Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

(Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Github

Post New Thread Reply   

Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2022 , 20:06   (Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Github
Reply With Quote #1

This plugin works with any Source game, but the configs are setup for Left 4 Dead 2.

This is an early dev build, but it's the first stable build with all of the expected features.
There may be bugs, and it would be great if people that test it out report them via the issues section of the Github, so they're all in one place for me to review and sort.
Because of the stage of development, documentation is not complete. If you have contributions to make to it, please let me know.

I do have plans on transitioning this plugin to new syntax, and Silvers has been kind enough to offer to help with it. This will be done before the v1.0 release, pending both of us having the availability.

While I have a lot of refactoring left to do, I've spent the last year actively redesigning/programming a rebuild of several core systems of RPGMaker v1. The Class system is completely-removed and replaced with a very, very open-ended, and possibly of unlimited freedom, Node Map-based system.

Some of the new features include:
Auras - special ammos that are tethered to individual players as opposed to remaining in one static location.
Reactive Talents - Perform a certain action, and if a certain event occurs within a short time-window, certain effects will happen. Think: Parry/Riposte.
Effect over Time Talents - Perform a certain action or be involved in a certain event, and for a period of time a certain effect, such as increased damage, is active.
Multiple-Phase Talents - When one talents buff ends and goes on cooldown, who says that has to be the last of it? Now, nodes can link to other nodes, firing each other off when the previous ends, to create effect cycles, unique to whatever build you come up with.

And so much more...

My first stable build of RPG Maker 2 (RPG Construction Set) is available at https://github.com/IAmMyka/left-4-de...2/v0.0.4%20DEV

This is the same build and config that is currently running on my dev server @ skyrpg.org:27025
The build running on our public server listed in our steamgroup is RPGMaker1 @ skyrpg.org:27015.

Al3xander
Old 12-09-2022 , 18:59   Re: (Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Githu
Reply With Quote #2

This looks very interesting... looking forward to seeing more updates from this
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-13-2022 , 13:40   Re: (Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Githu
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xander View Post
This looks very interesting... looking forward to seeing more updates from this
Here we go. I generally have daily or bi-daily updates pushed to the github.
I've made a lot of changes to how information is displayed, along with some other bug fixes and optimizations.

With this update, I also added support for a talent type called "Attributes," which is exactly what it sounds like.

Previously, attributes were hard-coded and could only be changed in name. Now, server operators can create as many attributes as they want, and connect them to as many (if any) nodes as they want.

Attributes can be made to count towards layer nodes required, but by default I set them to not count, so they're more of an "optional" set of nodes.

The key for attributes is in the highlighted area:

Right now, there's support for maybe 15 different node types, and then variations on those. I'd like to make it possible for it to be so flexible to server operators that it would border on overwhelming. The RPG should be your oyster. So, if anyone has any suggestions or requests, or just saw a talent or buff/debuff in another game that you'd like to see an inspired evolution of, let me know!
Al3xander
Old 12-14-2022 , 00:34   Re: (Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Githu
Reply With Quote #4

That's pretty cool, I was able to try out the plugin for a bit on the servers you have listed on the steam group and I enjoyed it so far. Do you have like a roadmap for features you are planning/thinking of adding?

Last edited by Al3xander; 12-14-2022 at 00:35.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-14-2022 , 21:26   Re: (Old Syntax) RPGMaker2 (RPG Construction Set) v0.0.4 DEV Branch released on Githu
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xander View Post
That's pretty cool, I was able to try out the plugin for a bit on the servers you have listed on the steam group and I enjoyed it so far. Do you have like a roadmap for features you are planning/thinking of adding?
I'm working on developing 10 total layers for the talentmenu config to show-case all of the different node types that can be in the mod. Once that's done, my goal is to start work on the persistent-loot (think: Diablo meets Left 4 Dead 2) which will drop mods you can equip that will give you attribute bonuses and a bonus to a node you currently have unlocked. I'm constantly refactoring the existing code as I go, though. The next update that gets pushed should see significant optimizations in that regard.

That's all that's planned, though. I do have a desired end-point, but that's both because it's really-customizable and because it's a hobby project, and I think with what will be provided that people can construct their very own RPGs from it without having to write any actual code. That, and, when it's done, we're going to transition it to the new syntax and getting that version working may take some time, if it can be done at all.

Last edited by Skyy; 12-14-2022 at 21:28.