whats is the best os for hlds server

Post New Thread Reply   

MAUGHOLD
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 19:49   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I didn't say anything about AMX Mod X being OS independent. The plugins themselves are interpreted by AMX Mod X, not by the OS (afaik). I'd be interested to find out what plugin were having issues on Linux but not Windows. I know there are some functions that you can break by specifying an incorrect linux offset which would cause the issue that you describe.
Well even if the plugins aren't OS specific, if they have to be interpreted by software that is, the OS will matter at some point. Don't you think ?

I can tell you right now that one of the plugins was dod_killing spree and I will track down what the others were and post back.
{FJ}Justice STEAM_0:0:633975 If anyone needs any help with their server, Just add me to steam friends and I'll help you out.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 19:58   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #12

If plugins were, in some way, OS dependent then a [single, successful] webcompiler couldn't exist.

Was that the killing spree by Vet?

Anyways, we are too offtopic now. PMs can be used for further discussion of this.
Old 01-29-2014 , 20:19   Re: whats is the best os for hlds server
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
If plugins were, in some way, OS dependent then a [single, successful] webcompiler couldn't exist.

Was that the killing spree by Vet?
Yes thats Vet's plugin.

Anyway back to the topic, I'm sure if you either tried windows 2008r2 with Hpet fully enabled, or played on my servers, you would instantly notice a huge difference in object position calculation, which is what sys_ticrate is all about, it doesn't allow the CPU to sleep as much so the game engine can faster calculate the X.Y.Z position of where the enemy is standing in 3D space so when you aim, your actually aiming where the players model is. The server then sends those positional updates out to the client so their computers can have the most accurate information for aiming, which in turn makes for better server to client side bullet paths. In short, more accurate shots.

P.S. most people think they have HPET enabled just because its says it is in their bios, if your running windows7, Hpet is not running by default.
You must enabled it using an elevated CMD prompt.

Conclusion: Windows server 2008r2 enterprise for the server & windows7 with Hpet fully enabled for the clients.
{FJ}Justice STEAM_0:0:633975 If anyone needs any help with their server, Just add me to steam friends and I'll help you out.

Last edited by MAUGHOLD; 01-29-2014 at 20:34.