Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware

Post New Thread Reply   

tousif
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-19-2015 , 07:22   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
so I'm back Microsoft Security essential which is enough for me, a basic protection, considering I know what I'm doing and don't download/open fishy things. Also, MSE is quite light.
yea, i too use microsoft security essential.
ANTICHRISTUS
kingdom of weird stuff
Old 06-19-2015 , 12:49   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I hear Google can get you a bunch of answers to your question.
Google results are huge, useful for small quetions like what's the "daemontools' SPTD" thingy, but totally useless about detailed topics. I know, a lot of persons may disagree, see Google as an omniscient god, etc.. But that's wrong !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard_87 View Post
Since most members here are very knowledgeable in computer areas.
There are a lot of similar topics here, I'm sorry but I'm lazy to search for them or for my old posts, if you really appreciate my logical ways/opinion, here are some keywords: french+forum, *virus*, floppy, caspersky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
On topic: I don't use any antivirus software on my windows machines
I had such a wrong behaviour because of Avast! V5 and V6.
Quote:
- Installing adblocking software on all web browsers
- Not installing the Java Virtual Machine (though this may be too extreme)
- Running questionable/untrusted programs in a virtual machine
1. AdBlock, PeerBlock, MyWot and even a floppy disk.. May help, but can't really make an antivirus job.
3. God, I remember when I infected expressly a virtual OS to study the Zpharaoh's behaviour (a virus), guess what.. All partitions were shared via a virtual network.. Did a false manipulation... The main OS got infected.. Avast! 4.8 was overflowed by deleting all its newly created metastasises.
But I learned something, you may scan an infected OS from another safe OS (different partition/HDD).
Quote:
The best antivirus is your brain. Avoid visiting questionable sites, avoid downloading questionable files, and you should never have to run an antivirus scan.
This is the first good behaviour, but you need to scan sometimes. Updates may discover some old sleeping malwares.
Quote:
From my experience, antivirus programs just hog a lot of system resources
"Some" of them, while being totally useless.
Quote:
and never find anything on my system
Some antiviruses need some time (updates) other are clearly ignoring a lot of viruses(1)
Quote:
so that tells me 2 things: (A) my system is either perfectly clean or (B) if any malware does exist on my system, it was smart enough to avoid antivirus detection every time. Either way, those 2 reasons are why I don't run AV anymore, but that's just me.
Close your doors even if there are no thieves anymore.
Quote:
That being said, I do have firewalls enabled, so make sure firewalls are active so that hackers can't break into your machine.
The topic is about viruses, not hackers. Viruses may come from web sites or especially from USB stuff.. btw, do you (all) remember when almost all brands were including a write-protection in their USB sticks ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
People may say that I'm crazy, but I never trust such surveys as everything official. Only tests from persons that we know should be reliable.
Quote:
so I'm back Microsoft Security essential which is enough for me
I remember when you were hurried to help me about some viruses problems. MSE was just blind when Avast! cleaned up my OS but was unable to repair infected files, Avira was able.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
As Arkshine said, you need minimal defense if you know what you're doing.
This is a correct behaviour, it needs some experience to understand viruses behaviour, but.. Helping softwares are a must !
(1) I'm always criticizing the almighty (I know, it's Kaspersky) antivirus, and now I have an explanation:
Some months ago, I've repaired a friend's computer, scanned (firstly manually) its HDD using Avira and found a lot of viruses, Installed Caspersky.

some weeks ago, I've found a suspicious hidden executable file(2), a Caspersky scan showed that 8 other persons already scanned that file at the same day, I deleted it. Some days later I have found it (and another one) again and again.. Scanned the HDD in my computer, Avira detected more than 300 viruses while the other shitty one found nothing.. Some months were not enough to see some useful updates ? Weird..

Put those two files in my USB stick and brought them to an engineer working in a huge company. His Caspersky has a different interface, found the two viruses and another harmless autorun.inf file immediatly. Astonished, I've asked for the "why", why it doesn't detect those viruses in my friend's computer, the answer was really weird: "there is a difference between a professional and normal licence".
(2) The file has a suspicious behaviour: Hidden file that regenerates after being deleted.

Last edited by ANTICHRISTUS; 06-19-2015 at 15:01.
claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 06-19-2015 , 17:45   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #13

I'd copy-paste Potato Uno's message.
Veteran Member
Old 06-19-2015 , 23:49   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #14

If you don't have anti-virus, I recommend that you no longer use any web search engine . . . but seriously, having no anti-virus is just dumb.

Last edited by fysiks; 06-19-2015 at 23:49.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-20-2015 , 02:24   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #15

You can choose to run software for an extra level of protection or you can choose to run no software and just use your brain in order to do things safetly instead but either way, I'd recommend you run advertisement blocking software/addons of some kind since advertisements can really drag your system down with all sorts of nasty things.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2015 , 02:26   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
You can choose to run software for an extra level of protection or you can choose to run no software and just use your brain in order to do things safetly instead but either way, I'd recommend you run advertisement blocking software/addons of some kind since advertisements can really drag your system down with all sorts of nasty things.
Your brain doesn't control what loads on webpages regardless of how much you think you trust the website.

Last edited by fysiks; 06-20-2015 at 02:26.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-20-2015 , 02:43   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Your brain doesn't control what loads on webpages regardless of how much you think you trust the website.
That's why I said advertisement blocker.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2015 , 03:34   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
That's why I said advertisement blocker.
Which you are implying is basically just another anti-virus. . . It won't stop things that don't look like advertisements.
Old 06-20-2015 , 04:12   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
↑↑ Read above ↑↑
I bet you didn't read the long post I have made. FYI, My bicephalous brain was overflowed to think about what to write.
Old 06-20-2015 , 04:46   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Which you are implying is basically just another anti-virus. . . It won't stop things that don't look like advertisements.
Didn't say that, neither did I imply it. I'm just pointing out that having advertisement blocking software/addons is always beneficial since a good portion of advertisements do contain malicious code one way or another. I agree that running some form of antivirus/antimalware is good but It's up to the person if they want to install and use those. It also depends on which sites you visit on the daily, if you visit Facebook and that's it then having antivirus is pointless unless you click on advertisements you see at random because they look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTICHRISTUS View Post
I bet you didn't read the long post I have made. FYI, My bicephalous brain was overflowed to think about what to write.
tldr; I'll read it now.

Edit: Okay.

Last edited by Drixevel; 06-20-2015 at 04:49.