Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Is there a way to test ping before you make a purchase for vps?

Post New Thread Reply   

PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2022 , 23:36   Re: Is there a way to test ping before you make a purchase for vps?
Reply With Quote #11

Hello there!

Just jumping into the conversation to make sure everyone is clear on what ping is. In a wired society learning how the wire works is valuable. With ping geography matters, connectivity matters, routing matters, and server performance does not.

Here's an excerpt from techterms.com:

A ping is a signal sent to a host that requests a response. It serves two primary purposes: 1) to check if the host is available and 2) to measure how long the response takes.

The ping itself consists of a single packet (often 32 or 56 bytes) that contains an "echo" request. The host, if available, responds with a single packet as a reply. The ping time, measured in milliseconds, is the round trip time for the packet to reach the host and for the response to return to the sender.

While Internet connection speeds can affect pings, ping response time is often directly related to the physical distance between the source and destination systems. Therefore, a fast connection between New York and Tokyo will likely have a longer ping than a slow connection between New York and Philadelphia. Network congestion may slow down pings, which is why pings are often used for troubleshooting.

True stories from my server:
Player: Hey owner, fix your server!
Me: What's wrong?
Player: Your ping is horrible!
Me: My ping is 20. Your ping is over 600. I'm located in the USA. Where are you connecting from?
Player: Kyrgyzstan.
Me: Your ping is bad because the connection distance is too far. Find a server close to you to play on.
Player: There aren't any good servers here.
Me: sigh...

Player2: Laaaaaag!
Me: Nobody else is lagging. Are you connected via wifi?
Player2: Yes, what does that have to do with anything?
Me: wifi isn't a very reliable connection for gaming and is more susceptible to interference.
Player2: Whatever dude. Fix your server.
Me: sigh...
Mr. Man
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2022 , 23:37   Re: Is there a way to test ping before you make a purchase for vps?
Reply With Quote #12

Too bad there are no CDN solutions for game servers eh? Well, really few at our disposal on a budget: https://www.keycdn.com/blog/cdn-for-...20the%20origin.

Last edited by Mr. Man; 03-10-2022 at 23:38.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-11-2022 , 23:45   Re: Is there a way to test ping before you make a purchase for vps?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Too bad there are no CDN solutions for game servers eh? Well, really few at our disposal on a budget: https://www.keycdn.com/blog/cdn-for-...20the%20origin.
As far as I can tell, a CDN only deals with static data (i.e. downloads) and this game is so old and so small that it's not really a problem if you have a fast download server set up.
Old 03-14-2022 , 19:06   Re: Is there a way to test ping before you make a purchase for vps?
Reply With Quote #14

This is what I personally use to find servers in my area.
https://www.serverhunter.com