Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

random array

Post New Thread Reply   

Acid07
Old 07-21-2009 , 10:18   random array
Reply With Quote #1

i would like to be able to make an array of up to 3 sounds and randomly choose one to play when i give the command to. could anyone give me help this will be my first proper plugin ive attempted.
olj
Veteran Member
Old 07-21-2009 , 17:12   Re: random array
Reply With Quote #2

Well, since i managed to make an array of CVARS, i think you can easily make an array of sounds and use some randomize function to invoke them. Im noob myself at coding, but that code worked perfectly for CVARS array.

PHP Code:
new Handle:MobArray[3];

public 
OnPluginStart()
{
MobArray[0] = FindConVar("z_mega_mob_size");   //     put 
MobArray[1] = FindConVar("z_mob_spawn_max_size");// sounds 
MobArray[2] = FindConVar("z_mob_spawn_min_size");    //  here

Just learn how to get sounds and find how to use randomizing. Anyway i think that more experienced coders will give you something more valuable.
paegus
Old 07-22-2009 , 09:32   Re: random array
Reply With Quote #3

use GetRandomInt() and EmitSoundToAll() like so..
Code:
// ... #define MAXSOUNDS 3 // ... const String:szSounds[MAXSOUNDS][] = {  "path/to/sound.wav",  "path/to/another/sound.mp3",  "more/paths/to/more/sounds.wav" } // ... public Action:cmd_playsound(client, args) {  //...  EmitSoundToAll(szSounds[GetRandomInt(0,MAXSOUNDS-1)]) // -1 because arrays start from 0 instead of 1.  //... } //...

Last edited by paegus; 07-22-2009 at 14:44. Reason: oops
Dragonshadow
BANNED
Old 07-22-2009 , 11:44   Re: random array
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paegus View Post
use GetRandomInt() and EmitSoundToAll() like so..
Code:
// ... #define MAXSOUNDS 3 // ... static const String:szSounds[MAXSOUNDS][] = { "path/to/sound.wav",
"path/to/another/sound.mp3",
"more/paths/to/more/sounds.wav" } // ... public Action:cmd_playsound(client, args) { //... EmitSoundToAll(szSounds[GetRandomInt(0,MAXSOUNDS-1)]) // -1 because arrays start from 0 instead of 1. //... } //...

I'm doing something similar, just with strings, may I ask why you use static const instead of new? (I've read the wiki but I still don't get statics nor consts)
p3tsin
Old 07-22-2009 , 12:15   Re: random array
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
I'm doing something similar, just with strings, may I ask why you use static const instead of new? (I've read the wiki but I still don't get statics nor consts)
The wiki page is pretty straight forward. Although its quite possible you got confused because of improper use of the static keyword in the last post. Theres no reason to use static global variables in the main plugin file.

Const is obviously short for constant, it simply makes you unable to modify the values after variable declaration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
It is a good idea to use const in array parameters if you know the array won't be modified; this can prevent coding mistakes.
Back to the original topic. Dont forget to precache and add the sound files to the download table if youll be using EmitSoundToAll. The precaching part can be left out if youre using the "play" client command.