Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files

Post New Thread Reply   

PartialCloning
Old 12-03-2015 , 17:03   [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #1

Is it possible to have steamcmd use my csgo game files, verify them and only download required files instead of downloading all game files again?
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2015 , 17:37   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #2

don't validate? you sould... but where did these files come from.. were they installed with steamcmd at one point before?
PartialCloning
Old 12-03-2015 , 17:42   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #3

They are my CSGO game files. From the CSGO game folder. I know they don't contain everything required to run a server, but they contain the majority of the 7GB that you would have to download through steamcmd.
PartialCloning
Old 12-29-2015 , 13:44   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #4

Bump!

For clarification encase my question was not clear enough: I have CSGO installed. I would like to run a local CSGO server. Would it be possible for me to copy over my CSGO game files to the steamcmd folder so that steamcmd does not redownload files that I already have? If so, where do I copy over the files? And would steamcmd automatically detect that the files are already present?
akcaliberg
Old 05-21-2018 , 10:08   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #5

Bump.

This is ridiculous. Steam is downloading the files I already have. I have copied everything inside the "Counter-Strike Global Offensive" folder to "downloading/740". Deleted the .acf and .patch files. Tried executing "app_update 740 validate" and "app_update 740" both seperately. It doesn't recognize the existing files, instead overwrites them.

Does anyone know how the procedure Steam follows to verify app files is like? How does it know what to download and what not to?
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 05-21-2018 , 10:26   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #6

Validate will always download everything again. If app_update 740 is also downloading everything, that should tell you that the client files aren't the server files.

What are you trying to accomplish here? What is the problem with downloading all the server files? If we knew what you were trying accomplish, perhaps we could help you find a solution that works.
akcaliberg
Old 05-21-2018 , 13:02   Re: [CSGO] Installing server through SteamCMD using CSGO game files
Reply With Quote #7

I didn't want to download entire 15 GB since I have a very poor internet connection at the moment.

Downloaded it anyway. But I realized it downloaded the files into the folder I have specified with force_install_dir. I was expecting it to download the files into "force_install_dir/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta - Dedicated Server".

So if anyone else is trying to accomplish this, try doing the following steps:

1. Create a folder for the server files, such as: "C:\CSGO_Server"

2. Copy everthing in your CS:GO game folder into the folder you have created for the server. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\* -> C:\CSGO_Server\)

3. Start steamcmd.exe and enter the commands below:

Code:
force_install_dir "C:\CSGO_Server"
login anonymous
app_update 740
4. Hope it works.

This is not tested. I just think that this is the way it should work.

Last edited by akcaliberg; 05-21-2018 at 13:02.