Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

What game server to run?

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-25-2013 , 15:36   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman315 View Post
Good lord man, did you just copypasta that from the wiki? Surely you didn't type it all out. But very nice![/spoiler]
I typed that all out (I can't actually access the wiki from work).
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-25-2013 , 16:14   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
I typed that all out (I can't actually access the wiki from work).
Wow, for you.
And w00t I another person that gets on alliedmodders from the office, but I can't access sourcemod.net. Weird.
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s
Ren3gade
Old 06-25-2013 , 22:31   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #13

Darn.. well erm. Idk what to do then.

To be honest I'm not super familiar with TF2. I am VERY VERY familiar with CS:S, and a little with Garry's Mod and somewhat with CS:GO. But I can learn.

I am just looking to get my community started in the right direction where I can get constant, active traffic/members and get the community growing.

What do you guys suggest that I do?
Ren3gade
Old 06-25-2013 , 22:56   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #14

Also.. keep in mind that my TF2 servers won't be ordinary. I will be hiring a custom coder to add custom content, and I will have fun/modded servers such as Jailbreak, Minigames, Deathrun.. ect ect.
Ren3gade
Old 06-25-2013 , 22:59   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #15

I just looked at game tracker and CS:S has more servers than TF2 does still.

But Garry's Mod only has like 2k which is wayyyy lower. But Gmod is still popular. Hmmm.. that might be a good place to start.
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-25-2013 , 23:04   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren3gade View Post
Darn.. well erm. Idk what to do then.

To be honest I'm not super familiar with TF2. I am VERY VERY familiar with CS:S, and a little with Garry's Mod and somewhat with CS:GO. But I can learn.

I am just looking to get my community started in the right direction where I can get constant, active traffic/members and get the community growing.

What do you guys suggest that I do?
TF2 can be laid back, or intense. Some servers go from everybody actually playing a really intense match, to just playing around. Everybody wants an active community, it's great, but I would start out with deciding if your gonna be a serious or laid back community. Then build from there.

If you want to be a serious community, less plugins, more action.

If you want to be a laid back community, more (STABLE) plugins that can actual work together, less action/more laughs.

Or some kinda mix, that leans one way or the other.

I know that serious players don't really care when laid back players (just derpin' about) join there serious server, it just another kill. However laid back players (usually) hate it when serious players (can't kill enough people fast enough) join their server, it's read as being a dick.

However if you want to be a laid back community I would suggest trying out some of the SM game modes; Prophunt, FF2/Saxton Hale, Huntsman Hell, and some more that I can't remember right now. RTD is pretty much the first thing players type when joining my idle server.

And for a serious server you can have HLStats (is that right I can't remember), other ranking plugins, and that's pretty much it. They really don't need much.

Quote:
I just looked at game tracker and CS:S has more servers than TF2 does still.

But Garry's Mod only has like 2k which is wayyyy lower. But Gmod is still popular. Hmmm.. that might be a good place to start.
GMod is not SM compatible if I am correct. Also try editing your post and adding info to an existing post instead of posting three new comments. It seems like they don't really like post then post then post...
Quote:
Also.. keep in mind that my TF2 servers won't be ordinary. I will be hiring a custom coder to add custom content, and I will have fun/modded servers such as Jailbreak, Minigames, Deathrun.. ect ect.
Too much content can be a bad thing. If you are gonna have a multi-mod server I would suggest using "Ultimate Map Chooser" to switch between game modes (disable all game modes on map change in the server.cfg then have UMC run a cfg for that game mod using "sm plugins unload <gamemode1>.smx :break: sm plugins load <gamemode2>.smx") and keep the server stable.

Last edited by captaindeterprimary; 06-25-2013 at 23:16.
Ren3gade
Old 06-25-2013 , 23:20   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #17

Vman, what game do you suggest that I go with?

and is GMod a very difficult game to setup?
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-26-2013 , 09:29   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Vman, what game do you suggest that I go with?

and is GMod a very difficult game to setup?
I like laid back tf2, but I can still play with some lower level ugc groups and not suck. GMod is a pain to get admins setup, at-least my experience with it has been.

But I am not gonna push you one way or the other. It's up to you.

Last edited by captaindeterprimary; 06-26-2013 at 09:31.
DJ Data
SourceMod Donor
Old 06-26-2013 , 10:47   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #19

I gave deathrun a shot, its not very popular anymore as TF2 doesnt have the right aspects for it.
Trade servers are very popular (as u might see in my signature)
another option is VSH (Versus Saxton Hale) or Freak Fortress 2
Hope it helped.
- Data
ferts of daeth
Old 06-26-2013 , 12:43   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #20

Gmod is a game that has a notorious reputation for having people DDoS you servers. It's one of the main reasons I decided against setting up servers for the game. Maybe you will have a different experience but it's something to consider.

Also, if you do decide to start up in TF2 I suggest not setting up quick play. Quick play is a cancer for a community that isn't already established. While it may be the fastest way to get people to play on your servers, the quality of player is not those you want.

If you're into jailbreak and deathrun and mini game type server CS:GO or TF2 is the best way to go. People who had big jailbreak groups in C:SS have just started moving over to those games and have been very successful.