Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

SourceMod not working + how to set up for local server

Post New Thread Reply   

SFJake
Old 09-19-2011 , 12:52   SourceMod not working + how to set up for local server
Reply With Quote #1

Let me just tell you, I apologize, but this really is the most annoying piece of software I have run across in my lifetime, in term of instructions and workability, in term of -never- being successful in getting it to work on the first time. I have set up some mighty complex things, but this? I just never get it! Ever!

So, following this tradition, the only reason I'm here is because I want console commands available in my local server, something which Valve took out which I strongly disagree with.

I followed various tutorials including video tutorials to install Sourcemod, using the latest version of sourcemod and metamod. Got the metamod.vdf file in place, too. But nothing is working.

-It asks me for -insecure when I open up the game, otherwise nothing loads.

-If I add -insecure, I have no idea or way to test if it works (the popup prevents me from using the console, I close the popup the console disappears, and I can only open the console in game.......).

-Trying to open any sort of game (single player or local server), the loading will start and the game will instantly disappear/crashes, no error message.

According to the tradition as well, I'm already completely discouraged and with search telling me nothing about what I might have missed, I'm resorting to this post. What is wrong?
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-19-2011 , 13:07   Re: SourceMod not working + how to set up for local server
Reply With Quote #2

SourceMod is intended for dedicated servers and won't work on listen servers (that ship with the game) without the -insecure switch.

I have no idea why the console is closing on you, though.
Old 09-19-2011 , 13:17   Re: SourceMod not working + how to set up for local server
Reply With Quote #3

That issue is related to how Valve loves to have their console key to a key that doesn't work on non-US keyboard. I bound it to another key, but those other key never work in the menu.

But I shouldn't need to use the console for it to work, it would just be handy to check if its installed correctly in the first place, I'm guessing.

I understand that you have to play Sourcemod with -insecure, but why is it crashing?