Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

PODBot acting too stupid

Post New Thread Reply   

uyq
Zero Posts
Old 11-01-2021 , 14:56   PODBot acting too stupid
Reply With Quote #1

Sometimes I feel like playing classic CS against bots so I play Condition Zero with the bots that come with it, which were written by Turtle Rock, iirc. They are not that bad but they are somewhat primitive. As an example I've found that in de_dust2 the terrorists are heavily biased towards planting in B. That kind of trivialises the game if you are a CT.

As an alternative I decided to install the PODBot bots over 1.6 and, well... they are much better in some regards, and then much worse in others. What really grinds my gears is the inability of terrorists to even plant the bomb at all. One would think that the primary focus of a bot who is carrying the bomb alone in a bombsite would be to plant the bomb. Nope. Very often the bot takes the bomb with it for a stroll. And then some bots get stuck strafing right and left in the same line until the end of the round. Lots of stuff like that.

My first instinct was to assume that the bots were using automatic waypoints or something like that, but it seems PODBot comes with its own set of manually generated waypoints which shouldn't have these issues.

Are my PODBots broken somehow? Or am I expecting too much from 20 year old bots? Any alternatives? Thanks!

Last edited by uyq; 11-02-2021 at 10:47.
Fiercetree
Old 11-01-2021 , 19:48   Re: PODBot acting too stupid
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyq View Post
Sometimes I feel like playing classic CS against bots so I play Condition Zero with the bots that come with it, which were written by Turtle Entertainment, iirc. They are not that bad but they are somewhat primitive. As an example I've found that in de_dust2 the terrorists are heavily biased towards planting in B. That kind of trivialises the game if you are a CT.

As an alternative I decided to install the PODBot bots over 1.6 and, well... they are much better in some regards, and then much worse in others. What really grinds my gears is the inability of terrorists to even plant the bomb at all. One would think that the primary focus of a bot who is carrying the bomb alone in a bombsite would be to plant the bomb. Nope. Very often the bot takes the bomb with it for a stroll. And then some bots get stuck strafing right and left in the same line until the end of the round. Lots of stuff like that.

My first instinct was to assume that the bots were using automatic waypoints or something like that, but it seems PODBot comes with its own set of manually generated waypoints which shouldn't have these issues.

Are my PODBots broken somehow? Or am I expecting too much from 20 year old bots? Any alternatives? Thanks!
Try being a CT on a hostage map using PODBOT. All of the bots often attempt to rescue the hostages (constantly telling them to follow/stay etc) when near them, resulting in the hostages never being rescued.

It really just depends on who created the waypoint file, and for what map. There also may be updated waypoint files for that particular map. If you have problems with the bots in Podbot, I can only recommend to fix the waypoint file, or create your own, which from the research I've seen, I personally find pretty difficult.

In my opinion, the bots that come with CZ are much smarter than the ones in PODBOT, plus on most maps they automatically learn the map. No need to create waypoints.

Last edited by Fiercetree; 11-01-2021 at 19:53.
uyq
Zero Posts
Old 11-05-2021 , 06:37   Re: PODBot acting too stupid
Reply With Quote #3

I've found that CS:S comes with bots and they aren't that bad. They seem like an iteration of the CZ bots. So I've settled with those.
WATCH_DOGS UNITED
BANNED
Old 11-10-2021 , 08:05   Re: PODBot acting too stupid
Reply With Quote #4

You can ask for our friend here to fix the waypoints.

You can also test our Aim Realism bots.

Last edited by WATCH_DOGS UNITED; 11-10-2021 at 08:14.
JennyMalin
Zero Posts
Old 12-07-2021 , 13:57   Re: PODBot acting too stupid
Reply With Quote #5

Such a warm community. I love making impacts and changing someone for the better. This is the place definitely.

Last edited by JennyMalin; 04-07-2022 at 13:01.