11-29-2016 at 15:40.