But a moderator took it out.
sounds a bit like an urban legend to me
Old 03-02-2013 , 10:59   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOR View Post
sounds a bit like an urban legend to me
Its not a legend check it out:
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...=209452&page=2

I've also tried it on his server and redirect worked like a charm.
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2013 , 11:36   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

i don't understand the reaction of the AM admin though. was the guy offering a download for a patched client or something? otherwise no licenses of Valve were violated whatsoever. sometimes i think the AM guys are trying to play lawyers and they fail horribly at it.
you cannot "ban" someone from pointing out a way how a specific command can still be used within the UNMODIFIED game. it would be like using an undocumented feature, it's not illegal. not even almighty Valve can prevent it, it's just nonsense. they cannot enforce it by law, issuing a gag order on someone...

i start to think at some point in the past AM must have been sued by Valve or at least got threatened by them in some way. there is no other explanation i could think of for this ridiculously anxious behavior. Valve-o-phobic
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-02-2013 , 15:56   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

It was removed because it is very clear that Valve wants this command, plus several others, blocked. So why provide workarounds when they are clearly against the protections Valve has in place? If you believe I was in the wrong, feel free to get another Mod or Admin's feedback. If they tell me to restore it, I will.

I personally have never liked this command, but I understand its benefit. Too bad it got abused.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2013 , 17:35   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

i don't think i understand the idea of "liking" a command. it's just a command and it fulfills a certain function. Valve tries to remove it from being used remotely - not only did they fail with that multiple times, it's also the wrong way to solve their fake server problem. if they really care to update their old-timers, why not add a client query like other games do it ("do you want to be redirected to...")? or add a score system like TF2 has to sort out the bad ones?

the irony is that while you on the "good" side block information about a workaround the "bad" boards won't, those setting up fake servers with it will get the information earlier than people doing plug-ins that provide features to players. you're doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.

questions are not about forum posts being blocked. the question is that should i get the information how to circumvent it (if it's really possible), will my plug-in get blocked too when i update it to make use of the workaround (which i have already done twice in the past)? if that is the case, you can as well close this sub-forum now. if it's not the case...how does it match the idea of deleting posts with informations about it?

Last edited by xOR; 03-02-2013 at 17:38.
Melisko
Old 03-04-2013 , 13:42   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

Show it please... It feels rly bad when I run legal Steam server and I cant use it, but it works on Non-Steam servers...
sonel
Old 03-04-2013 , 13:54   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

Well i dont get it..
If xredirect is an high traffic plugin and has been used for years, why shouldn't it be now?
Valve has done the worst thing to cs with the new update and you guys keep supporting it...
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 03-04-2013 , 17:26   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

now that i found a Valve developer is collecting ways around the command blocking in a public discussion on a related github issue i find it even more strange to block people from saying them here on AM.
right now it is even ending with an idea that is supposed to work on the most recent beta (though i haven't tested it myself), for everyone to see. or will this link to the page officially supported by Valve now get removed too?

i must say this alfred-valve guy is doing it right, a public discussion where people bring in their findings is probably the only way to finally block it without still leaving a loophole. it means that an upcoming release will for sure prevent the command from being used once and for good.

not good for xREDIRECT, but getting rid of fake/slowhacking servers isn't a bad idea and the good news is that alfred-valve has said that this suggestion by xPaw is on his TODO list here. people who read this and want this happen: maybe it helps if you also post a comment there that you want this features, so they see it's a popular demand.
as soon as such a legit way for redirection with player permission is provided by the game i'll be here to make xREDIRECT use it.

until then we can just hope that the gap between blocking the old way and providing a new way won't be too big.

Last edited by xOR; 03-04-2013 at 17:34.
Podarok
BANNED
Old 03-10-2013 , 04:42   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

Thats why i prefer not to update atm. Lots of plugins are not gonna work and new versions are not stable
Nextra
Veteran Member
Old 03-13-2013 , 06:59   Re: UPDATE cs 1.6 xredirect does not work

Doesn't matter if you update your server or not. The command is blocked client side.

Last edited by Nextra; 03-13-2013 at 06:59.
Closed Thread