Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Tf2 SourceCode?

Post New Thread Reply   

KoRMaK
Old 08-26-2008 , 22:33   Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #1

Lets say I wanted to modify the Engineer's sentry gun code via metamod:source. I searched through the orange box sdk source code for instances of the words engineer and sentry gun, and none of the results seemed like they were specifically TF2 related. So, i'm assuimg that valve has not given the community the source files specifically for TF2; thus we can't see what functions compose what classes, and more specifically, which functions are virtual. Given that, how do we figure out which functions we can hook?

Links to tutorials and personal expieriences would be great (sorry if this is a RTFM situation, but i couldnt find anything on google)
KoRMaK
Old 08-28-2008 , 22:20   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #2

I've started dissasembling DLLs and learning how to sigscan. The way I understand it is that, in order to get a vtable I need an instance of an object. But what voogru does here http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=52579 and the list available at http://wiki.alliedmods.net/index.php...list_(SourceMM) Is leaving me confused.

Did they create an instance, and then go through its vtable? If so, how did they find out what type of instance to make? And how did they go through it and dump it into a file?

I noticed that IDA uses idc files and that the sourcemod source has a idc for linux. Im using windows msvc++ 2005, and when i run the script it writes nothing useful. How did they generate the list at the above mentioned wiki?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by KoRMaK; 08-28-2008 at 22:58.
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2008 , 10:23   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #3

I believe the list is generated with an idc script from the linux decompile.

It is possible to step through the vtable in Linux and print the symbol names, but I don't know that anyone has actually done that.
KoRMaK
Old 08-29-2008 , 14:24   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #4

step through as in debugging at runtime?
KoRMaK
Old 08-29-2008 , 16:55   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #5

I did a google search for some terms that I found from the decompile of the tf2 dll and i found this website http://www.inxbus.net/hldoc/d7/dec/c...rygun.html#a19

If you scroll to the bottom through all the broken korean symbols, you'll notice links to tf_obj_sentrygun.cpp

If you look at it, its the cpp file with comments. I'm not sure if its TF2, i noticed it uses the keyword plasma, which i can't find in my linux decompile, but maybe thats just my ignorance. So in any case, i pose 2 questions; 1) is this a legit source for TF2?, and if it is legit 2) How the hell did they get the source to TF2?
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2008 , 17:21   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #6

It's most likely from the stolen HL2 source code. Since that was in 2003 (I think?) that code is very outdated and probably has very little relationship to the current code used in the game.
KoRMaK
Old 08-30-2008 , 06:02   Re: Tf2 SourceCode?
Reply With Quote #7

i thought that i recalled the source code being leaked, but then thought that it happened with some other game like gta. o well, thanks for the input.

does anyone else have any suggestions?