Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Admin Plugins?

Post New Thread Reply   

Blackglade
Old 09-20-2013 , 11:53   Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #1

So while running the new sourcebans, i noticed that nothing was being written onto my admin.cfg or admin_simple.ini.

Does this mean that the new sourcebans uses an SQL Admin setup and just pulls admins for the sourcebans database?
lyric
Veteran Member
Old 09-20-2013 , 12:15   Re: Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #2

i thougth thats how it always worked
Old 09-20-2013 , 12:54   Re: Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
i thougth thats how it always worked
I assumed it wrote down the information in admin.cfg and the groups in admin_groups.cfg. Does this mean i don't need the admin-flatfile.smx file anymore?
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 09-21-2013 , 02:49   Re: Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #4

You never needed admin-flatfile.smx when using sourcebans.

One of the first iterations of sourcebans (1.x) attempted to download and store admins.cfg and admin_groups.cfg so, in the case of a disconnect, it would still assign proper access rights. I'm not certain if Tsunami has edited this functionality, and if he has, I don't know how.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
Walliski
Old 09-28-2013 , 11:40   Re: Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #5

I have a faint memory of reading that Sourcebans will in the 2+ versions use parts of the integrated Sourcemod SQL bans system, which means that the admins and stuff will be cached somehow in another file than admin.cfg, and therefor not be required to write in them... But cant seem to find the source of this information now.
DJ Tsunami
DJ Post Spammer
Old 09-28-2013 , 12:44   Re: Admin Plugins?
Reply With Quote #6

You're somewhat right Here's the full explanation:

SourceMod has an in-memory admin cache, which is only cleared when sm_reloadadmins (DumpAdminCache) is called, and of course when the server is restarted.

SourceBans 1 only writes to admins.cfg and admin_groups.cfg for when your database is down during either of these scenarios. admin-flatfile.smx is needed to read these files. This is an optional feature that can be disabled with the BackupConfigs option in sourcebans.cfg.

SourceBans 2's admin plugin is literally admin-sql-threaded.smx refactored for SourceBans, and does not (yet?) have this feature. I don't see the need for it at the moment, because this plugin fetches permissions every time an admin reconnects*, so there is rarely a need to call sm_reloadadmins. And if your database happens to be down while restarting the server, just wait for it to come back up and run sm_reloadadmins manually.

* This also saves us from having to implement admin rehashing in the web panel (which slowed down editing a lot), since an admin can just wait for a mapchange or reconnect manually to receive their new permissions.

Last edited by DJ Tsunami; 09-28-2013 at 12:44.