Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CS:GO] var server problem

Post New Thread Reply   

AKAYEE
Old 08-11-2020 , 11:11   [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #1

Hi.

I want to create a cs go minigames server and came across one problem. The server var is acting really weird. It jumps from 0 to 2 all the time and sometimes even to 5. I have every plugin, server cfg etc. configured and the server's var behaves like that. I tried doing the other thing and disabled all the plugins and even deleted all the commands in server.cfg but it still behaves like that. The server's 1st core is running at around 30% when I'm alone on the server and there is no 100% usage on any core or ram. I have no clue what is happening.

For the specs i have:

Intel Xeon E5 2,2 GHz 2 cores
4 GB of ram
and 50GB of ssd memory

What's more interesting like 5 days ago there was no problem with var and I am now wondering what happened.

I know these are not the best specs but I just want a small 64 tickrate server with 24-32 players. Any settings or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AKAYEE; 08-11-2020 at 11:13.
sphinx
Old 08-11-2020 , 11:38   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #2

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=326606
AKAYEE
Old 08-11-2020 , 14:33   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #3

@sphinx, I followed the tutorial you've sent me to but I can't manage to install tuned on my debian system because one package cant be installed, reason being package problems. When I run tuned without this package it doesnt seem to affect the performance at all and the var still stays high.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-11-2020 , 16:33   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #4

Same as this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=326578
Your server's CPU is not nearly enough to handle what you are asking, the results you are seeing is what will happen. Using tuned will certainly help but it will still be high with that amount of slots.

Simply running:
Code:
apt install tuned -y && tuned-adm profile latency-performance
If you have issues with just that, then post your Distro version and the output error you receive.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 08-11-2020 at 16:33.
AKAYEE
Old 08-11-2020 , 21:16   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
Same as this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=326578
Your server's CPU is not nearly enough to handle what you are asking, the results you are seeing is what will happen. Using tuned will certainly help but it will still be high with that amount of slots.

Simply running:
Code:
apt install tuned -y && tuned-adm profile latency-performance
If you have issues with just that, then post your Distro version and the output error you receive.
Okay, I managed to install tuned on my server and got it working. Buuut... my var is still unstable. I'm not going to run a whole lot of servers on this vps, i need only one, will it really be impossible to run a normal 64 tickrate server without var jumping around? The var is like that since I think.. last update, before it was normal, and my cpu usage is like 30 on one core and 0 on the other soo?
[email protected]
Old 08-11-2020 , 22:20   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #6

add to crontab somting like this

use yours path to directory

*/1 * * * * renice -20 `cat /home/csgo1/csgo/csgo.pid` >/dev/null 2>&1

to start line

-pidfile csgo.pid

maybe will help. ;}

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-11-2020 at 22:23.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-11-2020 , 23:03   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
add to crontab somting like this

use yours path to directory

*/1 * * * * renice -20 `cat /home/csgo1/csgo/csgo.pid` >/dev/null 2>&1

to start line

-pidfile csgo.pid

maybe will help. ;}
No, most certainly do not listen to this advice.
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-12-2020 , 03:02   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAYEE View Post
Okay, I managed to install tuned on my server and got it working. Buuut... my var is still unstable. I'm not going to run a whole lot of servers on this vps, i need only one, will it really be impossible to run a normal 64 tickrate server without var jumping around? The var is like that since I think.. last update, before it was normal, and my cpu usage is like 30 on one core and 0 on the other soo?
VPS is never recommended! =)

Dedicated Server is always recommended(depends on budget + which CPU)
AKAYEE
Old 08-12-2020 , 08:02   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #9

sooo, from what you're all saying i won't be able to host a normal server on a vps like that yeah? there is just no way? i'm short of money so that is the only reason i chose vps :/
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-12-2020 , 14:12   Re: [CS:GO] var server problem
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAYEE View Post
sooo, from what you're all saying i won't be able to host a normal server on a vps like that yeah? there is just no way? i'm short of money so that is the only reason i chose vps :/
You will be able to run a server, but it will run poorly and the results you are getting are the cause of it. You would have better performance from a VPS like AWS, Vultr, or some other provider then the one you have currently. Other providers now typically have high frequency servers that would fit the bill and give you a much better experience then what you are getting now. I don't know your location that you need but searching around you should be able to find something reasonable. If you need a VPS for a specific reason such as running other resources like a webpage, that will hinder performance as well, so keep that in mind. Should you really not need a VPS you may look into just having the game hosted itself which will save on cost.