Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

OciXCrom's Admin Chat - 2021 UPDATE!

Post New Thread Reply   

HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 10-02-2015 , 13:48   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #11

I don't know if it will be accepted or not, and I am not talking about this plugin especially, I'm talking in general.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 10-02-2015 , 13:58   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I don't know if it will be accepted or not, and I am not talking about this plugin especially, I'm talking in general.
Sure, and definitely it was a good point to come up now, he says is planing to make more originals plugins modifications, then he could just work straight at AMX MOD X official repository with pull requests, or simply to be accepted as a official developer

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-02-2015 at 14:00.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 10-03-2015 , 07:34   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by addons_zz View Post
Hi, i have this idea about a annoying thing about the DHUD and HUD, they dont show up at the client's console, so if i could not read all the message, i lost i forever, then I added one line of code to you code to print it at console too.

If you feel the same bothering, could you update the plugin to the others?
Totally forgot about that. Added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle
No, just check AMXX_VERSION_NUM if lower than 1.8.3. If so include the inc file, else do nothing.
I actually searched for something like that, but coulnd't find anything. Added now, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle
I did not read your code(so remember this, I am not talking about the modifications you made), but I can tell you it's a bad ideea to just take a default amxx plugin, edit and release it. You should instead make a pull request on github with your changes. This is because AMXX is updated from time to time and plugins are likely updated. This means that your plugin will be stuck in time and probably not compatible or missing new amxx version features. Take this as an example: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=27855
Well, I didn't actually edit and release it. I totally rewrote it and made a brand new one with a lot of new options. I'm not familiar with what GitHub is or how it works, but I'll take a look later. Although AMXX is updated, I personally haven't seen any major changes to the default plugins so far, especially this one. Also, the thing with a plugin being stuck probably won't affect only this one, so it's more of a "global" issue. I doubt that they will implement something better than this, and if they do, I will probably update my plugin with more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addons_zz
Of course, was good too publish it here, so you and whoever will decide to accept the pull request, could see the modifications acceptance by the community. Hence, to be more precise, you could add a poll to this thread, asking if this is a AMX must default plugin. In my opinion it is.
All default plugins can use a refreshment. In my opinion the current codes can be written in much more better ways, and this is example of such a thing. It probably isn't the best way of coding it, but I'm sure that it's better than the default one. I'm expecting some advice for improving my code, if needed.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 10-03-2015 at 07:36.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 10-03-2015 , 11:25   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
Well, I didn't actually edit and release it. I totally rewrote it and made a brand new one with a lot of new options. I'm not familiar with what GitHub is or how it works, but I'll take a look later. Although AMXX is updated, I personally haven't seen any major changes to the default plugins so far, especially this one. Also, the thing with a plugin being stuck probably won't affect only this one, so it's more of a "global" issue. I doubt that they will implement something better than this, and if they do, I will probably update my plugin with more options.

All default plugins can use a refreshment. In my opinion the current codes can be written in much more better ways, and this is example of such a thing. It probably isn't the best way of coding it, but I'm sure that it's better than the default one. I'm expecting some advice for improving my code, if needed.
I could not describe some step's detail very well, but its only a matter of google the step itself, to get it fully described.

0) Learn what is Version Control.

1) Its easy, even if you are not familiar with git. There is interface super awesome to use it, it is SmartGit, and is available to Windows, Linux and Mac. Install it.

1) Go to your Github webpage, log in to your github account, go to https://github.com/alliedmodders/amxmodx repository, Fork it to you account clicking at 'Fork' button.

2) Then go to 'Smartgit' program and clone you forked amxmodx, at some folder at you computer with the repository address:
Quote:
https://github.com/yourgithubaccountname/amxmodx.git
3) After that, you will have the amxmodx code at your computer, then find the original 'adminchat.sma' and update it with you 'adminchat.sma'.

4) Then, go to 'Smargit', select the adminchat.sma, click at 'Commit' button and describe your changes at the code. It is good to link the plugin release alliedmodders' forum page, to them to see the community response.

5) Then click 'Commit' at the commit window. Then click 'Push' button at 'Smartgit' interface.

6) Get to know what is a git branch.

7) Get to know what is a pull request.

8) Follow the pull request steps.

9) Waits the AMX MOD X team, review your code changes and accept it or reject then. (if reject, probably they will tell you why)

10) To master git, see:
Quote:
Semantic Versioning.

Git branching and release management strategy Obs, 'Smartgit' has the gitflow plugin built-in.

About Conflicts.

https://git-scm.com/doc Fits too, for those who don't like user interfaces.

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-03-2015 at 11:46.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 10-03-2015 , 14:03   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #15

Well, that looks complicated. Maybe I'll try and see how it actually works these days, but I'll probably wait a bit more, since I'm planning to add more options to the plugin and if possible make some improvements. Some of the things I have in mind are a command for messaging a specific team (amx_teamsay), an option to change the default message color (for example use grey instead of team color) and more. I'm also expecting suggestions for adding some new things to it, so feel free to write here if you need something or you simply have a good idea.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 10-03-2015 at 14:04.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2015 , 15:50   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Well, that looks complicated. Maybe I'll try and see how it actually works these days, but I'll probably wait a bit more, since I'm planning to add more options to the plugin and if possible make some improvements.
Don't worry, this is just bureaucratic, but really necessary steps. It seems complicated but is just a bunch of mouse clicks and some typing.

Quote:
Some of the things I have in mind are a command for messaging a specific team (amx_teamsay), an option to change the default message color (for example use grey instead of team color) and more. I'm also expecting suggestions for adding some new things to it, so feel free to write here if you need something or you simply have a good idea.
As it will keep you code concise and very maintainable, just go ahead. To keep you code concise and very maintainable is a feature which is highly appreciated nowadays. See about software engineering:
The principle of modularity is a specialization of the principle of separation of concerns.
The principle of consistency is a recognition of the fact that it is easier to do things in a familiar context.
The principle of generality is closely related to the principle of anticipation of change.
http://www.d.umn.edu/~gshute/softeng/principles.html

If you changes are not concise, I recommend you to elaborate another plugin to do such new features. As it will keep you code concise and very maintainable.

For example, some days before, I saw you adminchat throwing a exception at my server console. After that I enabled debug mode, and I am waiting to see it again. I think the exception became afraid of to get caught and run away, but I will to keep seeking it. I won't let it run away so easy.

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-05-2015 at 16:16.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2015 , 17:24   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #17

I'm not planning to make any major changes that will make the plugin harder to work with, if that's what you're trying to tell me. I noticed some minor bugs these few days and I'm currently running a beta version of it in a server, so I can get reports of other problems as well. I already implemented some new options, and I'll probably release a final version soon.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 10-05-2015 at 17:25.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2015 , 20:00   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
I'm not planning to make any major changes that will make the plugin harder to work with, if that's what you're trying to tell me.
I'm talking about, for example, introduce changes/features beyond adminchat scope, like features applicable to normal players at adminchat plugin, change theirs color chat. Because, that is not the adminchat scope, admin chat should stay for admins. If someone disagrees with that, what I have on my behalf is the software engineering. Hence you problem is not with me, but with software engineering techniques.

Last edited by addons_zz; 10-05-2015 at 20:03.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2015 , 20:03   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #19

Yes, you're totally right. I'm not going to do such things, or at least not with this plugin. I'm sticking to its name - admin chat, so admin stuff only.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 10-05-2015 at 20:04.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2015 , 20:22   Re: OciXCrom's Admin Chat
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Yes, you're totally right. I'm not going to do such things, or at least not with this plugin. I'm sticking to its name - admin chat, so admin stuff only.
Hence, I am so happy to see someone else doing goods things as you then. Thank you very much for you good contribution to open source. Keep the good work