Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?

Post New Thread Reply   

libertysyclone
Old 04-03-2009 , 17:22   Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #1

Ok so I have offered my server to be used for a l4d tournament (www.evga.com/l4d) and there are calculators out there for this but I wanted some sound advice on how many i could logically do.

my server is a HP proliant DL 585 with:
4x 2.2ghz dual core opty's (840's)
16gb of Ram
Server 08 x64

its at a colo with a backbone connection and I am on a pay by use program so bandwidth isnt a huge constraint...yet

So my question, how many servers can I get on my server without really killing performance?

how many IPs would be best?

Should I have them connect my second NIC for this as well?

any other suggestions would be great.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2009 , 19:15   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #2

L4D is a Source game so posting in the Source server section would be better. Also, posting in the Steam Forums would be best (They have a forums specifically for this game).
Old 04-03-2009 , 20:21   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #3

Sorry for the wrong section and thanks for the advice.
danli
Old 04-08-2009 , 07:52   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #4

This isn't the wrong section for ur post, so no apology needed. I'm running 4 half life servers and would love to have an answer to your question. I'm running several new amx plugins and two meta mod plugins this weekend as a party-type deal to try to increase players and excitement for an old game.

I darn sure wouldn't waste my time on the steam forum or in any L4d forum for your kind of question. There's nothing but a bunch of kiddies over there. This is a very technical question. You should find the scrds forum...I used to use it but forget where it is. They got experts over there for this kind of stuff.

But if you get an answer, come back here and let us know
DarkGod
SourceMod DarkCrab
Old 04-08-2009 , 07:57   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #5

There is a board for SRCDS support just over this one.
Veteran Member
Old 04-08-2009 , 08:17   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danli View Post
This isn't the wrong section for ur post, so no apology needed. I'm running 4 half life servers and would love to have an answer to your question. I'm running several new amx plugins and two meta mod plugins this weekend as a party-type deal to try to increase players and excitement for an old game.

I darn sure wouldn't waste my time on the steam forum or in any L4d forum for your kind of question. There's nothing but a bunch of kiddies over there. This is a very technical question. You should find the scrds forum...I used to use it but forget where it is. They got experts over there for this kind of stuff.

But if you get an answer, come back here and let us know

The answer will be different for HL1 games.
Old 04-08-2009 , 20:40   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #7

one thing u need is to have a really good down speed 20mb+
Veteran Member
Old 04-08-2009 , 21:42   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalavida View Post
one thing u need is to have a really good down speed 20mb+
BUT, upload is always lower and thus will be much more of a concern than download.
Old 04-09-2009 , 16:23   Re: Advice on my server on how many slots/ bandwidth needed for next weekend?
Reply With Quote #9

Upload is more important than download. As everything is uploaded to the clients. Also in my sig (s.m.101) has a rate calculator.

I think i might stickie that, as i say it almost everytime.