Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard

Post New Thread Reply   

gtjwkq
Old 03-04-2009 , 20:17   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #21

As a player, I really don't like this mod, mostly because it kicks. Kicking is unforgiving and too harsh for such a penalty. I'd like to see it being able to mute for a period of time, which is a lot more appropriate punishment for this kind of infraction.

I don't consider myself a spammer, so I don't appreciate being kicked for regular vocalizing, which is part of the game. I don't vocalize stupid stuff like "pills here" or screams, but I do the occasional "witch" and "tank" when there is one.

I also say "hurry up" a lot because ppl need to be hurried up when they're lagging behind.

Last time I played, I got the "you reached the limit" warning, so I decided not to say anything, but got kicked anyway a few seconds later.

I agree spammers need to be punished, but this mod needs a lot of fine tuning, and kicking doesn't seem fair. I'll take a permanent mute anyday over being kicked.
death_hawk
Old 03-08-2009 , 21:50   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #22

Great plugin in theory, but it doesn't quite work as advertised.

I can spam all day (within the limits of what it allows me to) but if I reach the limit and don't say anything it kicks me after I (for example) pick up a molotov.

Is there a way to remove the time restrction between spams?
Optimally I'd like to see something like "If there's X calls within X seconds, ban Player" instead of restricting the number of calls.

Most who spam send in a bucket within a short amount of time.
djromero
Old 03-09-2009 , 14:27   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Optimally I'd like to see something like "If there's X calls within X seconds, ban Player" instead of restricting the number of calls.
This plugin does exactly that, by default it allows 10 each 3 seconds.

death_hawk
Old 03-09-2009 , 18:20   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #24

I can't get it to work like that.

I sat in my test server spamming vocalize and it seems to count strangely.

Even after doing a few of the radial calls (like someone would do in a normal game) I was eventually banned in the level.

Either that or I goofed on config. I can't see that though, as I'm using the default values.

AcidTester has the same issues I do apparantly.
base64
Old 03-21-2009 , 11:49   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #25

Nice!

Is it possible to add a feature that allows admin to spam without delay?
robochief
Old 05-10-2009 , 16:44   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #26

Did anyone have any improvement using this plug-in? According to some posts, using default values wouldn't be the best experience...
Skorpion1976
Veteran Member
Old 06-30-2009 , 09:28   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #27

It works absolutely great. very good plugin! I set up 2 8vs8 servers last week and the more public they got the more crazy people joined just spamming with "tt-t-t-t-t-taaank t-t-t-t-t-t-taaank taank".
I was so reliefed seeing that this plugin changes that

As the plugin works from map start to map end, I use following values:

sm_vocalize_guard_vlimit 20
sm_vocalize_guard_vdelay 10
sm_vocalize_guard_bantime 5

meaning 20 times you are able to "spam" into the game on 1 map.
I think that is enough as there are 8 people who can (ab)use the vocalize stuff. on 4vs4 i would reduce delay to 5 seconds.

thanks for the plugin !!!
BlackOpsTroLL
Old 07-03-2009 , 17:53   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #28

I was enjoying the plugin on my server but it didn't quite act as described, worst off banning people when the ban was turned off. So I went ahead and modified it for my use. Figured I'd share.

What I did was remove the whole ban thing and admin immunity, and made it fully configurable.

sm_vocalize_guard_vtime is the time frame which a person can spam,

sm_vocalize_guard_vlimit is the # of time they can spam in that time frame,

sm_vocalize_guard_vdelay is the time, if those limits are gone over, that the person cannot use vocalize.

Code:
sm_vocalize_guard_enabled        1
sm_vocalize_guard_vdelay         8
sm_vocalize_guard_vlimit         3
sm_vocalize_guard_vtime          5
So what I have for the defaults: a person can use vocalize 3 times within 5 seconds, if he goes over, he cant vocalize for 8 seconds.

Its not perfect, this is my first time messing with a plugin (good think I remember some of my C++). Thanks for the teddyruxpin original plugin.
Attached Files
File Type: smx vocal_tblock.smx (3.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (vocal_tblock.sp - 595 views - 4.5 KB)
The Nemesis
Old 11-28-2009 , 14:49   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #29

not working for me

Code:
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM] Native "PrintToChat" reported: Client index 0 is invalid
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "vocal_block.smx":
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM]   [0]  Line 159, /home/groups/alliedmodders/forums/files/3/5/1/5/2/35725.attach::Command_CallVocal()
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM] Native "PrintToChat" reported: Client index 0 is invalid
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "vocal_block.smx":
L 11/28/2009 - 14:48:05: [SM]   [0]  Line 159, /home/groups/alliedmodders/forums/files/3/5/1/5/2/35725.attach::Command_CallVocal()
cigs
Old 11-28-2009 , 15:20   Re: [L4D] Vocalize Spam Guard
Reply With Quote #30

Damn, I was hoping this plugin would be a little different. I'm ok with vocalizations used many times, just not in a spam kind of way. Only if it's in good fun. I was looking more for a plugin that just allows ALL vocalize commands to be used once ever 5 seconds. That should stop them. If not, if they say any SpecialInfectedWarn vocalize 10 times in 1 minute, they're kicked out.

Simple and effective.

Last edited by cigs; 11-28-2009 at 15:29.