Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 02-12-2008 , 21:29   Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

Hello everybody, my friend would like to recall/know what the phenomenon is called when "all wires/circuits are within such a small vicinity that power jumps between the wires/circuits which offsets functionality."

So what is this phenomenon called? Please keep this serious and civil discussion because I'm trying to help him get this done and I don't need stupid humor; please help me/him by letting us know what that phenomenon is.

Thank you,

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!

Last edited by slmclarengt; 02-12-2008 at 21:51.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 02-12-2008 , 22:32   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

Quantum Tunneling

You're welcome.

Last edited by TheNewt; 02-12-2008 at 22:35.
BAILOPAN
Old 02-13-2008 , 07:52   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

I think that's something different.
Donor
Old 02-13-2008 , 12:39   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

I think your right, now that I'm reading into it a bit more. I had this discussion with some people months ago, and I thought I remembered them calling it Quantum Tunneling.

I'm gonna read around a bit more to find out...
"Jump Phenomena"
This is gonna bug me for a while, but do a bit of searching under google for that term, I read about a second level filter system having problems with a "Jump Phenomena" where the cycles would become to fast and become chaotic and jump to other places and offsetting the output.

ARGGHGHG hi
Basic-Master
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2008 , 12:48   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

bacon
Send a message via ICQ to Basic-Master Send a message via MSN to Basic-Master
Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 02-13-2008 , 12:51   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

No No, its all about the pork Architecture.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
[ --<-@ ] Black Rose
ANNIHILATED
Old 02-13-2008 , 15:20   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

AMD sucks.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 02-13-2008 , 15:23   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

Vacuums suck.
Pro Patria Finland
Old 02-13-2008 , 16:50   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

I believe it's the same thing that happens in RJ-45 cables for instance. Signals from the other cable "leak" to the other cable because of electromagnetic currents in the leads.

Don't know the name in english, but if you know anything about electricity, you should get the above text.
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2008 , 18:43   Re: Phenomenon in Microprocessors/architecture question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ --<-@ ] Black Rose View Post
AMD sucks.
Hmm that means Intel must suck even more seeing that they cannot even develop their own technology. In case You [Black Rose] clearly weren't aware but Intel clearly needed to steal technology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Dr. Gurindar S. Sohi, chair of the Computer Science department.

I am already in an elaborate discussion about this at Eggxpert but I could probably try to converse here too if anyone/everyone would care to learn what's going on with Intel.

The gist of it: In 1998, Dr. Sohi developed a Parallel Computing Technology at University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2001 Intel and UWM were in contact and UWM offered to sell Intel the rights to this newly developed technology but Intel refuted the offer leaving UWM wondering what they were thinking. So UWM continued offering throughout the year but Intel still refuted. UWM then presumed Intel would not use the technology for good reason (patent reasons), but then in 2006 Intel released the Core 2 architecture and the Core 2 Duo line of products. UWM researched this processor and sure enough, they found Intel had directly violated their "Table Based Data Speculation Circuit for Parallel Processing Computer." and since have been formulating a formal lawsuit against Intel. So as of recently, UWM has opened a formal litigation against Intel for infringing their patent. Intel has already offered UWM $250 million in damages, however UWM knows that would not be a fair offer so they refused it. UWM has a very colorful history of winning lawsuits very well so chances are, UWM will get a large sum of money from them.

* Note: this technology increased Intel's Architecture efficiency and speeds by ~40% which means without it, the Intel processors to this day would be 40% worse.

I would put more information but we'll see if anyone is interested still in this, then I may add more information.

So let's do our homework next time before we make such comments. (--> Black Rose)

Slmclarengt

Sources: http://www.secinvestor.com/PermaLink...681e254f5.aspx
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...it-patent.html
http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9866866-37.html

Heck, if you want more information, just search Google for anything with "Intel sued" or "Intel Wisconsin"

P.S. Also, if anyone has the phenomena I'm still wanting to know about the exact name if there is one.

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Closed Thread