Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

medic917
Old 11-02-2014 , 21:04   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikooo777 View Post
i'm surprised nobody nominated ovh so far. You can get servers with permanent DDoS protection and forget about these attacks.

Dam thats the closest thing to what I need as far as service and price.
The only issue for me is the hd space for the dedicated vps plans and also I couldn't find info on the type of cpu they have.

What plan are you using?

Last edited by medic917; 11-02-2014 at 21:08.
hlstriker
Green Gaben
Old 11-04-2014 , 02:36   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikooo777 View Post
i'm surprised nobody nominated ovh so far. You can get servers with permanent DDoS protection and forget about these attacks.
If only it were true... although attacks aren't nearly as bad as with most other providers.
skinheadxtreme
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-04-2014 , 08:01   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Contact Voxility they have US servers 500gbps of protection should be enough
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 11-04-2014 , 22:23   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
so ive been using nfo for over 2 years, ive been ddosed a few times, most of the times they just filter it and sometimes the attack is too big so they just null route for 8 hours at a time.

almost 8 months has gone by since the last big attack, i love nfo they are really good hosts especially in as a GSP but they have virtually no ddos protection and ive been getting hit for the second day straight now and the attacks have been on and off

My servers are located at their LA center which has 20,000 mb bandwidth

https://www.nfoservers.com/networklocations.php

i need help finding a good host with good ddos protection that actually filters bad packets out instead of just null routing the server, i was thinking of OVH but they have no servers in the US
I use OVH, my server is located in Quebec, Canada. I swore I saw some US options when I signed up there. EDIT: http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/. I pay $40/month for mine, lowest OVH has to offer is $49/month.

Now I've heard through the grapevine that you and your community like to run DoS attacks against other communities who run the same gamemode, in an effort to keep traffic coming to your servers. Whether or not that is true is not entirely known right now so I can't comment on that, but I can comment on denial of service attacks in general:

Nothing pisses me off more than trying to run servers and having some idiot run denial of service attacks on them. I spend my hard-earned money on my dedicated server so I can run gameservers off of it, not to have it get hit by DoS attacks because some 12 year old found a script online and thinks he's hot shit.

Running DoS attacks on other communities because they're running the same (paid/unpaid) gamemode as you is pretty damn pathetic too. I've seen this happen in the past to friends and it's a pretty damn sad thing to see.

I seriously hope the allegations against you aren't true, regardless. Don't make me regret helping you.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 11-04-2014 at 22:27.
medic917
Old 11-05-2014 , 13:03   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

anyways, i think it's great to share what we use and hopefully we can all find one company that offers great ddos protection with a great price.

I've been doing a lot of searching lately.
Seems like the ovh branches are the best, and kimsufi (an ovh branch) has the cheapest dedicated servers for a decent specs and ddos protection.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-05-2014 , 19:14   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic917 View Post
anyways, i think it's great to share what we use and hopefully we can all find one company that offers great ddos protection with a great price.

I've been doing a lot of searching lately.
Seems like the ovh branches are the best, and kimsufi (an ovh branch) has the cheapest dedicated servers for a decent specs and ddos protection.
There are a bunch of factors when you shop for a server, dedicated or whatever and to me the most important is reliability and latency. I chose chicago since its central to everyone in the US and Canada plus you still can reach a decent ping from EU locations to it so you can reach a wider player base.
I was on the fence with two companies one in Dallas and one in Chicago mostly due to the backbone locations when I'm still about 1000 to 1500 miles away from either location for myself it was all about being central so I stuck to Frag ready and Chicago... cheap, reliable and with their future upgrades coming I couldn't pass it up.
Dr_Knuckles
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-05-2014 , 19:29   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumsar View Post
As Horsedick said, FragReady is a very good alternative to nfo.

The best part is probably their support, they usually get back to you within a few hours.
NFO responds to tickets in ~2-3 minutes averagely.
Old 11-05-2014 , 21:52   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Ideally you will have boxes at multiple locations. If people want to ddos them all, so be it, you can't stop it. The internet was not designed for this, its old, and single nodes will always be vulnerable. Imo, for the price you have to pay for lackluster ddos mitigation, you could just open multiple sites. Since it's a risk to run a ddos (either being discovered, having your zombies found, etc), and there is a cost (paying someone to do it, or an opportunity cost), it becomes more and more problematic for attackers when there are multiple sites.
PresidentEvil
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-05-2014 , 22:17   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Ideally you will have boxes at multiple locations. If people want to ddos them all, so be it, you can't stop it. The internet was not designed for this, its old, and single nodes will always be vulnerable. Imo, for the price you have to pay for lackluster ddos mitigation, you could just open multiple sites. Since it's a risk to run a ddos (either being discovered, having your zombies found, etc), and there is a cost (paying someone to do it, or an opportunity cost), it becomes more and more problematic for attackers when there are multiple sites.
yea let me pay $1000+/per month to host my servers in 5 different locations around the country

lol
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 11-05-2014 , 23:10   Re: getting ddosed into oblivion need a new host with better mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
yea let me pay $1000+/per month to host my servers in 5 different locations around the country

lol
Why not just switch your server from the LA location to another one?
Closed Thread